#1 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19992 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:28 AM

We've been using Dropbox business for a cloud server for our company.  The biggest thing we use it for is when I develop a project...I'll get the design done, calcs, permit, architectural building drawings and all the other project information and when the project is ready to execute, stick the folder in drop box.  That way you can send an invite to your guys, and then they can pull up any document on their phone in the project in a pinch.  It also operates flawlessly between desktop and internet application and interface as a user.  

The cost is $12.50/mth per person.  I have my brother and myself as admins, so either one of us can develop a project and upload it, view it, modify it, etc.  Then our guys can view it remotely for free after we invite them.  

We just hired another kid to help with project development, so I was looking into cloud alternatives.  Got him set up with a 365 account.  Of course microsoft is always pushing this One Drive as part of the package.  Ok...so I tihnk...this is microsoft OFFICE and the program is called ONE DRIVE when everyone in your small business is connected to one 365 account.  This must actually be what we are looking for.  Nope.  Apparently works great for an individual cloud storage.  Oh, you can actually share files at a time.  But collaborate between users in a suite called Office?  What was I actually thinking that this would make perfect sense.  

After googling for about 2 hrs and trying to understand if I just wasn't getting it, as nothing is really clear about it, I actually called up mircrosoft tech and asked them if I was missing something.  "Oh, this does exactly what you want!  Way better than drop box"  Ok, here is the most basic question.  Show me how to set up a job folder that multiple people can access, modify, and then share if you desire.  "Well, you have to create a web based project folder.  Then you have to upload your documents.  Well, there are limitations with document control when you give more than one person access to the same folder with admin permissions.  Oh, and you can't really interface it with your desktop since it's a 'group folder now', it's all web based.  Sharing?  Oh, you can only do one document at at time."  So, the program works exactly like I want with the desktop interface up until I want to actually use it as a collaborative server.  "well, yes, that's where it's limited.  When you actually want to use it as a server, rather than an individual cloud storage'  Ok...thank you.  Back to using Dropbox business.

What other alternatives are out there for small business server type options?  

#2 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19992 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:31 AM

One reason I want to ditch dropbox is it was free, then they started charging for storage (which ok, I'm fine with), then this, then that, then a larger annual fee, then...per user.  Nickle and diming you to death. 

Edited by AspenLeif, 03 December 2019 - 06:31 AM.

#3 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79497 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:59 AM

My company, which is world-renowned for running "lean" (being cheap) uses box.com for this type of thing.  Seems to work OK.    The previous company (prior to acquisition) used OneDrive and I agree, it was shit.

#4 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61317 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:38 AM

My company, which is world-renowned for running "lean" (being cheap) uses box.com for this type of thing.  Seems to work OK.    The previous company (prior to acquisition) used OneDrive and I agree, it was shit.

we have one drive, it sucks, i dont even sign into it.

#5 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7788 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:46 AM

You might want to start looking at procore if your company is starting to scale.

I was skeptical when we moved to it. I'm now a fan, and it just keeps getting better and better. If you want, I can add you to one of my jobs so you can look at it

#6 BlackBeerd

BlackBeerd

Comptroller of Stain's Junk Posting

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16673 posts
  • LocationA Drunken Stupor

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:48 AM

I have a win7 based server for all files. But I'm looking into getting a synology drive. Or a couple of them and set the main one to back up the other one that is a separate location. Or, I might pay for some google storage. 

#7 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19992 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:52 AM

You might want to start looking at procore if your company is starting to scale.

I was skeptical when we moved to it. I'm now a fan, and it just keeps getting better and better. If you want, I can add you to one of my jobs so you can look at it

Our clients often use procore.  Not what I am looking for.  

#8 TimE

TimE

Peacock Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3419 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:57 AM

Within the Office365 suite the app you want to use as you describe is SharePoint. Create a page, invite users, populate with content and everyone can view or edit in real time based on permissions. I totally agree though that the Office suite makes everything much more difficult than it needs to be

#9 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19992 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:01 AM

Within the Office365 suite the app you want to use as you describe is SharePoint. Create a page, invite users, populate with content and everyone can view or edit in real time based on permissions. I totally agree though that the Office suite makes everything much more difficult than it needs to be

We tried sharepoint about 7 years ago when we owned the engineering company, we tried it...and it was a really shitty program.  

I don't want a web interface, I want a computer interface that I can just create, modify, drag and drop into a 'drive' on my computer.  Last I looked, sharepoint wasn't that.  

#10 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7788 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:06 AM

Our clients often use procore. Not what I am looking for.

The document section does exactly what you're looking to do.

#11 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61317 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:11 AM

Sharepoint can be good until the corporate types start thinking its a solution for everything.  for document sharing it is perfectly fine, when you try to push it beyond its comfort zone it gets shitty quick.  FTR - our company was (early in its deployment) one of those places where people were just saying 'let's put it on sharepoint' for just about everything.  it was crazy.  they've finally backed out of that and migrated stuff to other platforms once they realized it pretty much sucked beyond its intended capability

#12 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19992 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:15 AM

The document section does exactly what you're looking to do.

