#1 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45071 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 05 February 2020 - 08:55 AM

Private employers added 291,000 jobs in January, soaring past economists' expectations for the best monthly gain in more than five years, according to the latest ADP National Employment Report.
The total far exceeded the 156,000 jobs that economists surveyed by Refinitiv were expecting.

The data precedes the release of more closely watched update from the Labor Department on Friday, which is expected to show the U.S. economy added 160,000 jobs last month. Analysts anticipate unemployment will hold steady at 3.5 percent, a half-century low.

We just keep banging away at unemployment. Pretty damn impressive.

#2 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81398 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 08:56 AM

Yeah, it's a good thing for sure. Hope it's sustainable.

#3 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37430 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:58 AM

I would love it if my wife found one. She’s working now but at like a third of what she used to make. They say pay is going up and there are tons of jobs but I’m honestly not seeing it around here. My city is at 8% unemployment

#4 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32305 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, Ia

Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:13 PM

We just keep banging away at unemployment. Pretty damn impressive.

What kind of jobs?  

I would love it if my wife found one. She’s working now but at like a third of what she used to make. They say pay is going up and there are tons of jobs but I’m honestly not seeing it around here. My city is at 8% unemployment

The problem is that a lot of the job creation is low paying jobs. 

#5 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35737 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:20 PM

What kind of jobs?  

I always wonder about this.  I just went to the bank because I needed some walking-around money for an upcoming vacation and it was more than my ATM limit.  ATMs took away someone's job years ago.  Being able to deposit a check (for those who still get a check) on your phone took someone else's job away too.  As a result there are like two people in my local BofA branch to do anything that is necessary (loans, notary public, issuing debit cards, helping someone trying to withdraw cash, etc).  Automation has taken a lot of jobs and it's hard to argue with progress.   

#6 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33868 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:29 PM

But then there are new jobs for people to design, build, maintain and fill those ATMs, plus all the people required to support those jobs.

#7 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35737 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:34 PM

But then there are new jobs for people to design, build, maintain and fill those ATMs, plus all the people required to support those jobs.

I assume so.  I also assume that the people who did the first job (a banker, for example) would not be doing the new job because it's very different.  That said, I would love to see people look at the low-paying jobs as an opportunity to get into something better over time.  No one really hits grand slams and makes bank immediately so if you're the type of person who is not overly marketable, take a shot at something that looks like it could turn into something better over time.  

#8 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41743 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:16 PM

I assume so.  I also assume that the people who did the first job (a banker, for example) would not be doing the new job because it's very different.  That said, I would love to see people look at the low-paying jobs as an opportunity to get into something better over time.  No one really hits grand slams and makes bank immediately so if you're the type of person who is not overly marketable, take a shot at something that looks like it could turn into something better over time.  

5 years ago there was no job for poor inept vagus. If we use my example in the role of the bank teller who is suddenly unviable, then you're right. The bank teller doesn't start servicing ATMs. He just ATMs for $$$$$

#9 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16020 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:36 PM

ATMs have been around for more than 30 years so, using ATMs as "job killers" is not the best example.

Overall, computers and software have gotten more powerful so, Manual manufacturing is mostly done by robots. Car makers used to employ large numbers of wielders, now, robots mostly build cars.

Same with package fulfillment and other lower wage/low skill jobs.

#10 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41743 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:37 PM

So now everyone works in IT

Do you wanna balloon, Georgie?

#11 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35737 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:46 PM

ATMs have been around for more than 30 years so, using ATMs as "job killers" is not the best example.

Overall, computers and software have gotten more powerful so, Manual manufacturing is mostly done by robots. Car makers used to employ large numbers of wielders, now, robots mostly build cars.

Same with package fulfillment and other lower wage/low skill jobs.

I mentioned the ATM because I slowly saw one branch of my bank disintegrate.  For those poor souls who use the driveup window, it would take about 5 minutes for someone to even acknowledge you were there.  Eventually they closed the driveup window.  Then one day the entire branch closed down because there is another one about 5 miles away.  It was a slow process that probably knocked a lot of people out of a job over time and across the country and it's just one example I was thinking about while standing in line.  

#12 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16020 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:50 PM

I mentioned the ATM because I slowly saw one branch of my bank disintegrate.  For those poor souls who use the driveup window, it would take about 5 minutes for someone to even acknowledge you were there.  Eventually they closed the driveup window.  Then one day the entire branch closed down because there is another one about 5 miles away.  It was a slow process that probably knocked a lot of people out of a job over time and across the country and it's just one example I was thinking about while standing in line.  

I get it. There are fewer jobs and bank branches due to a lot of consolidation in that industry. We have a BBT and Suntrust branches about 1/4 mile apart. BBT and Suntrust have merged. I'm betting they will close one of those branches soon.

#13 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28894 posts
  • LocationKC - Kansas side

Posted 05 February 2020 - 02:20 PM

2.8% around here which in effect raises the minimum wage

#14 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31449 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 05 February 2020 - 03:21 PM

2.6% here and 1.9% across the river.

She needs to either learn to code or stick a shotgun out the door and let off both barrels

#15 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20306 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 05 February 2020 - 03:45 PM

Super low unemployment here. Not sure the rate, offhand. Any available worker is the bottom of the barrel, unless you steal him from another company. Then you pay a premium for him.

#16 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81398 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 03:51 PM

Yep. One of my long time colleagues just got laid off... he lives in Denver and I bet he has a job by the end of the month.

#17 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45071 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 05 February 2020 - 04:19 PM

What kind of jobs?

Do I need to Google this?

#18 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35737 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 04:25 PM

Yep. One of my long time colleagues just got laid off... he lives in Denver and I bet he has a job by the end of the month.

Denver is a spendy town, right?  Bringing my son to Boulder, we have spent some time in Denver and a number of people both in town and at the airport have mentioned how pricey it is.  My niece was just out there too and said she thought things were expensive.  One waiter mentioned that he was only 'waitering' because his day gig was not enough to cover all of his expenses.  

#19 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81398 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 04:28 PM

Denver is a spendy town, right? Bringing my son to Boulder, we have spent some time in Denver and a number of people both in town and at the airport have mentioned how pricey it is. My niece was just out there too and said she thought things were expensive. One waiter mentioned that he was only 'waitering' because his day gig was not enough to cover all of his expenses.

Colorado is a pricey state. But in my experience Denver is just slightly less pricey than Boulder.

But yeah, when people come to visit they always remark on pretty much everything costing more in CO than wherever they came from, unless they came from California :D

#20 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45071 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 05 February 2020 - 05:14 PM

What kind of jobs?

Explain why this is bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users