15 replies to this topic

#1 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15289 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:56 AM

Anyone have one? What's involved in installing?

I'm curious. Basically I'd want something I don't have to think about unless I want to pull a recording. 

#2 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 74376 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 10 December 2019 - 07:22 AM

watching.

#3 GaryNConcord

GaryNConcord

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1904 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:27 AM

You can run it off what used to be called the cigarette lighter socket and have a wire dangling down or hardwire it.  I installed one in my GMC Sierra.  Basically after doing some youtube research, I took out some screws from the head liner and pillar beside the windshield to run the hot wire down to a fuse block.  The camera mfg should have connection kits.  Mine is hardwired where it will come on if it detects motion or someone bumps the truck.  Of course they'd have to hit the front for that to do any good.  There is a voltage sensor wired into the line that kills the camera if the battery voltage drops to a point, so the camera doesn't kill the battery.  Although I think it'd have to sit a long time for that to be an issue. 

Installation tip: They make a connector that plugs into an existing fuse slot which has a hot wire coming off of it to power an accessory.  The fuse then plugs into the back of the connector.  

If you install one, I'd definitely do some research on installing in your specific vehicle.  If you have side air bags, you may end up working around them running the wire.

#4 GaryNConcord

GaryNConcord

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1904 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:33 AM

You can run it off what used to be called the cigarette lighter socket and have a wire dangling down or hardwire it.  I installed one in my GMC Sierra.  Basically after doing some youtube research, I took out some screws from the head liner and pillar beside the windshield to run the hot wire down to a fuse block.  The camera mfg should have connection kits.  Mine is hardwired where it will come on if it detects motion or someone bumps the truck.  Of course they'd have to hit the front for that to do any good.  There is a voltage sensor wired into the line that kills the camera if the battery voltage drops to a point, so the camera doesn't kill the battery.  Although I think it'd have to sit a long time for that to be an issue. 

Installation tip: They make a connector that plugs into an existing fuse slot which has a hot wire coming off of it to power an accessory.  The fuse then plugs into the back of the connector.  

If you install one, I'd definitely do some research on installing in your specific vehicle.  If you have side air bags, you may end up working around them running the wire.

Realized I wasn't particularly clear here.  If the truck is sitting turned off, the camera comes on as I stated above.  When I crank the truck, it automatically comes on and starts recording.  It records in segments.  Its supposed to autosave the running clip in a collision.  You can push a button to save a clip also or just save one frame.  

#5 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23796 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:35 AM

Similar to my thread about backup cameras.  If I get a model that replaces the rearview mirror, I plan on it also doubling as a dash-cam.  If your car doesn't have a backup camera, you might want to consider one of those models.

There is also discussion of the fuse expansion in that thread.

#6 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48757 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:36 AM

Waiting for the parody thread ...

#7 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32459 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:51 AM

I've got this and am pleased with it

Mine is on my Silverado so I had to put the rear camera at the top of the rear window so it's not able to be used as a backup camera.

#8 tjbsilv

tjbsilv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 10 December 2019 - 09:06 AM

Got two of these...one for my truck and one for SWMBO's Prius. I didn't do anything special as far as installation, just draped the cord over the rearview mirror and plugged into the 12v accessory port (cigarette lighter). Pretty much plug and play...records on continuous loop. There's a button you can push to save a segment, and as mentioned if you're in a crash, it automatically saves the segment.

https://www.amazon.c...ref=dp_prsubs_2

#9 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56127 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 10 December 2019 - 09:08 AM

I've got this and am pleased with it

Mine is on my Silverado so I had to put the rear camera at the top of the rear window so it's not able to be used as a backup camera.

This mounts over your exists rear view mirror?

#10 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56127 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 10 December 2019 - 09:10 AM

It feels like this will be a standard feature in high end cars with a few years.

#11 Dave

Dave

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32459 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 10 December 2019 - 09:23 AM

This mounts over your exists rear view mirror?

Yes, which means you can't look in the mirror to chase a booger or something.

At first I wasn't happy with it strapping on over the existing mirror but I quickly forgot about it.

#12 tjbsilv

tjbsilv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 10 December 2019 - 09:26 AM

It feels like this will be a standard feature in high end cars with a few years.

It should be. Many auto insurance companies are offering discounts for having them!

#13 GaryNConcord

GaryNConcord

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1904 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 10 December 2019 - 12:28 PM

It should be. Many auto insurance companies are offering discounts for having them!

I can see why.  The reason I bought mine were too many people are ignorant or ignore simple physics and cut in front of me when I'm pulling about 14k lbs of 5th wheel.   I want some evidence when I end up parked on top of an suv because mom cut over in front of me and traffic stopped.

#14 Dave

Dave

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32459 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 10 December 2019 - 01:28 PM

I can see why.  The reason I bought mine were too many people are ignorant or ignore simple physics and cut in front of me when I'm pulling about 14k lbs of 5th wheel.   I want some evidence when I end up parked on top of an suv because mom cut over in front of me and traffic stopped.

Same here..

I see so much stupid stuff on the road I want to be able to pull a Micro SD card out and show who the idiot was.

#15 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15289 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 04:30 PM

Anyone have this installed for them? Wondering how much a car audio joint would charge me to do a front and rear camera system.

What’s the legal landscape with these things? Can you be compelled to turn over a recording if you’re allegedly at fault for something? If they can do it for inspecting a phone for evidence against you, I’d assume the same here?

#16 Dave

Dave

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32459 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 10 December 2019 - 04:40 PM

I installed mine in about 30 minutes or do. Shoved the wires behind the trim etc.
If my camera was witness to something and I didn't want it known I would either not mention the fact that I have a dash cam or I'd just take the SD card out and power it down.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PHBT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users