#1 consumptionjunction

consumptionjunction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationMiami

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:40 AM

Figured I'd start a new thread with this...I'm probably going to secondary a beer I haven't thought up yet with Brett B. If I do this in a bucket, do I have to worry about too much oxygen getting in through the plastic if I let it sit 2-3 months? I really don't like acetic acid taste much, and would prefer not having much of it. Should I wrap the bucket with saran-wrap?Also, I'd have to secondary at around 75-82 degrees F. What would this do for the flavor profile?

#2 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:51 AM

Is saran wrap non-permeable? I think I'd just go with a carboy.

#3 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:54 AM

Why bother with wrapping the bucket in saran-wrap? I would just use a carboy, and if you can, purge it with CO2.I'm not sure what the higher temperatures will do for your beer. When I use Brett I like to keep the beer temperature somewhat cooler...around 65 F.

#4 consumptionjunction

consumptionjunction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationMiami

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:58 AM

Is saran wrap non-permeable? I think I'd just go with a carboy.

I heard someone say somewhere that Jamil used saran-wrap for this purpose. From wikipedia:

The main advantage of Saran film is a very low permeability to water vapor, flavor and aroma molecules, and oxygen compared to other plastics. The barrier to oxygen prevents food spoilage, and the barrier to flavor and aroma molecules helps food retain its flavor and aroma.

I only have one carboy right now and don't want to pre-occupy it for months. I was planning on bottling this stuff (and consequently destroying the bottling bucket I am beginning to not trust anyways), so I'd prefer using it and not my only carboy.

I'm not sure what the higher temperatures will do for your beer. When I use Brett I like to keep the beer temperature somewhat cooler...around 65 F.

That's what I have heard, which is why I ask.

#5 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8282 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:01 PM

Buckets are fine for the amount of time you'll be fermenting. Brett doesn't throw high levels of acetic acid compared to bacteria so you don't have that to worry about.

#6 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19286 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:50 PM

brett doesn't like a whole lot of O2, hence the pellicle. For long term storage, I'd agree on a carboy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users