#1 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21142 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 11 February 2020 - 09:03 PM

That was renting this FAMILY HOUSE as a single person when it was remodeled and they let that idiot put in a single bay kitchen sink (other bay is drying rack...). We have HATED that shit since day 1 but the market is a bitch here so compromises... well the dishwasher shit the bed Thursday. Told the landlord it was old and likely needed to just be replaced, the calls he made said the same yet still wants to wait till this thurs for someone to come look. Doing daily dishes (all home meals no out to eat) family of 5 in a fecking single bay sink SUCKS!

Yes we’re watching the market to get out from this shit but finding a reasonable hone with reasonable schools that isn’t both kidneys is a bitch.

Edited by pods8, 11 February 2020 - 09:04 PM.

#2 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

Comptroller of ChopSticks & Ghey Bach Chow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6277 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 11 February 2020 - 09:52 PM

I had a tenant that needed a dishwasher replaced. I had an appliance repair place check it out, recommended replacement, but didn't have one that day. Had trouble getting someone out there promptly. Finding someone to replace had some no shows and whatnot, so I gave them a discount on their rent. Wasn't a lot, but I at least made the attempt to show I wanted to be fair.

Two points is like to make. One, it's sometimes a bitch to find people worth a crap that are reliable. Two, if it goes too long it's reasonable to request a discount.

#3 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21142 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 11 February 2020 - 09:59 PM

Main thing is I and others basically said replace the thing vs sending a repairman first esp a dishwasher. That guy will confirm Thursday and then he’ll need to pursue replacement after wasting time and paying the first service call.

I explained it died mid cycle full of water, no breaker trip and no setting works, it’s an old dial/push button one. It’s ran it’s course.

And also that idiot “interior designer” still needs a C punch for that ridiculous sink choice they trusted her with. :P

Edited by pods8, 11 February 2020 - 10:01 PM.

#4 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10782 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 11 February 2020 - 10:10 PM

If it has a freaking dial, anyone in their right mind knows you replace it, and don't spend more than 30 seconds troubleshooting it.

#5 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4073 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 10:16 PM

I’ve got a single bay sink and actually like it. Washing dishes doesn’t seem extremely difficult. Rinse dishes, fill halfway with soapy water and wash while rinsing with running water, drain a little off as needed. On the other hand I can wash oversized shit I couldn’t in a split sink without going out to the garage where I have a commercial double bay sink.
I bought a rack that rolls out over the top of half of the sink for drying if I don’t just towel them off.
Of course I’m not washing dishes for 5-6 people either so there’s that.

#6 Area Man

Area Man

Comptroller of Geometry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8758 posts
  • LocationAbilizzle

Posted 11 February 2020 - 10:52 PM

That was renting this FAMILY HOUSE as a single person when it was remodeled and they let that idiot put in a single bay kitchen sink (other bay is drying rack...). We have HATED that shit since day 1 but the market is a bitch here so compromises... well the dishwasher shit the bed Thursday. Told the landlord it was old and likely needed to just be replaced, the calls he made said the same yet still wants to wait till this thurs for someone to come look. Doing daily dishes (all home meals no out to eat) family of 5 in a fecking single bay sink SUCKS!

Yes we’re watching the market to get out from this shit but finding a reasonable hone with reasonable schools that isn’t both kidneys is a bitch.

Weren't you the guy who decided to build a camper for his truck from scratch rather than just buying one? Now washing dishes in the sink is too much to handle? :D

I get the inconvenience, but I don't understand the outrage. The single bay sink was there when you signed the agreement, I assume.

#7 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6277 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 12 February 2020 - 03:37 AM

Main thing is I and others basically said replace the thing vs sending a repairman first esp a dishwasher. That guy will confirm Thursday and then he’ll need to pursue replacement after wasting time and paying the first service call.

I explained it died mid cycle full of water, no breaker trip and no setting works, it’s an old dial/push button one. It’s ran it’s course.

And also that idiot “interior designer” still needs a C punch for that ridiculous sink choice they trusted her with. :P

#8 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6277 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 12 February 2020 - 03:41 AM

If it has a freaking dial, anyone in their right mind knows you replace it, and don't spend more than 30 seconds troubleshooting it.

You guys are competent. Many/most renters are not. Most have to be walked through how to reset a garbage disposal. Sometimes garbage disposals need replaced. 99% just an Allen wrench and 2 minutes fixes it. Dishwashers often "don't work" because the basket is dirty and doesn't drain because the tenant doesn't know to empty it (if not a grinder type).

