52 replies to this topic

#1 wpr

wpr

Aw, nice avatar Weeper.

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8522 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:09 AM

I’ve stated a few times now that I’ve been on antidepressants regularly for about 13 years. Overall, they have made a huge difference in my life.

I’ve also recently stated that it seems that my regular drug/drugs have “stopped” working. Doc has played with the dosage already and I’m certain there are other types of drugs they will try. I’m not saying I’m unwilling to change, but I know there are typically some side effects to get through before there is relief.

What am I getting at? I’ve noticed for a while that they are pushing a few new antidepressants (Trintellix, Abilify) that they want to ADD to your current regiment.

Am I crazy to think this is just a way to get another copay out of me? Now I need the drug that doesn’t work well PLUS this new drug that just piggybacks off the old?

Im oversimplifying this, I know. And I’m not saying there isn’t science to back up the claim.

It all feels like a scam but maybe that’s because I’m especially attentive to where my money goes. My health and well being come first. **And I can admit that if I was better about self care, I’d drop $20 a month on a basic gym membership which would probably solve half of my issues.

PS: Did you you know that they still do electro-shock treatments? I looked up alternatives to antidepressants and this came up as a real, FDA approved option for folks who are unresponsive to medication... hmmmm. Apparently it’s much more humane now and the only side effect is mild discomfort at the temples, LOL. WHAT COULD GO WRONG???

I guess I’m just overthinking it right now. I’ve been walking everyday because I have the time and that has helped my overall mental health. Fresh air does wonders. I need to find a way to MAKE myself do the healthy things needed to stay sane (food, exercise) and not take a day off, then 2, then weeks. I’ve gone through this cycle many times. I make the decision to change then let myself cheat when emotions take over. I thought I’d have this all under control by my age.

That’s all. Just a mini rant.

#2 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30446 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:41 AM

Staying active and doing a regimented exercise program, no matter how small it it, can be beneficial to your mental and physical health especially in the winter when we have short, gloomy days.

But don't cycle it, come up with something easy enough to stick with keep doing it.

Or, conversely, just drink more...

#3 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22544 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:54 AM

Doctors do not get a commission off your filled prescriptions. If you do not trust your doctor, time to find another doctor.

Electroshock "therapy" is still used, Carrie Fischer used it. That would be a last resort treatment for me.

Modern pharmacology is amazing, but it is not perfect. If you feel you need a change, maybe a second opinion is in order.

#4 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33030 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:00 AM

This time of year, light is a huge component for my daughter.  Do you have full-spectrum lights?

#5 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79497 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:05 AM

Some of this stuff I don't know whether to laugh or be scared.

"X disease is thought to be caused by Y. The exact mechanism behing Drugazapam is unknown but it is thought to do Z"

It's like they're just guessing!

#6 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40710 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:47 AM

"X disease is thought to be caused by Y. The exact mechanism behing Drugazapam is unknown but it is thought to do Z"

It's all bandaids and bourbon.

Neurological issues are trial and error in a population that is nortoriously difficult to study. I propose no mechanism for depression, but there are certain medications that improve symptoms. However, if depression is the result of some structural issue and we accept that the body develops a tolerance to drugs, then the symptoms will return over time. Adding new drugs or changing medication regimens freshens things up. Attacks the disease where it is weak and has not adapted to your therapy.

It doesn't always have to be drugs. Walking or exercise in combination with your existing therapy *might* be enough. George's street lamp idea *might* be enough. Stain's try-the-lesbian-thing *might* be enough. Or, the depression has mutated and needs a new approach.

#7 BlackBeerd

BlackBeerd

Comptroller of Stain's Junk Posting

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16673 posts
  • LocationA Drunken Stupor

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:27 AM

Adding or supplementing a medication is a very powerful tool. While it might seem to make sense to incorporate it all into one drug, people react wildly different to the medications and they only way to monitor and adjust is to have them in individual doses. 

#8 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34782 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:51 AM

Getting the right balance of "happiness" by using drugs scares me a little.  I'm sure I'm just naive about it.  But I have known some people with a chemical imbalance where prescription drugs are used with great success but it's still up to the patient (is that the proper application of that word?) to use it properly.  I have had contact with a person who is UP (like WAY UP), then normal the next time and really DOWN another time.  You're never sure which person you're going to see and to me... that's not right.  I occasionally have a bout of what seems like depression... I feel "down" and I don't know why but it usually lasts less than one day and the next day I'm fine.  Using drugs to balance that seems strange but some people go days and weeks feeling like that and want help and I suppose that's why those products are there.  I just really want to avoid them if I can.  

#9 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61317 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:59 AM

I get anxious when I run out of weed.  You know what cures that??  more weed. - Ron White

#10 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21931 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:59 AM

I’d try magnets (seriously) before ect

https://www.mayoclin...ut/pac-20384625

#11 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7788 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:01 AM

PS: Did you you know that they still do electro-shock treatments? I looked up alternatives to antidepressants and this came up as a real, FDA approved option for folks who are unresponsive to medication... hmmmm. Apparently it’s much more humane now and the only side effect is mild discomfort at the temples, LOL. WHAT COULD GO WRONG???

