Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2086 posts
  • LocationBalmer, Merlin, Hon

Posted 02 December 2019 - 02:39 PM

Yea, I'm late on this but anyway...

_54I3768.jpg

Carlos went from starting dead last on the grid to a 3rd place finish in Brazil. McLaren's first podium since 2014.

It's been a rough 5 years as a fan guys let me tell ya.

Between Ron and Fernando... But Fernando won the 24 hours of LeMans, so ahdunno, although he was the only guy who managed to blow up a Honda engine at Indy. And Ron: Well there's good Ron and Bad Ron...

8th and 10th in Abu Dhabi. Both cars were in the points for the last several races.

I'm not going to jinx things and scream McLaren's Back!!

But things are starting to look promising. Let's see what 2020 brings.

Edited by Stout_fan, 02 December 2019 - 02:40 PM.

#2 badogg

badogg

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26947 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:52 PM

And Ron: Well there's good Ron and Bad Ron...

This is VERY true! :D

#3 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32993 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:34 PM

Dont own a McLaren unless you can afford the race team to keep it running.

#4 Iron Chic

Iron Chic

Not Invalid

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11620 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:45 PM

Hopefully less Merc dominance next season

#5 Glacies

Glacies

Comptroller of Schwanz Hats

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5025 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 04:38 AM

I don't know man. That team is locked in. They win even when the car isn't the fastest. If you really watch them and pay attention to qualifying and practice, you'll see how that team is trying to figure out what their weaknesses and how to deal with them. Ferrari, in stark contrast, manages to lose even when they have the best car on the grid.

I think part of that is Seb. I love Seb, but I think he's cracking right now. The main part i think is whether drivers are fighting team orders or whether their stategies just consistently suck ass. You can start telling in qualifying for the tire choice on Q2. You already know their race plan then. It's so weird.

As for McClaren, they are my second favorite team behind Mercedes. I love seeing them come up. I don't know what to think about the engine situation, seems like as soon as they booted Honda, they put in a really competitive engine in the RB's. I heard they're getting a mercedes engine next year, but I don't know if that's true.

Both of their drivers seem really competitive, I think they are pretty evenly matched in terms of how many times they've beat eachother this season. 

It was a bummer Sainz didn't physically get up on the podium in Brazil. Hamilton did in 3rd but then was busted by the Stewards for Tboning Albon on the last lap or second to last lap in Brazil.

Next season should be really interesting. I'm going to start watching Formula E to get my fix, but it's not the same. 

#6 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8413 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:26 AM

Formula E is pretty lame. I build (my company) the battery cables for all the cars. That's the coolest part of that series.

#7 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2086 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:36 AM

...I build (my company) the battery cables for all the cars. That's the coolest part of that series.

It sure isn't the engine sound. That said, I was almost run over by a Tesla last week. I didn't hear him pulling out of a parking lane at Costco, he didn't see me as he was looking left at oncoming traffic figuring it was clear to his right.

#8 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7788 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:48 AM

I figure it's a double Merc championship again next year.  Maybe they let Bottas have one?  Having been the good soldier and all?  Then again they might want to get #7 with Hamilton. 

I think Redbull will be there and win a couple races.  Maybe Ferrari too if the can keep from stepping on their dicks. But I doubt they get that figured out in one off season.  It's taken them a long time to get this dumb... they won't get smarter overnight. 

McLaren... I like them.  But I don't see them winning races until they get back with Merc power in 2021.  

I expect everyone to do a better job for 2021.  Honda has learned a lot the last few years.  Packaged with a Adrian Newey car at Redbull, they very well could be toe to toe with Merc. Who knows what Ferrari comes out with. 

#9 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2086 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:48 AM

Didn't they used to keep the blankets on the tires until the last moment as to not telegraph their strategy?

#10 Glacies

Glacies

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5025 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:03 AM

Didn't they used to keep the blankets on the tires until the last moment as to not telegraph their strategy?

Blankets are active warmers. Your fastest lap in Q2 of qualifying is what you have to start the race on, I believe. That will usually dictate, on some tracks, if they are planning a 1-stop or 2-stop strategy. Or at least give you some incline to their plans.

I really like Bottas on Merc, I think he's a solid driver, but he doesn't have that laser-ass focus that Hamilton has. You ever watch the onboard camera on Hamilton and see how smooth that MF'er is? That's the reason why he's so damn fast. It's like poetry in motion watching him drive. Sure he gets beat, but damn.

Bottas doesn't have the efficiency. I would love to see him win a championship, but Hamilton will never sacrifice that on team orders, nor should he.

#11 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2086 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:08 AM

Right, I understand the Q2 regs. But years back when the color coded tires first came out didn't they used to keep them in blankets specifically to keep the other teams from guessing?

#12 Glacies

Glacies

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5025 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:11 AM

Right, I understand the Q2 regs. But years back when the color coded tires first came out didn't they used to keep them in blankets specifically to keep the other teams from guessing?

I wasn't into it back then so I can't speak intelligently about it. A friend got me into it only a few years ago and I can't seem to branch out into other motorsports. Trying Indy. I am getting close on Indy, but I hate the broadcasts.

#13 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2086 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:23 AM

Glacies, glad to hear you like F1. I've been a Mac and F1 fan since the late 60's. Odd you  and I like the same 2 teams but in reverse order.

