#1 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33030 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:38 PM

I just spent $50 with Franklin Covey for new planner pages for 2020.

That's up a third from last year. Are there any digital replacements that don't suck?

#2 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79497 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 04:26 AM

You're one of them Type A's, aintcha ;)

#3 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11033 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 06:21 AM

I usually have two systems for notes and task management/planning.

I did bullet journal for a couple years that combined them similar to FC. I really liked having everything in a notebook. It was very nice being able to review things and feel like I have a handle on everything going on. I could do it anywhere. I didn't like having to maintain a cross thread index to find things and it was a little slow pulling up past info. Lots of flipping. 

Before that for years I did the Cornel system for notes and GTD for tasks/planning. Cornel was all paper I and I kept project/meeting folders. I liked it because it's easy to make actionable meeting notes. Don't like the loose paper everywhere. I'd have some meetings/notes with just a few things on it and feel like it was a waste, others would be filled front and back. I still do GTD for regularly occurring stuff (monthly/yearly). I found it to have too much overhead for day-to-day stuff. I carry a lot of the principles though.

Now I'm trying Outlook Tasks and OneNote. I've got notes for reoccurring meetings/projects and just keep a running log. This is really nice to quickly look back at previous meetings. If something pops in my head for a meeting or project, it goes into the respective note for the next meeting. There's some nifty integration with Outlook also to automatically insert meeting info and attendees. My complaint with Tasks is I wish it worked like some GTD tools where I could easily focus on a context and time. I can do filters, but it seems the filters reset. It's helpful to just look at what needs to be done today, tomorrow, and week to week. I think I would like it better if I could have saved filtered views. One issue is I use it cross-platform on Mac/PC and Web. 

I've hate bringing devices to meetings, but I've kind of given up on that. Too many meetings and I can just do tasks right in the meeting rather than setting aside time later. And electronic reduces a lot of overhead for searching and maintenance. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users