#21 BFB

BFB

Wind Whisperer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9527 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 December 2019 - 02:44 PM

I've been on a cruise. Probably will not do so again. I hate people... and there are thousands of them on a cruise .

Edited by BFB, 02 December 2019 - 02:45 PM.

#22 GaryNConcord

GaryNConcord

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1655 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 02 December 2019 - 05:10 PM

Did it a couple of times.  Trip with a group of friends one of which is a travel agent so she got us good rates.  Wasn't horrible, but have no interest in repeating the experience.  High priced alcohol, ok food, lot of add on charges.  I would do an all inclusive resort in the Caribbean that I flew into vs. a cruise in the future. 

#23 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28248 posts
  • LocationKC - Kansas side

Posted 02 December 2019 - 05:27 PM

Once - snuck in a lot of booze.  After a couple nights of dinner at our assigned table we opted out the rest of the time.  Serious 3-way man crush - I couldn't handle it even drunk.  Never got in the pool since it was usually filled (literally) with some unsighly whales ladies on a girls trip.  Pretty much drank the whole time and went to hole in the wall joints at the stops.  Even with the smuggled liquor we spent a ton.  The pre-cruise emergency orientation suspended time.  Honestly the best time was staying at a little run down art deco hotel in North Miami beach for a few days before and after the cruise hitting the little restaurants and a tiny strip of beach.  On the whole I would rather do an all inclusive

#24 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8180 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 02 December 2019 - 05:36 PM

In Aruba the cruise ship port is right downtown, creating unbelievable traffic.  It's common for motorists to stop when they see people attempting to cross the street so every couple of seconds cars stop, people cross, etc.  When a ship is in town it's a nightmare.  We went there earlier this year but had not been there before that since 2010.  This time we got our rental car and started heading towards the hotel area when we noticed that they intentionally created a route that took you around the city.  We were mildly confused because we have made that drive many times but we eventually realized they did it to alleviate some of the congestion.  

We used to vacation in Aruba at the Tamarijn which is the first resort out of town. If we saw 1 cruise ship it was okay but many times there are 4 in port and it in unbearable. We rarely need anything downtown but it is nice to walk down there and stroll around.  I haven't been in 4 years and I did hear they built that bypass to get from the airport to the resorts without going down town.

I hope to get back there in 2021 as it is an awesome place to relax and soak up some sun.

#25 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34782 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 05:50 PM

We used to vacation in Aruba at the Tamarijn which is the first resort out of town. If we saw 1 cruise ship it was okay but many times there are 4 in port and it in unbearable. We rarely need anything downtown but it is nice to walk down there and stroll around.  I haven't been in 4 years and I did hear they built that bypass to get from the airport to the resorts without going down town.

I hope to get back there in 2021 as it is an awesome place to relax and soak up some sun.

They installed some pay-as-you-go bike stands up and down Eagle and Palm Beach.  In Jan & Feb of this year we rented bikes and went into town to avoid the traffic.  Once we got there we found another rack to park them in and then we just walked around, went and had a few beers and lunch at a spot, etc.  Then hopped back on the bikes and rode back.  But... if it had been a heavy cruise ship day, those bars (like the Paddock) and restaurants may have been overrun by boat people.  We have no plans yet but I'd like to go back again in the next 3 months or so.  Maybe I'll find a deal.  I remember swapping stories with you before about Aruba.  Quite a few things changed from 2010 to 2019 and quite a lot hasn't.  Cheers.

#26 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28248 posts
  • LocationKC - Kansas side

Posted 04 December 2019 - 03:59 PM

I don't think buzz bought the internet package

#27 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3987 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 09:59 PM

Did one cruise years ago, my take away was to go back to Jamaica as often as I could and avoid grand cayman and cruises.
Good way to get a light sampling of a few areas but f that
I’ve got friends who love them and will go on 2-3 a year.
I have idiot friends.....