#1 McLaren

#2 Whoever is beating Ferrari

Ferrari seems to snuffer from a 'management by intimidation' style. I think I  posted the 'sympathy for the devil' posting by one correspondent. Explains their thought process: very passionate. Succeed or be fired. I worked for a consumer electronics firm who was like that. Put in my 5 years and then got the hell out of dodge.

#14 Glacies

Glacies

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5025 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:04 PM

I can't remember the Ferrari manager last year, but that sounds feels right somehow with my impression of the team.

I know pro sports teams have a lot more information than I do, but so many strategy decisions over the last few seasons I found to be bizarre. It's like they were trying to do something fancy, but it doesn't work because they still aren't controlling the basics.

BTW they seemed far more competitive last year.

edit: As I think about it, I think Leclerc is stressing out Vettel. Raikenen never cared.

#15 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7788 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 03 December 2019 - 01:27 PM

I wasn't into it back then so I can't speak intelligently about it. A friend got me into it only a few years ago and I can't seem to branch out into other motorsports. Trying Indy. I am getting close on Indy, but I hate the broadcasts.

Huh?  The broadcasts on NBC are so good that you'd have broken your TV with the old idiots.  

For me, F1 is about the teams and the cars.  The technology, some times the strategy.  The drivers are mostly robots, and if you put 2019 Hamilton in a 2019 Renault, he'd still finish mid pack.  And if you put Riccardo in a 2019 Merc, he'd win some races.  The drivers make a difference on the margins, but most is the team and car as all of the drivers are good. 

Indy is about the drivers and personalities.  Got to a race, meet some of them.  They are incredibly accessible.  As long as they aren't thrashing on a car, many of the crew types will show you the cars, what they work on, etc. They will be in your area at Richmond next year.  Go, take the kids, have a good time. 

Indycar is abou tpe

#16 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2086 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 02:35 PM

I can't remember the Ferrari manager last year, but that sounds feels right somehow with my impression of the team.

I know pro sports teams have a lot more information than I do, but so many strategy decisions over the last few seasons I found to be bizarre. It's like they were trying to do something fancy, but it doesn't work because they still aren't controlling the basics.

BTW they seemed far more competitive last year.

As I think about it, I think Leclerc is stressing out Vettel. Raikenen never cared.

Fer sure. Kimi: "Leave me alone. I know what I'm doing." One time at Monaco he crashed out early. Went over to a friend's yacht and started downing Vodka I think.

#17 Iron Chic

Iron Chic

Not Invalid

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11620 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 03 December 2019 - 03:09 PM

Haha I remember the "Leave me alone" race.  They were printing up shirts before the race was even over lol

#18 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2086 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 04:15 PM

I had to check into this and I think I got it right. This will give IT folks a huge chuckle.

Remember when the complainers (including me) said what if Micros**t made a car? GM is fairly reliable, but if the folks from Redmond had a hand in it; how would it perform? The joke was to shut the engine off, everyone do a Chinese fire drill, get back in and proceed on their way. Wonder no more folks we have the answer!

From http://formula1-dict...ry.net/ecu.html

"As part of its ongoing efforts to control costs, provide a level playing field for racing teams, and sustain safety, the FIA in the spring of 2006 invited manufacturers of automotive electronics to propose a standardized ECU for inclusion in all Formula One cars for the 2008, 2009, and 2010 championships. The FIA chose the ECU solution developed by McLaren Electronics Systems"

Neat looking box!

ecu_mes_mclaren_electronic_systems_TAG-3

So far McLaren is still producing the universal box for ALL teams as required by the FIA. Now here's the good part: Who did McLaren get to help write the code and provide the OS?

"McLaren Electronics and Microsoft have worked together closely, developing Formula One technologies."

"McLaren Electronic Systems saw immediate value in the Microsoft Application Platform and, in particular, the FILESTREAM feature of Microsoft SQL ServerĀ® 2008 database software. New for SQL Server 2008, FILESTREAM integrates the SQL Server Database Engine with the NT File System (NTFS) by storing binary data as files on the file system while letting the data remain an integral part of the database and maintaining transactional integrity. Transact-SQL statements are used to insert, update, query, and back up the FILESTREAM data within the database. In the meantime the existing client tool can use Win32 file system interfaces for streaming access to the data as if reading and writing to a file."

So I hope you're still with me here, but ever since the standard ECU was introduced the teams have been plagued by engines shutting off, going into odd modes, and transmissions locking up refusing to shift. Now with all the heat and electrtic braking/regen operations they foul up even more.

What is causing all this? It's hard to believe, but I think it might be true. I'm guessing we are seeing a classic Windows crash!

And now you know what a car designed by Micros**t would run like. The sad part is watching drivers going down the road at 200 mph trying to keep it out of the gravel and rebooting their ECUs.

Thanks Ron!

Edited by Stout_fan, 03 December 2019 - 04:16 PM.

#19 badogg

badogg

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26947 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:54 PM

Thanks Ron!

*tips cap*

#20 Glacies

Glacies

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5025 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 11:31 AM

Indy is about the drivers and personalities.  Got to a race, meet some of them.  They are incredibly accessible.  As long as they aren't thrashing on a car, many of the crew types will show you the cars, what they work on, etc. They will be in your area at Richmond next year.  Go, take the kids, have a good time.

I'm actually really interested in doing this, but always hesitant to take my kids to something of this nature without knowing my way around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users