Of course, at 10x the cost of dropbox.  So would installing a $5000 rack server in my living room.  Just way more than what I need.  It's great for GC's.  Not subcontractors.  

Edited by AspenLeif, 03 December 2019 - 08:17 AM.

#13 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7788 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:20 AM

Of course, at 10x the cost of dropbox. So would installing a $5000 rack server in my living room. Just way more than what I need. It's great for GC's. Not subcontractors.

To each their own. I have half a dozen subs in a couple states using it. Soon, procore is deploying the ability to roll up sub documents into GC and engineering docs. I've been on the beta, it's slick.

My subs using it are two electricals, a specially floor group, a mechanical and a concrete group.

#14 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40710 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:33 AM

Dropbox.

#15 TimE

TimE

Peacock Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3419 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:51 AM

We tried sharepoint about 7 years ago when we owned the engineering company, we tried it...and it was a really shitty program.

I don't want a web interface, I want a computer interface that I can just create, modify, drag and drop into a 'drive' on my computer. Last I looked, sharepoint wasn't that.

SharePoint on 365 has the ability to be both. I use it as a local drive that is mirrored with several other users. Sharing outside your group is web based but they have option to download and use file locally. 365 is a very different beast from previous office suite and takes some getting used to

#16 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19992 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:05 AM

To each their own. I have half a dozen subs in a couple states using it. Soon, procore is deploying the ability to roll up sub documents into GC and engineering docs. I've been on the beta, it's slick.

My subs using it are two electricals, a specially floor group, a mechanical and a concrete group.

With how many employees, payroll, and project load?  We have 48 active projects going.  Not like 4-5 projects worth millions each.  it takes too long to build a project procore, which is fine for large projects...not a zillion smaller ones.  And the cost?  $550 a month.  Resounding NO.  

SharePoint on 365 has the ability to be both. I use it as a local drive that is mirrored with several other users. Sharing outside your group is web based but they have option to download and use file locally. 365 is a very different beast from previous office suite and takes some getting used to

I want nothing that I rely on web based.  Dropbox has a web interface, but it can all be done on a local computer.  

#17 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11033 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:08 AM

We use OneDrive at work. I can share individual files or a folder of files. I can simultaneously work on Office documents with others either in the desktop or web app of Word/Excel/PPT.

#18 AGrandDesign

AGrandDesign

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1896 posts
  • LocationThe Upside down

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:23 AM

I have/had a client who uses box.com and loves it. From what I've seen it works well.

#19 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19992 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:36 AM

We use OneDrive at work. I can share individual files or a folder of files. I can simultaneously work on Office documents with others either in the desktop or web app of Word/Excel/PPT.

I'd like to know exactly how. The tech from microsoft could not make the program do just this.  

#20 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7788 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:50 AM

With how many employees, payroll, and project load?  We have 48 active projects going.  Not like 4-5 projects worth millions each.  it takes too long to build a project procore, which is fine for large projects...not a zillion smaller ones.  And the cost?  $550 a month.  Resounding NO.  

I want nothing that I rely on web based.  Dropbox has a web interface, but it can all be done on a local computer.  

That's the downside of procore.  it's most all on the web. But you can use the documents module like drop box by loading procore drive on your machine.  Drag and drop folders and such. I haven't used dropbox in a while, but I recall it being exactly like procore drive. 

As for use... we're using it across 55 ish employees.  12 PMs / owners / directors running 8 -10 ish projects each.  I have another couple dozen I'm on as review / QC.  We're right around 100 projects across the company.  Everything from 20k engineering studies where we're using it for tractability and document control to multi million dollar projects with many subs and dozens of users that use the entire suite.  Probably 98% of our projects using it are under $1MM.  50% under $500k. 

The submittal, RFI, Photo and Daily report modules are great.  Bidding too, but I don't think you have subs?  Some of our guys are starting to use the financial and CO modules, but I'm not all in on that yet.   Meeting minutes, punch list are good too.  The daily log is great for CYA.  Once people get in the mode of doing in 3-4 times a day it's awesome.  Some other trade in your space and you had to go work in another area for 2 hours... put that in the delay log.  Get a delivery of parts from a supplier, snap a photo of the deliver, and the packing list, into the delivery log.  Send out a dumpster of scrap?  Dumpster log. 

I have an electrical sub using it to document all of their QC on every panel, connection, etc.  Question about Panel 123?  Search the log PDF for that panel number. There are the photos, signoffs by who did the work, who did the qc, etc. 

Concrete contractor uses it to document all of the load tickets, material tests.  They note time, date, weather, etc when they start the pour, when they finish, when they do the finishing steps.  

Again... I was very skeptical.  Now I can't imagine not using it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users