#21 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15926 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 17 December 2019 - 06:53 AM

I only buy assisted-open knives now. But that looks nice.

This flipper is faster than my assisted knives. I tend to avoid assisted these days because the spring can fail at the worst time.

Size comparison to the RAT 2

80287834_10159451703564657_1809510167511

Edited by HVB, 17 December 2019 - 06:55 AM.

#22 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86977 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 07:12 AM

For me it's mostly because they were illegal here until like 2 years ago so I'm enjoying the forbidden fruit :D

#23 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

Comptroller of ChopSticks & Ghey Bach Chow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6711 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 17 December 2019 - 07:16 AM

I have a Kershaw Cryo 2 that is assisted that I carried for a while. It's a neat little knife but stopped using it. Although not the only reason, but one of them, is that it opened while in my pocket. Didn't cut me or my pants, but lost a little faith after that.

#24 LowcountryBrewer

LowcountryBrewer

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2464 posts
  • LocationMount Pleasant, SC

Posted 27 December 2019 - 05:56 PM

Mine came today.  Seems decent--especially for $40.

#25 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6711 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 27 December 2019 - 09:13 PM

Mine is apparently preparing for shipment from the Netherlands. I should have kayaked there to pick it up.

#26 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6711 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 04 January 2020 - 07:02 PM

Finally got mine. There is clear evidence how this is a higher quality knife that the Kershaw and Ontario knives I've used in the past. I'm new to this steel so I'll see but I'm sure it's a very nice step up from AUS 8 on the RAT2.

There's really nothing to complain about as far as quality of construction, it's quite nice. The RAT2 handle is more comfortable to me with good jimping (this Gent doesn't have any) and it's surprisingly thicker than the RAT. Flipper action on the Gent is great. First time I've felt G10 scales. They're fine but seems I'm missing the reason behind the hype.

It was a steal for 40 bucks.

#27 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15926 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 04 January 2020 - 07:08 PM

Finally got mine. There is clear evidence how this is a higher quality knife that the Kershaw and Ontario knives I've used in the past. I'm new to this steel so I'll see but I'm sure it's a very nice step up from AUS 8 on the RAT2.

There's really nothing to complain about as far as quality of construction, it's quite nice. The RAT2 handle is more comfortable to me with good jimping (this Gent doesn't have any) and it's surprisingly thicker than the RAT. Flipper action on the Gent is great. First time I've felt G10 scales. They're fine but seems I'm missing the reason behind the hype.

It was a steal for 40 bucks.

The hype of G10? The G10 in the Gent is very mild in texture to others. Definitely not my favorite scales. The steal on the other hand is a huge step up ftom AUS 8.

#28 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6711 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 04 January 2020 - 07:16 PM

The hype of G10? The G10 in the Gent is very mild in texture to others. Definitely not my favorite scales. The steal on the other hand is a huge step up ftom AUS 8.

Good to know, like I said, first time I've held G10. Doesn't suck. As far as a relatively smooth-ish texture, it does have somewhat grippy feel so I could see how a higher texture would be really good.

#29 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6711 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 04 January 2020 - 07:29 PM

Also some online criticism of the clip. It looks small but mine is stiff. Maybe even too stiff tbh.

#30 LowcountryBrewer

LowcountryBrewer

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2464 posts
  • LocationMount Pleasant, SC

Posted 04 January 2020 - 07:42 PM

I like the clip being small. There are certain situations where I like my knife to be very discreet.
My only complaint is the lack of a thumb stud. If you don’t flip it open perfectly, there’s no where good to help it into the locking position.

#31 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15926 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 04 January 2020 - 07:48 PM

I like the clip being small. There are certain situations where I like my knife to be very discreet.
My only complaint is the lack of a thumb stud. If you don’t flip it open perfectly, there’s no where good to help it into the locking position.

Little wrist flick is all you need.

#32 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21938 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 08 January 2020 - 05:53 PM

Got mine, seems to easily flick open with low finger pressure. Agreed the G10 is fairly muted on this offering. Nice sharp blade. :)

#33 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6711 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 04 March 2020 - 12:04 PM

OK so I liked the clip at first. Never really understood people saying it was too wimpy. Mine isn't for my use. However, because it's so thin, it always gets in the loops of the thread at the bottom of my t-shirts. It's ripped many of them so now the bottom right on the front my shirts is coming unthreaded.

Pragmatic old mad to the rescue!! Just setting up now, so we'll see how well it holds up.

JB weld + bent and filed dime.

gOH6UYE.jpg

0JYTRJZ.jpg

#34 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15926 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 04 March 2020 - 12:14 PM

Creative ... nothing I would want but creative nonetheless.

While the clip on the Gent is not my favorite I have not noticed it catching on much.

#35 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6711 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 04 March 2020 - 12:16 PM

Creative ... nothing I would want but creative nonetheless.

While the clip on the Gent is not my favorite I have not noticed it catching on much.

For me, it's just below where my t-shirt stops. So when I sit or bend over, my t-shirt drops below and when I rise up, that little clip will slide between a loop. Never had that problem w/ other clips, but they (I think) were wide enough to not fit between the loops.

#36 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24428 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 12:32 PM

OK so I liked the clip at first. Never really understood people saying it was too wimpy. Mine isn't for my use. However, because it's so thin, it always gets in the loops of the thread at the bottom of my t-shirts. It's ripped many of them so now the bottom right on the front my shirts is coming unthreaded.

Pragmatic old mad to the rescue!! Just setting up now, so we'll see how well it holds up.

JB weld + bent and filed dime.

gOH6UYE.jpg

0JYTRJZ.jpg

Defacing money? You're going to prison! :frantic:
Awesome idea, by the way.

#37 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6711 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 04 March 2020 - 12:36 PM

Defacing money? You're going to prison!

Better change the way I light my cigars then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users