42 replies to this topic

#1 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34436 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 03:49 PM

In my never-ending search for a new unlocked phone, I found THIS. I'm an android user and my searches for LG or Samsung have such confusing descriptions about whether they work in the US, internationally, on GSM, CDMA, etc. and this Google Pixel says it works on ALL U.S. carriers! Finally some common sense. I feel like I have heard people tell me that the Pixel had some battery life issues. Anyone care to share their experience?

#2 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21948 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 08 November 2019 - 04:05 PM

I have the 3a. Camera is great, has headphone jack, battery life is fine (the 4 has battery issues).

#3 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34436 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 04:09 PM

I have the 3a. Camera is great, has headphone jack, battery life is fine (the 4 has battery issues).

Mmm, good stuff.

#4 Julius H Gardetto

Julius H Gardetto

Comptroller of Delusional Berkley Hippie Types

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21929 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:44 PM

I was torn between that and the samsung a50. Went Samsung because the 3a didn't have expandable memory.

#5 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14644 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:46 PM

Im still rocking my 2xl which I really like. I see no reason to get a new phone for the sake of getting a new phone. Everyone I know that has the 3a seems to really like it. 

#6 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34436 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:10 PM

Im still rocking my 2xl which I really like. I see no reason to get a new phone for the sake of getting a new phone. Everyone I know that has the 3a seems to really like it.

I agree with the new phone thing. My current LG is 3+ years old but the screen has a few cracks and the battery life is losing its mojo. My BIL has the Pixel 4 and says the battery life is appallingly bad and that the phone has bad reviews.

#7 BeersBeers24/7

BeersBeers24/7

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5573 posts
  • LocationAshevegas!

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:28 PM

2 of my buddies recently got it, they love it

#8 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61000 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:34 PM

my brother thinkin about getting those for his girls.

#9 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22447 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:36 PM

I went with a Pixel 3a. It is fine, no complaints. Other than the USB cable and my Mazda do not work together. I think there is an app to fix the issue.

I was very close to going with the Motorola G7 Play. Google gave me $100 credit for my old Apple 6S, so I went Pixel 3a.

Alternate would be Samsung A series, nit sure which one.

If you are a T-Moble customer, get a phone with T-Mobile's Band 71, that is their newest expanded coverage channel.

#10 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34436 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:37 PM

I think I'm going to order it and take it to Verizon and ask them to activate it. It's $386 on Amazon compared to probably $700-$800 at a Verizon store.

my brother thinkin about getting those for his girls.

Oh wait, it's a chick phone? :lol: :P

#11 Julius H Gardetto

Julius H Gardetto

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21929 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:39 PM

I really don't see the point of getting an android phone with no expandable memory.

#12 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34436 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:40 PM

I really don't see the point of getting an android phone with no expandable memory.

Expandable memory (and also being able to replace the battery yourself) was what drew me to Android in the first place. But Android phones are changing. Many don't let you swap out the battery and some are no longer allowing expandable memory either. What would you do instead?

#13 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61000 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:46 PM

Expandable memory (and also being able to replace the battery yourself) was what drew me to Android in the first place. But Android phones are changing. Many don't let you swap out the battery and some are no longer allowing expandable memory either. What would you do instead?

the expandable mem and replaceable batteries increase the form factor a little so I get why it wouldn't necessarily be that way for some phones.

#14 Julius H Gardetto

Julius H Gardetto

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21929 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:06 PM

I just got the 3a. I dig it. Camera isn't quite as good, but three a 128gb sd card in. Works for me.

#15 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10375 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:48 PM

S10e is worth a look as well. I got mine for $550 with trade in. I really like it, at least after getting most of the Samsung crapware off of it. Great camera and battery life.

It has an SD card slot that I'll never use. 128 gb is plenty.

I get 12-14 hours of screen on time, so even if the battery degrades 50%, I still wouldn't need to replace it. Hopefully will get 3-4 years out of it.

Edited by porter, 08 November 2019 - 08:50 PM.

#16 Julius H Gardetto

Julius H Gardetto

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21929 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:15 AM

I just missed the boat on a great deal for an s9 too. Probably should pi old have waited for black Friday, but wanted a personal phone quick.

Overall, pretty happy with the a50.

#17 GaryNConcord

GaryNConcord

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:01 AM

I've got a Pixel 2 and the battery is good for a typical day without being plugged in.  Although, I use android auto in the truck whenever I drive which requires USB instead of just Bluetooth, so it gets periodically charged whenever I drive  ,Because of  that, battery is never an issue anyway. 

#18 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14644 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:24 AM

Expandable memory doesn't seem to be a big deal anymore. Google gives you 15gb cloud for free plus whatever is on your phone which is like 64gb and 128gb. 

#19 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10375 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:41 AM

Expandable memory doesn't seem to be a big deal anymore. Google gives you 15gb cloud for free plus whatever is on your phone which is like 64gb and 128gb.

Yeah, even with kid pictures and videos (we're admittedly not fanatical) 128 gb is a lot. At some point you can move them off if needed. It wouldn't influence my device choice.

#20 Julius H Gardetto

Julius H Gardetto

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21929 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:41 AM

Pixel 3 is 64gb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users