43 replies to this topic

#1 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34703 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:33 PM

I've had a Citi Simplicity credit card that I use as a backup (emergencies, etc) since 1994.  My credit score is 830.  The interest rate on the card has been 19.99% for as long as I can remember.  I have called to ask them to lower it and they won't.  Today I was on the "chat" with them and asked them to close it.  "Whoa, whoa, whoa.  We don't like to lose long-term customers, what's the problem?!".  15 minutes of that and the card was closed.  I used NerdWallet to look for something new.  They have it separated by travel, rewards, low-interest, etc.  I went through those and applied for a Capital One Quicksilver.  No annual fee, 0% interest for 18 months, 1.5 to 2% cashback on everything and I qualified for their lowest interest rate for when the rate kicks in... 15.74%.  They also have a 21ish and 24ish%.  I have no plans to rack up debt on it but I like to have a backup in case I need it.  Feels like a win.  

#2 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30369 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:38 PM

Nice

My main CC is 9.99%, been that since I got it in the late 80s/early 90s.

#3 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34703 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:44 PM

Nice

You don't see that anymore.  

#4 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40636 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:55 PM

Feels like a win.  

u turn, bro?

#5 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 107075 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:08 PM

Nice

Same.

Mid 90s, anyway.

#6 bdutton

bdutton

Comptroller of Gifts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6739 posts
  • LocationLooking over your shoulder, judging you.

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:45 PM

I pay 0% because I pay it off every month.

#7 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 107075 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:51 PM

That's not really what we're talking about. I assume most of us pay cards off every month. Except stain, I guess. :D

#8 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28193 posts
  • LocationKC - Kansas side

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:52 PM

I pay 0% because I pay it off every month.

Same, I have no idea what my Citi card rate is.  I could cover my credit limit if necessary - wouldn't want to though.  1% when I buy and 1% when I pay.  For my wants it is fine.

#9 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40636 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:56 PM

I'm more interested in having a high limit. In case I go ... crazy

#10 GaryNConcord

GaryNConcord

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1647 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 02 December 2019 - 05:04 PM

19.99 is insane.  I'm really surprised they didn't at least offer a different card at a realistic rate.

#11 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8405 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 02 December 2019 - 05:13 PM

19.99 is insane. I'm really surprised they didn't at least offer a different card at a realistic rate.

This. I think my highest is 13.99 but I have one from BofA that's 9.99.

#12 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 107075 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 02 December 2019 - 05:19 PM

Isn't the default rate, if you completely flake out and just stop paying your bill, like 24%?

#13 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34703 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 05:22 PM

I agree the rate is insane especially for someone who had the card for 25 years.  My #1 banking weapon is a business Visa debit card that's connected to my account.  I can use it anywhere and it just deducts from the account, no statement, no interest, etc. and that's the way I like it.  I was burned in my 20s by abusing cards and I swore I wouldn't do that again.  That said, if I needed $2k of car repairs and my account was shorter than usual for whatever reason, I need access to another card so that's why I carry something else.  My wife has an American Airlines card and we discussed getting one for me so we could rack up miles but I just chose what looked best and went with that.  If you go onto NerdWallet and look at the "low interest" list of cards, there aren't many lower than this 15% jobbie.  I did see a 12% on one of them but there were a number of "cons" that went with it... possibly an annual fee.  We'll see how it goes.  The NW site points you right to the various sites and makes it easy.  Now I can say, What's in your wallet?  Condoms.  :P

Isn't the default rate, if you completely flake out and just stop paying your bill, like 24%?

A quick search said that the highest allowable interest rate on a card is 29.99%.  

#14 GaryNConcord

GaryNConcord

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1647 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 02 December 2019 - 05:27 PM

I should have specified I was talking about situations like ER where you have a good credit score and have a history of paying your bills.  

Have your cards maxed out and routinely late in making payments?, yeah, you're going to pay dearly.

#15 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32982 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 02 December 2019 - 06:26 PM

Im paying off cc debt as fast as possible but I have a balance on most. Been playing the 0% transfer game for about a year now to keep from paying super high interest.

You would think that even though the debt is unsecured, you couldn't charge interest more than 3x the prime rate or something like that. The cc companies are borrowing at ridiculously low rates and charging customers usurious rates.

I dunno, I'll be unsecured debt free except student loans in less than 2 years I think. Could take 10 years to be completley debt free from student loans and everything assuming I dont put a bun in the oven. Then I'm fecked.

#16 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8244 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 02 December 2019 - 06:34 PM

I never really thought to look at mine since it's paid every month but it's 16.74%. Costco Visa and I've been a member 5+ yrs with a credit score over 800. Not sure I'll go shopping around but it may be worth a phone call. They send emails about every 3 months asking me to up my limit from 5K but I don't need it. 

#17 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7783 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 02 December 2019 - 06:48 PM

I don't pay credit card interest. Never have. Why does the rate matter?

#18 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8244 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 02 December 2019 - 06:56 PM

I don't pay credit card interest. Never have. Why does the rate matter?

It's the principal (no pun intended). If you're a loyal member with a good credit score why should it be 20% interest?

#19 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10438 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:08 PM

When people start carrying balances on credit cards instead of other types of planned credit like HELOC or a planned loan from their bank, they are a much higher risk of defaulting, for a couple of reasons.

My bank gives me a 9.9% rate on unsecured personal loans, their lowest rate. This was set up automatically. I actually used it once when I didn't coordinate a few debits and deposits correctly. No sweat, just cost me a couple bucks and no overdraft fees. I guess this rate might be what people expect from their CC, but my bank knows my inflows and outflows and that I've made all my financial obligations with them.

Interest rates for savings-secured loans are in the 4-5% range for those with good credit.

Currently I just have my mortgage on a 15 year note as my only debt.

I have no idea what my credit card interest rates are, those are used to get cash back and shield my checking account.

#20 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 107075 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:13 PM

I should have specified I was talking about situations like ER where you have a good credit score and have a history of paying your bills.
Have your cards maxed out and routinely late in making payments?, yeah, you're going to pay dearly.

That's what I mean. He's got a good history, and was paying close to the default rate on many cards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users