#4 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33030 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:41 PM

My wife loves this show. I can't stand it. Wanna guess how many times I've seen it anyway?

#5 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23359 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:06 PM

I don't mind the show itself.  It's just... any given song, other than Memories, is just odd in a stand-alone situation.  I'll admit... I do want to see the movie, but in that context, the music isn't so annoying.

#6 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33030 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:23 PM

No. Plot.

#7 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23359 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 04 December 2019 - 07:35 AM

No. Plot.

Shows like Cats, A Chorus Line and  25th Annual Putnam Spelling Bee (I'm sure there are more) exist to tell the stories of each individual on stage, with the characters brought together for some ultimate purpose that is not necessarily the major point of the show.  Is it deep and meaningful?  Not really, but it is designed for you to care about each individual at the moment they are telling their story.  I know these shows do not appeal to everyone, and that's fine. 

#8 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33030 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 04 December 2019 - 07:47 AM

A Chorus Line is passable. One Singular Sensation alone is good enough to make it passable. Memory is not enough to save Cats.

#9 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

Comptroller of Flying Ducks

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10713 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 04 December 2019 - 07:56 AM

I don't think I've ever seen a musical. 

ETA:  Unless Disney movies count.  But nothing like what's been mentioned.

Edited by Beejus McReejus, 04 December 2019 - 07:57 AM.

#10 BuxomBrewster

BuxomBrewster

Snow White

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7905 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 01:12 PM

I hated Cats.  We rented the movie and turned it off.  As George said, no plot.  I didn't care about any of the characters.  

I love musicals.  We saw Hadestown on Broadway last Saturday.  I loved Wicked and Les Mis.  Meh on Phantom and Joseph.  Our oldest daughter is IN LOVE with Broadway, so we'll be seeing a lot more.  But Cats, no thank you.

#11 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79497 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 01:36 PM

Cats is meh... though I'm not super big on musicals, but I'll be damned if I don't love me some Music Man.

#12 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22544 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 04 December 2019 - 01:47 PM

I hated Cats.  We rented the movie and turned it off.  

When was there a movie? Just looked it up. There was a 1998 movie.

I saw the previews for the new one. Man, those cats look creepy. The costume and makeup, that movie has box office bomb written all over it.

#13 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30446 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 04 December 2019 - 01:51 PM

Cats is meh... though I'm not super big on musicals, but I'll be damned if I don't love me some Music Man.

Shipoopie!

#14 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33030 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:01 PM

I like more musicals than I don't, generally.  Wicked is fantastic and I listen to some of those songs in playlists to this day.  We saw Mama Mia in Vegas and really liked it on stage (but the movie sucked). I still listen to those songs too, of course.  Fiddler and Rent are both great.  I loved Mame as a kid, and will still watch it.  Not a huge fan of Les Mis or Phantom because they're depressing.  I'm looking at a list and Cats is really the only one in the top 25 (that I've seen) that I actively dislike.

#15 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79497 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 03:28 PM

I'm not a fan of Mama Mia but I'll watch the movie anytime. Amanda Seyfried really does it for me...

#16 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23359 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 04 December 2019 - 03:33 PM

I hated Cats.  We rented the movie and turned it off.  As George said, no plot.  I didn't care about any of the characters.  

I love musicals.  We saw Hadestown on Broadway last Saturday.  I loved Wicked and Les Mis.  Meh on Phantom and Joseph.  Our oldest daughter is IN LOVE with Broadway, so we'll be seeing a lot more.  But Cats, no thank you.

I want to see Hadestown.  I've cooled my jets on Wicked since we saw it in 2009.  Am seeing it again this year, so we'll see.  Les Mis is my all time favorite.  Yes... its depressing.  But if done right, your eyes will be misting by the time Bring Him Home is sung.  I like Phantom from the spectacle that it is and I do like a lot of the music.  But I've seen it enough.  Joesph is an all time favorite.  It's another that is more of a "revue" with different styles/genres of music.  It's a kids show.  I can get how it might not be appealing.

I like more musicals than I don't, generally.  Wicked is fantastic and I listen to some of those songs in playlists to this day.  We saw Mama Mia in Vegas and really liked it on stage (but the movie sucked). I still listen to those songs too, of course.  Fiddler and Rent are both great.  I loved Mame as a kid, and will still watch it.  Not a huge fan of Les Mis or Phantom because they're depressing.  I'm looking at a list and Cats is really the only one in the top 25 (that I've seen) that I actively dislike.

I thought Rent was godawful when I saw it.  

Keep your yes out for a tour of Something Rotten.  This show was fantastic.  I can't wait until the rights have been released.  There are a few schools in the area that are excellent at tap dancing and will kill it with this show.  The music is great and the plot is fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users