If landlords just replaced things at the whim of the tenants word, money would be thrown out the window. You'd be surprised.

#9 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110132 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:37 AM

You guys are competent. Many/most renters are not. Most have to be walked through how to reset a garbage disposal. Sometimes garbage disposals need replaced. 99% just an Allen wrench and 2 minutes fixes it. Dishwashers often "don't work" because the basket is dirty and doesn't drain because the tenant doesn't know to empty it (if not a grinder type).

If landlords just replaced things at the whim of the tenants word, money would be thrown out the window. You'd be surprised.

I can definitely see that. I'd probably make a horrible landlord because I'd just be inclined to go check everything out myself until I had enough properties that it made sense to just hire a full time guy that I trusted.

#10 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28894 posts
  • LocationKC - Kansas side

Posted 12 February 2020 - 05:40 AM

Paper plates

#11 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21142 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 12 February 2020 - 05:45 AM

I’ve got a single bay sink and actually like it. Washing dishes doesn’t seem extremely difficult. Rinse dishes, fill halfway with soapy water and wash while rinsing with running water, drain a little off as needed. On the other hand I can wash oversized shit I couldn’t in a split sink without going out to the garage where I have a commercial double bay sink.
I bought a rack that rolls out over the top of half of the sink for drying if I don’t just towel them off.
Of course I’m not washing dishes for 5-6 people either so there’s that.

It’s not an oversized single bay sink, it’s just one side of a normal 2 bay sink (the cheap not deep ones), it’s small and a pain in the ass for stuff like this. Oversized stuff sucks too trying to manipulate to keep the water draining in the sink when rinsing it off, there is no sprayer.

Edit here it is (she also picked that backsplash):

0UKkdcfl.jpg

Weren't you the guy who decided to build a camper for his truck from scratch rather than just buying one? Now washing dishes in the sink is too much to handle? :D

I get the inconvenience, but I don't understand the outrage. The single bay sink was there when you signed the agreement, I assume.

We’ve hated that sink since day 1 but made due, it’s amplified displeasure washing a stack of dishes cooking/serving 5 at meals generates.

Ed Zachary

Edited by pods8, 12 February 2020 - 05:56 AM.

#12 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6277 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 12 February 2020 - 05:45 AM

I can definitely see that. I'd probably make a horrible landlord because I'd just be inclined to go check everything out myself until I had enough properties that it made sense to just hire a full time guy that I trusted.

I'm in between those two points. I used to do almost everything, but at some point you need to delegate to grow. I currently self manage some property and have others that a manager deals with. I rarely do anything manual anymore, but do some things some times.

I own some outright and some in a 50/50 partnership, but my partner and I are looking to vertically integrate almost everything as we grow.

But to the point, you simply cannot take a tenants word for the problem description at face value. Gotta get eyes on the problem that usually know way more than the tenant about it. It's still the responsibility of the LL to repair things in a reasonable amount of time.

#13 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81396 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 06:04 AM

I don't think I've seen a sink like that outside of a bar.

#14 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21142 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 12 February 2020 - 06:09 AM

It’s horrible. As noted an “interior designer” was renting this prior and they let her make some choices during some renovations including that one. I can see a single person that doesn’t cook being okay with it, but to suggest it in a 3(4?) bedroom home?

Edited by pods8, 12 February 2020 - 06:09 AM.

#15 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10782 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 12 February 2020 - 06:24 AM

That faucet looks like a PITA as well.

#16 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45071 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 12 February 2020 - 06:25 AM

Fill a tub with hot soapy water and put to the left of the sink. Wash dishes in the tub and rinse in the sink.

#17 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31449 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 12 February 2020 - 06:39 AM

0UKkdcfl.jpg

You're living in a parked RV?

#18 dondewey

dondewey

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 12 February 2020 - 06:49 AM

If I'm living there for a couple of years, I'm probably just shelling out a couple hundred for a different sink. That would drive me crazy.

#19 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21142 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 12 February 2020 - 06:51 AM

That faucet looks like a PITA as well.

It is.

You're living in a parked RV?

Or a $500-600k suburb

If I'm living there for a couple of years, I'm probably just shelling out a couple hundred for a different sink. That would drive me crazy.

I kept hoping to move sooner...

Fill a tub with hot soapy water and put to the left of the sink. Wash dishes in the tub and rinse in the sink.

Or just have the dishwasher fixed sooner than later...

#20 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6277 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 12 February 2020 - 07:24 AM

That sink is absurd for anything other than a small efficiency type apartment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users