Photo
- - - - -

Anybody get any cool brew toys for Christmas?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

Comptroller of Lips and Smooching

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3605 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 07:42 AM

Electronic thermometer & a ph meter for me...reading up on my ph/water chemistry this morning. Tips appreciated!

Anyone else?

#2 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25568 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 25 December 2019 - 08:08 AM

Looks like I am going to get a Hydra IM and/or a stainless steel HERMs coil. Mostly a gift from zymot to zymot.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 08:41 AM

Nope... Sigh. What pH meter did you get?

#4 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3605 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 08:56 AM

This one :

https://drmeter.com/...s/ph100-phmeter

It's pretty basic. lol

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 09:43 AM

This one :

https://drmeter.com/...s/ph100-phmeter

It's pretty basic. lol

Looks similar to the Omega PHH-7011 that Prempton and I have. Should be all you need.

#6 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3605 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 10:18 AM

Looks similar to the Omega PHH-7011 that Prempton and I have. Should be all you need.

Cool. Do you use it just to test the mash? Or do you test the wort during boil/fermentation/post fermentation?

Looks like I am going to get a Hydra IM and/or a stainless steel HERMs coil. Mostly a gift from zymot to zymot.

At least you know you're getting what you want! ;)

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 11:10 AM

Cool. Do you use it just to test the mash? Or do you test the wort during boil/fermentation/post fermentation?

At least you know you're getting what you want! ;)

Mash. Pre and post boil and packaging. Fun to take a pH reading before a big dry hop and then a day after. The dryhop will increase the pH.

#8 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25568 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 25 December 2019 - 05:00 PM

I want a pH meter, but I do not know which one to get. I guess I get scared off over the test probes can have finicky maintenance requirements. (at least finicky compared to the multimeter and scope probes I ambushed to) I would probably give up some accuracy as a trade off for durability, robust and simple calibration procedures.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 06:25 PM

I want a pH meter, but I do not know which one to get. I guess I get scared off over the test probes can have finicky maintenance requirements. (at least finicky compared to the multimeter and scope probes I ambushed to) I would probably give up some accuracy as a trade off for durability, robust and simple calibration procedures.

Omega PHH-7011

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53885 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 09:00 PM

Omega PHH-7011

This.

Also, Busco, if you don't have a lot of info on your brewing water, try to send a sample to Ward Labs and have a "household water W6" test done so you know what's in it.  They'll email you the results.  Then you can post the results so we can see calcium, chloride, sulfate, magnesium, sodium, bicarbonate, etc.  Which thermo did you get?  A good thermo and a good pH meter and you've got some great tools in your toolbox. 

#11 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 26 December 2019 - 02:28 AM

I saved up during the year, and got some gear during the holiday shopping season (if it was stuff I wanna buy, might as well take advantage of the sales).

Ended up getting 2 anvil 7.5 gallon stainless steel fermenter buckets (which are pretty sweet), a new refractometer(a nice one, mostly for monitoring mash gravities) and some hardware for the electric conversion site glasses,whirlpool arms, bulkheads, relays, contactors, etc.

Edited by LeftyMPfrmDE, 26 December 2019 - 02:28 AM.

#12 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25568 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 28 December 2019 - 01:11 PM

I sprung for a JaDeD Hydra. I inherited a bank account that the wife cannot see the activity. So I am sneaking some brewery upgrades past the financial goalie.

I admit that there is a plate chiller on Duda Diesel that I found very tempting. (about $106.00) The specs make it like an attractive choice, plus it is more techy.

next up: a HERMS coil.

#13 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 28 December 2019 - 02:40 PM

The only brew gift/toy I want is more time to brew.

#14 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 28 December 2019 - 06:52 PM

I sprung for a JaDeD Hydra. I inherited a bank account that the wife cannot see the activity. So I am sneaking some brewery upgrades past the financial goalie.

I admit that there is a plate chiller on Duda Diesel that I found very tempting. (about $106.00) The specs make it like an attractive choice, plus it is more techy.

Santa brought one of those to me last Christmas. Great Chiller.

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 12:12 AM

After trying several plate chillers I am over them.

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 December 2019 - 05:51 AM

what is the fastest chilling method these days?  still CFC?

#17 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1963 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 29 December 2019 - 08:27 AM

I got a Tilt Hydrometer... total toy I know, but hey the MIL wanted to buy it for me, soooo...

#18 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25568 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 29 December 2019 - 08:30 AM

There are many variables in play. Some of which are real world limitations.

I do not think any one is perfect, theoretically or in practice.

The problem becomes: which method allows you to push the most cold fluid past/through your hot wort. Then you have to throw convenience, ease of execution, maintenance, sanitation, cost and other practical issues into the final selection. In promotion or criticism of any one method you can always have a counter a "yeah but. . . ."

They all have their plus and minus. IM are by far the most maintenance trouble free. CFC and plate chillers have potential cleaning issues.

I am going to say, if you discount ease of use and maintenance or sanitation issues, I would go with plate chiller as the optimum chiller. From simplicity standpoint and less prone to misadventure, IM rule.

#19 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 29 December 2019 - 12:37 PM

Electronic thermometer & a ph meter for me...reading up on my ph/water chemistry this morning. Tips appreciated!

Anyone else?

for water chemistry, go the the Bru'nwater website and read the water knowledge page.  It has all the info you need in an understandable way.

what is the fastest chilling method these days?  still CFC?

Jaded Hydra.  Just as fast and much less maintenance hassle

and a huge PITA to keep clean.  I got rid of both plate and CFC chillers in favor of the Hydra

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 12:40 PM

I never understood where a CFC has much maintenance. I need to rinse and IM or I pump out a CFC after use. Both will use the same recycled cooling water so I see no advantage to the IM there. IMs also do not work well with electric elements IME so I think the decision is really system based. Just my nickle...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users