#28 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79497 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 06:19 AM

Some friends of ours just got back from a cruise. Whole family is down with norovirus now :crazy:

#29 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14978 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 05 December 2019 - 06:24 AM

I think I did about 4 cruises in the early 2000's when I got out of college.  One to Alaska and the rest were the Caribbean.  I enjoyed them back then but there is no way I would want to do that these days.  I would much rather just to to the one destination I really want to and spend time there.  Maybe it was the amount of alcohol in my system but I never got sick on any or them.

#30 miccullen

miccullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63092 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 05 December 2019 - 04:05 PM

Never, ever.

nope

#31 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22544 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 06 December 2019 - 02:55 AM

Sizzle On The Sea
Not for me

Something tells me I am going to end up on a cruise some day. They seem prefabricated and formula driven.

For an eye opener read about what the rank and file crew members go through on a cruise.

#32 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15811 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 06 December 2019 - 04:19 AM

Cruises are for the:

Newley Wed

Over Fed

Nearly Dead

I've thought it would be great to do a "Barefoot" tall ship cruise but the idea of having 6 other couples on a ship kinda weirds me out. I just don't want to get caught up in a wife/husband swapping "Love Boat".

#33 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34782 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 07:19 AM

Should we call go in on a board "get-well" card for Buzz?

#34 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34782 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 07:26 AM

I've thought it would be great to do a "Barefoot" tall ship cruise but the idea of having 6 other couples on a ship kinda weirds me out. I just don't want to get caught up in a wife/husband swapping "Love Boat".

I always liked the idea of that type of small cruise too where it's just 15 people or something and you're docked in some small Caribbean bay for the day, etc. But I agree you could get stuck with the Klopeks. My wife and I did a bike trip to Croatia through BACKROADS. The trip itself was amazing but you spend A LOT of time with your group so you better not be socially-awkward and you better like people. You have breakfast, lunch and dinner with them, ride on boats and busses with them, ride bikes, see sights, etc. with them. We did get a half-day where we could choose not to bike and go off and do our own thing. We took advantage of it and it was great to do our own thing at our own pace and get away from the rest of the group for a bit.

#35 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15811 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:37 AM

I always liked the idea of that type of small cruise too where it's just 15 people or something and you're docked in some small Caribbean bay for the day, etc. But I agree you could get stuck with the Klopeks. My wife and I did a bike trip to Croatia through BACKROADS. The trip itself was amazing but you spend A LOT of time with your group so you better not be socially-awkward and you better like people. You have breakfast, lunch and dinner with them, ride on boats and busses with them, ride bikes, see sights, etc. with them. We did get a half-day where we could choose not to bike and go off and do our own thing. We took advantage of it and it was great to do our own thing at our own pace and get away from the rest of the group for a bit.

We have some pretty close friends and they are all into the wood fired, Scandinavian style hot tub. Clothing optional.

They've invited us a few times and I'm like, "Nope, I'm good."

#36 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34782 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:42 AM

We have some pretty close friends and they are all into the wood fired, Scandinavian style hot tub. Clothing optional.

Ooh yeah, I didn't mean that close.  :o

#37 GaryNConcord

GaryNConcord

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1655 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 06 December 2019 - 12:47 PM

This seems like a good place to leave this:

https://youtu.be/_lknEumr9Rc   :P

#38 Buzz Buzzard

Buzz Buzzard

Comptroller of Fanatical Political Expressionism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11165 posts
  • LocationHere, not there.

Posted 06 December 2019 - 09:45 PM

We are back sailing up the river towards new Orleans
The board was blocked

#39 Buzz Buzzard

Buzz Buzzard

Comptroller of Fanatical Political Expressionism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11165 posts
  • LocationHere, not there.

Posted 06 December 2019 - 09:54 PM

We took a non cruise line trip a coupleish hours by car south to mayapan???
Fracking near, but better yet our guides took us deep in to native land and we had lunch in this little village. 80 peso drinks with a cenote we snorkeled and dove in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users