#2 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

Comptroller of ChopSticks & Ghey Bach Chow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6277 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 12 February 2020 - 02:25 PM

Huge pet peeve of mine, really wish people would quit doing it.

#3 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2344 posts
  • LocationBalmer, Merlin, Hon

Posted 12 February 2020 - 03:51 PM

oh, did the light change while I was texting?

#4 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110132 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 12 February 2020 - 03:54 PM

Whew. I thought you were spying on me!

#5 wpr

wpr

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9217 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:02 PM

I only read texts at red lights or during slow traffic scenarios. Perfectly safe.

#6 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28894 posts
  • LocationKC - Kansas side

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:22 PM

I don't touch my phone when behind the wheel unless I'm parked. 

And yes it is so nice to be flipped off by the person in front of me when I honk because they were fecking with their phone and made me miss the light.

#7 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28894 posts
  • LocationKC - Kansas side

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:29 PM

The summer before last I was out walking the dog and a young teen on a bike was approaching on the sidewalk.  I stepped aside and held the dog out of the way.  Turns out I didn't need to.  He was texting, ran off the sidewalk before he got to us and then crashed.

I asked him if he was anxious to get his driver's license and do that for real.

#8 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 62693 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:29 PM

we had a chicago cop get busted on social media watching pr0n on his phone while parked on a street

#9 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41741 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 12 February 2020 - 05:05 PM

I can hold my phone, or my beer.  But muh free palm's pressing down.

#10 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5717 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 12 February 2020 - 11:04 PM

I only read texts at red lights or during slow traffic scenarios. Perfectly safe.

I hope you never roll into anyone, and I hope you never realize it is me honking at you after the light turns green :)

#11 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37430 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 13 February 2020 - 05:59 AM

we had a chicago cop get busted on social media watching pr0n on his phone while parked on a street

He was parked tho. Not driving

#12 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33868 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 13 February 2020 - 07:20 AM

I would support treating texting while driving similarly to alcohol.  Make it a condition of driver's license renewal that you must submit to a search of your phone records if you're in an accident.  Assuming that we have the technology to differentiate "active" interactions with the phone from passive ones, any active interaction within - say - 30 second before the accident and you're subject to an impaired driving statute as aggressive as DUI.  Something like one year loss of driving privileges for first offense, lifetime loss second offense.

#13 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14817 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 13 February 2020 - 07:24 AM

Android Auto or Apple Carplay. There are some nice aftermarket HU out there that offer these if you need to upgrade. Once you start using these app's you will wonder what took so long. Makes things much safer since you can use your voice and not touch your phone, ever.

With that said, texters and drivers are our bread and butter. Makes me sick though when driving our fire apparatus and looking down and seeing parents do this with their young children in the car. 

#14 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110132 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 13 February 2020 - 07:31 AM

I would support treating texting while driving similarly to alcohol. Make it a condition of driver's license renewal that you must submit to a search of your phone records if you're in an accident. Assuming that we have the technology to differentiate "active" interactions with the phone from passive ones, any active interaction within - say - 30 second before the accident and you're subject to an impaired driving statute as aggressive as DUI. Something like one year loss of driving privileges for first offense, lifetime loss second offense.

No.

How about people with concealed carry permits submit to inspections of the weapon and vehicle if there's ever an incident?

#15 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33868 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 13 February 2020 - 07:37 AM

No.

How about people with concealed carry permits submit to inspections of the weapon and vehicle if there's ever an incident?

Hello Mr NonSequitur, how are you this morning?  Purple? Well, that's great.  Have a nice day.

Inattentive driving is more dangerous than drunk driving, whereas driving while carrying concealed doesn't have any correlation at all to the chances of getting in an auto accident. 

#16 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37430 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 13 February 2020 - 07:40 AM

What if someone were inattentive because they were loading their gun?

#17 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110132 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 13 February 2020 - 08:07 AM

Hello Mr NonSequitur, how are you this morning? Purple? Well, that's great. Have a nice day.

Inattentive driving is more dangerous than drunk driving, whereas driving while carrying concealed doesn't have any correlation at all to the chances of getting in an auto accident.

Exactly. And can you prove you weren't having some ammosexual fantasy about your gun in the back seat rather than paying attention to the road? This is just a precautionary measure to make the roads safer, and you're just giving up a little bit of meaningless privacy. I'm sure you understand.

What if someone were inattentive because they were loading their gun?

Or unloading their gun while thinking about their gun. Or talking to a passenger about their gun. Or some other thought crime that may or may not have had any bearing on driver safety.

#18 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33868 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 13 February 2020 - 08:12 AM

Exactly. And can you prove you weren't having some ammosexual fantasy about your gun in the back seat rather than paying attention to the road? This is just a precautionary measure to make the roads safer, and you're just giving up a little bit of meaningless privacy. I'm sure you understand.

You're just trolling, but I'll play along. It would be perfectly Constitutional to make some kind of gun requirement a condition of driving.  It would be stupid, because there is no demonstrated correlation between guns and auto accidents, but it would be legal.  Don't like it, don't drive.  Just like we make giving up privacy about certain health problems a condition of driving.  Don't want the government knowing about your seizures, don't drive.  Just like we give up our rights against self-incrimination via blood tests or breathalyzers when driving drunk.  Don't want to give up that right, don't drive.

However, there IS a very strong correlation between distracted driving and accidents, a correlation stronger than drunk driving.

#19 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37430 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 13 February 2020 - 08:52 AM

I’d be concerned about what other data the cops have access to in your phone.

#20 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33868 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:29 AM

I’d be concerned about what other data the cops have access to in your phone.

Sure.  It's hard to catch all the particulars in a few sentences on a forum post.  An actual law should safeguard everything else for it to be acceptable.  Perhaps just explicitly allowing police to subpoena specific, scrubbed data from your provider?  Where you using the phone actively or not is all they should be able to know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users