#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33689 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 09 February 2020 - 07:22 PM

Well my spare fridge in the garage took a crap this week. I had all my hops in it and some old beers. I emptied out the hops and I realized I have a ridiculous amount of hops. I think I have about 20 pounds of hops, multiple varieties. I think I could brew every week for the rest of the year and only go through about 1/4 of it. I have over 6 pounds of nugget. I bitter everything with nugget, but with 5 gallon batches I use almost an ounce in an entire brew. That's over 90 brews worth of nugget. I guess I need to rethink my hopping strategies so I can make a dent in this. My goal is not to buy any hops for the rest of the year.

#2 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 09 February 2020 - 07:44 PM

Ah man, That's one of the reasons I started using a 30 minute boil. I can use my first hop addition as a "flavor" hop. even though it was where I got most of my bettering from. 

As long as you have extra hops, start using them!

#3 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33689 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 08:51 PM

Yeah I see some IPA's in my near future.

#4 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 10 February 2020 - 07:30 AM

Oh! I just remembered that I really liked Toppiling Goliath's Golden Nugget, which is Golden Promise with nugget hops. Sounds like a good way to burn through some nugget!

#5 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5007 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 10 February 2020 - 07:35 AM

Rich, if you use Drezz's awesome hallmark hopping schedules, you might not have enough hops left by June ;) :)

#6 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33689 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 09:45 PM

Rich, if you use Drezz's awesome hallmark hopping schedules, you might not have enough hops left by June ;) :)

I doubt it. Even a really giant 5 gallon iipa will only have like 1lb of hops. I have over 25# of hops (counted it tonight). I'd have to brew IIPA once a week which isn't gonna happen.

#7 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5007 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 05:23 AM

I doubt it. Even a really giant 5 gallon iipa will only have like 1lb of hops. I have over 25# of hops (counted it tonight). I'd have to brew IIPA once a week which isn't gonna happen.

You'll shoot your eye out kid

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15736 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 11 February 2020 - 05:48 AM

I am in a similar spot. I think I have 30+ in the dedicated freezer and then found 3#'s of galaxy along with a few other pounds I forgot about in another fridge last night.  Part of the issue is my tastes have changed some so I am thinking more about lagers these days.  I do plan to use some of the galaxy is a galaxy golden lager soon.

#9 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5007 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 06:14 AM

I am in a similar spot. I think I have 30+ in the dedicated freezer and then found 3#'s of galaxy along with a few other pounds I forgot about in another fridge last night.  Part of the issue is my tastes have changed some so I am thinking more about lagers these days.  I do plan to use some of the galaxy is a galaxy golden lager soon.

Still agree with this.  I'm putting together an Amber Lager now and plan on hitting it with nothing more than Magnum to bitter and Hallertau to finish.  Driving off the urge to add an ounce of Cascade at whirlpool, which I think might be a nice addition.  I don't have a ton of hops but I do have some citrus ones that will eventually find their way into more beers like Saisons.  Just no interest in the big hoppy IPA or APA's these days.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15736 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 11 February 2020 - 06:22 AM

Just no interest in the big hoppy IPA or APA's these days.

I still like them and will be doing one this week to christen a new toy but overall I think I have done more lagers the last 2 years than hoppy beers.  One thing I want to try brewing more are IPLs.  I have grown tired of the sweet high FG hoppy beers and want to bring back the hops with a low finishing dry beer.

#11 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5007 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 06:32 AM

^^ [LIKE]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users