#1 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11991 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:31 AM

I read recently that most Americans eat the same 5-7 meals over and over. This is hard for me to imagine, as we rarely have the same meal twice in the same month.

We made a "master list" of our regular meals and came up with mid-40's (we did this because we sometimes forget old favorites and don't want to get in a rut). We left off things like burgers, steaks, biscuits and gravy, wings, etc. that may not be particularly healthy and we just have a few times a year when we get a craving, as well as special occasion dishes, things with lengthier prep like barbecue, spur-of-the-moment dishes like omelets, etc.

What about you?

#2 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85214 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:36 AM

I would have to sit and think about it awhile but I suspect mine is similar to yours in scope. I also try not to cook the same thing twice in a month most of the time. In fact I so frequently try to make new things that it might be hard to come up with a lot of "regulars" to begin with.

#3 Matt

Matt

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36560 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:56 AM

Too many... My problem(not really a problem) is I’ll make a big pot of soup and I’ll eat it for 2-4 days in a row

#4 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43945 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:56 AM

Dunno, probably about 20 core meals with a number of variations. Usually eat the same breakfast and second breakfast. Lunch is some sort of sandwich.

#5 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21759 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:07 AM

We’re always rolling some new ones thru to try and retain the solid ones.

#6 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43946 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:08 AM

because of time constraints and what the kids will eat we might be as low as 15 for (regular) dinner type meals.  we already generally eat the same 2-3 meals over the course of a given week b/c I have to do most of the cooking on Sunday.

Edited by Mando, 12 January 2020 - 10:09 AM.

#7 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112411 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:15 AM

One

#8 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 65324 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:18 AM

Right now cooking as a bachelor I probably have 2-3 meals over and over cuz of shopping and leftovers, I try not to throw shut out so I may have the same meal 3-4x in a row

#9 Jabberdave

Jabberdave

Advanced Padawan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2779 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:34 AM

I'm guilty of cooking three huge pots of different stews, chili and some form of sauce that requires a pasta and then live on that for a week. Now that the Two Foot Tyrant is living here, I cook for her and she burns out quickly on a specific meal. I also cook a night in advance now so it's mostly ready for her when we get home in the evening. Even then I probably don't exceed 20 different meals in the regular rotation.

#10 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11991 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:50 AM

We’re always rolling some new ones thru to try and retain the solid ones.

This too, we try probably 2-3 new recipes a month, maybe 20-25% get added to the rotation.

#11 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35555 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:21 AM

Probably about 20.

#12 BuxomBrewster

BuxomBrewster

Snow White

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8372 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:56 AM

Personally, my diet is so restricted that I eat the same thing every day to every couple of days.  When all you can eat is salmon, sablefish, lamb, grass-fed beef, duck eggs (1 per day if I'm lucky), homemade soft goat cheese, asparagus, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, green beans, leeks, beef tallow and only one clove of garlic a day, you can only make so many different dishes.  Add in trying to hit 75% of my calories from fat, and I usually pick the proteins, then figure out how to get the veggies and fat to work.  

I make lunch for the employees, and that I try to have fun with.  I have some basics that show up every week, but it really depends on what I have in the fridge and needs to be eaten.  They usually get at least one new creation a week, one day of burgers, and the rest is whatever I feel like.  Dinners for the family get tricky.  I have one kid that is frustratingly picky.  She doesn't like chicken unless I mask it in an Asian dish or Indian curry.  She doesn't like fish, brussels sprouts, beets, and a collection of other things.  She gets bad headaches if she eats onions.  Add in needing to get the kids fed and out the door by 5:30 most evenings, and I fall in a rut and feed them burgers a lot.  I have a bunch of ground beef one pot stew type of things that I like to keep on hand for those evenings.  I have at least 5 different ones.  

#13 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45645 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 12:00 PM

Spaghetti is at least every ten days, because I loves it. We probably do 15 to 20 depending on the month. It also varies depending on what seafood is abundant at the time.

I am very guilty of ordering the same thing at a restaurant. I find something they do outstanding and that is what I want at that restaurant.

#14 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39891 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 12 January 2020 - 12:37 PM

Honestly there are probably only a handful of meals that I make regularly, but I cook all the time. Just don’t always do it exactly the same way. I go to the store, see what’s fresh and looks good and go from there.

#15 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24418 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:22 PM

Maybe only 7 or 8 that are in regular rotation.  Usually that's stuff I know how to make in a hurry on a busy evening.  However I could probably come up with a total of around 20 different things I make, many of them not too often because they take more time than I am willing to spend that particular day.  

#16 maddog

maddog

Comptroller of badogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7808 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:28 PM

It varies immensely. In a week with busy after school/work commitments, we might eat the same meal twice or even three times. In less busy times there is far more diversity in our schedule.

#17 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24418 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:52 PM

My wife refuses to have leftovers for dinner.  So I always make whatever, and the leftovers get packaged into lunch containers.  She doesn't have any problem eating the same thing for lunch 3 days in a row... but suggest leftovers for dinner and she flips.  

It's gotten to the point where I won't do it either, and I can't even give a good reason why.  Like this week coming up, my wife will be out of town.  I was thinking of making a giant vat of something so I could just reheat it all week and thought "nah".  But then again as seems usual when my wife is out of town, I end up finding friends to hang out with and end up eating out all week.

#18 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39891 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:54 PM

I don’t like leftovers for dinner generally but there are exceptions. Chili, soups, that kinda thing

#19 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11991 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 05:20 PM

We take leftovers for lunch every day but try to avoid them for dinner. It happens sometimes with chili or lasagna, for instance.

#20 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9402 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 12 January 2020 - 05:59 PM

Leftovers are one of the downsides when you like to cook and are single. They can go on for days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users