#1 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20958 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:58 AM

After a long road to get to this point things are likely turning a corner. Seems like the wife will likely be starting a job here soon but the county department that would be hiring her is a bit abnormal in how they have handled things so far. Considering she doesn't have much to loose really I've just let it play out and we'll see. Backstory is she went in for an engineering interview a couple weeks back in front of a panel of 5, 1-2days later the technical guy responsible for that portion of the hiring (HR obvious is the paperwork issuer) calls says he wants to offer the job but wants to have the background check clear first so needs wife to contact HR to provide all that info and wants to know how fast she can start as they want to fill asap. She does that then a week passes without a peep so she checks in, he was out with an unplanned family issue HR said but they were still wanting her for the position (for which she didn't have an actual offer yet). He gets back and calls later last week, asks if its okay with her if he pushes for a higher salary than her minimum in the offer to be issued and then wants to know how fast she can start, she said Dec 2 to give 2 weeks, sounded like he indicated yeah that should work, worst case Dec 9 as that might be their next training slot for new employees. Wife went ahead and put in notice on the 15th, she still hasn't seen the formal offer.

Obviously if she was leaving something profitable I'd have spoken up to not do such a thing until receiving the formal offer but she's leaving part time lower wage work and would only be missing out on 2-3weeks of work for the remainder of the year since we'd take 2 weeks at Christmas so I'm going with the flow on it. Just rather weird how the county is handling their "offer", would be hard to take things serious if already sitting on a solid job but maybe just governmental pace/red tape I guess. I suspect when the dust settles presuming it doesn't fall apart they'll just have her start beginning of Jan.

My opinion is give them a bit of leeway, sounds like the work and environment is actually something she's somewhat comfortable getting back into and at this point I'm more interested in getting momentum going on that front and reestablishing work history. If a year from now its not a good fit at least she has current/relevant experience on her resume to hit the market with. A foot back in the door is the main thing needed here.

We'll have some issues to sort out handling the kids/school and such, but in the long term that was reality of what needed to happen. Initially she'll have a bit longer of a commute but after the school year we'll target something in the middle for a house, which are some areas I had been keeping an eye on a bit already.

#2 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43944 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:01 AM

Sounds like new camping gear for the Pods family!

#3 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20958 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:16 AM

More like 6mo of hard savings account padding towards a higher down payment.

After the dust settles there and future ongoing finances are stabilized can work in some more niceties but also need to hit retirement accounts harder at that time to. Step 1 is get off the rent rodeo and into a stable neighborhood with good k-12 schools in proximity.

#4 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36465 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:34 AM

Good luck mrs pods!

#5 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43899 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:57 AM

She's been sitting on an engineering degree all this time?

#6 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20958 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:20 AM

She's been sitting on an engineering degree all this time?

Yes thought that was fairly known. Thus it was a point of high frustration on my end the last while.

Edited by pods8, 19 November 2019 - 11:21 AM.

#7 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43899 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:29 AM

Yes thought that was fairly known. Thus it was a point of high frustration on my end the last while.

Maybe I knew and forgot.  That's tough.  I don't fault anyone for staying home with their kids but leaving a few hundred grand on the table in your 30s is a big loss.

#8 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7788 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:40 AM

:cheers:  :cheers:

Congrats to you both!

#9 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20958 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:42 AM

Maybe I knew and forgot. That's tough. I don't fault anyone for staying home with their kids but leaving a few hundred grand on the table in your 30s is a big loss.

Yes and...

#10 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43899 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:48 AM

lol, and?

#11 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22078 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:49 AM

I think the stress was always lost earning potential. It wasn't like the option was being a cashier at a grocery store.

#12 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10447 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 19 November 2019 - 12:21 PM

Good news!

#13 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20958 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:01 PM

lol, and?

That and more could be said about it, it wasn’t just lost potential but no real need to vent on the past if this makes it around the corner.

#14 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20958 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:05 PM

I think the stress was always lost earning potential. It wasn't like the option was being a cashier at a grocery store.

There was more stress than lost potential.

#15 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43899 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 19 November 2019 - 02:15 PM

That and more could be said about it, it wasn’t just lost potential but no real need to vent on the past if this makes it around the corner.

I get it. 

#16 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20958 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 20 November 2019 - 03:28 PM

Offer came through. Also noticed a house midway between coming onto the market that could expedite plans forward on that front (dual garages, on a small culdesac, bordering a greenbelt trail that goes directly to the middle school and high school, etc) no interior photos yet but the exterior/location part tick off a lot of the wishlist.

Shit could get hectic (in a good way long run).

#17 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 107189 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:44 PM

Just be cautious. If she decides in three months that this really isn't for her, you don't want to end up being even more strapped from having pulled the trigger too early.

#18 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20958 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:08 PM

The threat of rent coming up to market value vs what we pay would be the same as said mortgage so that stuff has had me stressed regardless. But yes it’s not something to take lightly.

#19 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20958 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:00 AM

She started yesterday, so far so good. Next week is gonna be a bit hectic as our after school helper/nanny person already had a commitment that week when we brought her on so I have to get them after school and finish my day from home after.

#20 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 107189 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:09 AM

You could just quit and be a male stay at home mom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users