80 replies to this topic

#1 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35344 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:06 AM

Has anyone here gone to get one because your state DL was not compliant?  My wife and I decided to go today while my son was home on break.  We do fly domestically on a pretty regular basis.  We also have passports but we figured that we just get the new ID and not bother carrying our passports with us on a domestic flight.  The DMV opened at 8am today.  We left the house at 7:30 and got there around 7:50.  There was a line outside of probably 100 people or so.  It was 14°.  We got in line, eventually got inside and watched the scene.  Many, many oldsters came in.  They have a separate line so they don't have to wait in the long line.  Most of those oldsters mentioned to the counter person that they never fly.  We heard this over and over.  The fiesty lady at the counter kept saying You don't need to be here!  What are you DOING here?  They heard that they needed a new ID but didn't understand the reason.  So that was one issue.  The other issue is that the DMV peeps were literally making fun of people who were there saying, why can't you just bring your passport why you fly?  Is THAT too much to ask?  I assume some people don't have passports.  I also assume that human nature would tell us that the closer to October 1, 2020 you get, the worse the DMV will be so some people are trying to get it out of the way now.  It was a total of about two hours total inside the DMV but I can check that box now.  

#2 wpr

wpr

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9004 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:12 AM

maybe your state should just stop handing out those crappo handwritten DLs, then.

#3 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 62092 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:12 AM

when I switch my license to alabama i'll do it even though I really dont fly anymore.  maybe in the future i will, who knows

#4 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80487 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:14 AM

Mine is compliant already

#5 wpr

wpr

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9004 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:16 AM

the best thing i did was get my kids passports last year. they are in the system for life, now. it’s a hassle and nerve wracking waiting for original birth certs to be USPS mailed back to you (yikes!) but now they will only ever have to renew.

at the passport office, some birth certificates aren’t considered valid enough. they were sending people away to get new birth certs, THEN come back and apply for the passport.

NJ has been compliant for, like, 20 years.

edit: well, at least that’s what i thought. now our status is “under review”.

jhc.

Edited by wpr, 08 January 2020 - 11:20 AM.

#6 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35344 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:22 AM

Illinois is a shithole when it comes to any state-run nonsense.  The scene today was absolutely out of control.  You can't tell everyone that they need a new ID and then give them shit when they come in to get one.  Meanwhile, the hundreds of people waiting in line are served by TWO people.  Two.  Then you get a number and sit down and then when your number is called you go and do the rest of it.  That initial line could have been expanded to FIVE or TEN people to keep the line moving.  I can only imagine what it will be like in August and September.  No, it's not a mandatory thing but I would rather have the new form of ID as opposed to being open to some sort of BS at the airport.

I agree on the passports.  My kids all have them and can renew online with new photos.  

#7 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15943 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:27 AM

The whole thing is beyond dumb.

I had to have my license renewed a few years ago. GA went to the REAL ID format.

They would not take my, still valid, State Issued ID as proof of ID. They would take my Social Security card, my birth certificate and an official letter that came to my address as proof of identity.

None of those documents had my photo on them.

#8 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108943 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:34 AM

I think my Iowa license expires this year. Does this mean I have to go to an actual government office to get a new one?

#9 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35344 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:38 AM

I think my Iowa license expires this year. Does this mean I have to go to an actual government office to get a new one?

Does Iowa send you a sticker to extend/renew the license?  If so and you don't have a sticker on the back of your license now then... no.  

The whole thing is beyond dumb.

I had to have my license renewed a few years ago. GA went to the REAL ID format.

They would not take my, still valid, State Issued ID as proof of ID. They would take my Social Security card, my birth certificate and an official letter that came to my address as proof of identity.

None of those documents had my photo on them.

Right.  Why wouldn't my state-issued DL (issued by Illinois) and my passport (issued by Murica) be enough?  They both have a photo and they both seem to be sanctioned by reputable entities (I think...).  I had to bring an insurance policy, a water bill, a 1099... WTF.  

#10 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 62092 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:38 AM

Illinois is a shithole 

really all that needed to be said.  :P 

#11 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35344 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:42 AM

really all that needed to be said.  :P

I mean, some parts of our state are quite lovely.  My backyard is one.  :lol:

It's the state, the bureaucracy, the red tape, the corruption, the money-grabs, the tollway, the taxes (ALL the taxes), the deficit, etc. that spells shithole.  Up in your area (Lake County) it's actually quite beautiful.  I love it up in that area.  It doesn't look like a shithole, it's just run like one.  :P

#12 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21080 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:47 AM

Same. Plus I pretty much leave my passport in my work bag currently.

#13 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80487 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:50 AM

Does Iowa send you a sticker to extend/renew the license? If so and you don't have a sticker on the back of your license now then... no.

Right. Why wouldn't my state-issued DL (issued by Illinois) and my passport (issued by Murica) be enough? They both have a photo and they both seem to be sanctioned by reputable entities (I think...). I had to bring an insurance policy, a water bill, a 1099... WTF.

Lol. I once got in into an argument with such people about whether a passport was an "official government identification document" or not. Sheesh!

#14 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

Comptroller of ChopSticks & Ghey Bach Chow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6192 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:55 AM

I'll be going through it in the next few months.

#15 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3232 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:09 PM

I got the passport card when I got my passport. It's good for domestic travel, Canada and Mexico. No need to upgrade the IL dl.

#16 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 62092 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:10 PM

I mean, some parts of our state are quite lovely.  My backyard is one.  :lol:

It's the state, the bureaucracy, the red tape, the corruption, the money-grabs, the tollway, the taxes (ALL the taxes), the deficit, etc. that spells shithole.  Up in your area (Lake County) it's actually quite beautiful.  I love it up in that area.  It doesn't look like a shithole, it's just run like one.  :P

I dont have a problem with the geography of the state at all, as you mention, the govt is another matter.  they are doing everything they can to get people to leave and they are leaving in droves.

#17 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11245 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:14 PM

I did it last summer. I did it early just to avoid a cluster as the cut off neared. 

#18 GeoDick

GeoDick

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34258 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:19 PM

My state in progress, and I understand... I don’t plan on traveling anytime soon, and I’ve got till end of 2021 to deal with it

#19 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35344 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:29 PM

I got the passport card when I got my passport. It's good for domestic travel, Canada and Mexico. No need to upgrade the IL dl.

Yeah, that's a good option.

My state in progress, and I understand... I don’t plan on traveling anytime soon, and I’ve got till end of 2021 to deal with it

End of 2021 to deal with what?  Real ID?  October 1, 2020 unless you're referring to something else.

I have had a passport for about 30 years.  I will probably always have one.  Carrying the passport to travel domestically is not a hardship so that is certainly an option.  But with my luck there would be some other reason to have the Real ID (renting a car or Jeebus knows what else) so I'd rather have more ID on me than not enough.  

#20 TxBrewer

TxBrewer

CrAp Czar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20178 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:40 PM

When I took my daughter to get her license I got a new ID that was up to date, went to a smaller county dmv office, was twenty minutes further drive but probably saved three hours of waiting in the local office.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users