I know of someone who did this for literally YEARS.  Not sure what the regs are on how often you can do it.  But as I recall, he had it done 2-3 times a year.  I'm honestly not sure how often. 

From what I saw, it helped him.  He was disabled due to a work accident and they never found a combination of meds that worked for the resulting depression.  Over probably a decade or more.  At least 1 suicide attempt, maybe more.  Eventually they were just out of options I guess. 

When they tried the electroshock, he was surprisingly normal.  Like he got out in the world and did stuff to the limit of his physical ability. He wasn't a zombie to interact with, and was personable.  I guess it wears off after a while and he'd have it done again.  It was interesting to see as an observer 

I'd ask him more about it.  He was a family friend.  Alas, he's dead now... brain tumor.  YMMV!

#12 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34782 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:12 AM

A friend of mine had some sort of chemical imbalance in high school.  I realize that's a long time ago but while they were adjusting his meds he was in really bad shape.  Forgetful, depressed, not doing assignments or forgetting them at home, etc.  One day he was driving and another of my friends was in the passenger seat.  The dude driving approached a green light, slowed down and came to a full stop.  My friend in the passenger seat was all, Hey man... green light.  The guy snapped out of it and proceeded through the light.  I find it mildly weird having people on meds like this and then out in the world especially when the doctors are trying to find the right mix.  In the meantime I feel like they could be in trouble out in the big, bad world.

#13 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21931 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:17 AM

A friend of mine had some sort of chemical imbalance in high school. I realize that's a long time ago but while they were adjusting his meds he was in really bad shape. Forgetful, depressed, not doing assignments or forgetting them at home, etc. One day he was driving and another of my friends was in the passenger seat. The dude driving approached a green light, slowed down and came to a full stop. My friend in the passenger seat was all, Hey man... green light. The guy snapped out of it and proceeded through the light. I find it mildly weird having people on meds like this and then out in the world especially when the doctors are trying to find the right mix. In the meantime I feel like they could be in trouble out in the big, bad world.

Older meds are more difficult for people to tolerate well

#14 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5433 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:45 AM

I don't know enough about the medications to comment, but everything I've heard is that it is a lot of trial an error.  This on its own is not a reason to distrust the doctor, but the 'scam' element comes from drug companies marketing their new drugs to doctors.  Since they are new there is probably not a generic alternative, and you (or your insurance) will pay a lot more.  Sometimes it is worth it and the 'new' drug really is something new, but other times it is basically new packaging or a new combination of old drugs.    

As an example, I've been prescribed a time release antibiotic that cost hundreds of dollars for a month's supply.  It is the same drug as the old one that some grocery store pharmacies give away for free to get you in the store, but making it a time release formula and getting doctors to prescribe it allows them to charge a lot more.  Always talk to your doctor about what the medication is, what it does, and what the alternatives are.

Or for the kinda serious quack answer, try half an edible and see how that makes you feel.

#15 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5433 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:48 AM

Stain's try-the-lesbian-thing *might* be enough.

Or that, with a full strength edible :)

#16 tjbsilv

tjbsilv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:24 PM

This is kinda how they explain how ECT works...mainly, they don't have a clue!

Maybe it only fries the "bad" brain cells and leaves the "good" ones!!  <_<

Edited by tjbsilv, 03 December 2019 - 06:24 PM.

#17 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

Comptroller of ChopSticks & Ghey Bach Chow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:21 AM

This is kinda how they explain how ECT works...mainly, they don't have a clue!

Maybe it only fries the "bad" brain cells and leaves the "good" ones!! <_<

Did you click the link from EWW? Pretty much same explanation for magnetism. The result can work, don't know why. Haha

#18 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21931 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 06:33 AM

Yes, and the process can work for treatment resistant depression. Treatment resistant depression is a rough reality for people living with it. The evidence that says it can work is backed by some decent research, so at some point understanding how it works is secondary to the fact that it does work.

#19 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

Comptroller of ChopSticks & Ghey Bach Chow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6094 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 04 December 2019 - 09:33 AM

Yes, and the process can work for treatment resistant depression. Treatment resistant depression is a rough reality for people living with it. The evidence that says it can work is backed by some decent research, so at some point understanding how it works is secondary to the fact that it does work.

Yea I'm not laughing at depression or that it works, but as sophisticated as we think we are we still use treatments we don't understand. Just kinda funny since it's exactly what Stain was saying.

#20 wpr

wpr

Aw, nice avatar Weeper.

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8522 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 11:12 AM

There’s a test they can do (not covered from what I understand) that can test you for which drugs may/ will work best with your make up.

I imagine at some point, that kind of test will become standard so less time is wasted while testing doses

Edited by wpr, 04 December 2019 - 11:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users