#61 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14906 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:21 PM

which nighthawk do you have? other than not getting out into the yard you are pretty happy with it?

I have an ac1750. I know not the best but no issues at all for me inside and out.

#62 Benadryl Cumbersnatch

Benadryl Cumbersnatch

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33322 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:31 PM

basement + 2 stories. keep in mind I could use my current router as an AP as mentioned earlier and I'd probably be in pretty good shape. the current one tends to need to be reset a lot. sometimes my phones won't connect to the wifi otherwise.

cable modem, right? Shared network, you’ve exceeded your bandwith, rebooting router/modem just reseats your IP address and kicks others off line

Edited by Benadryl Cumbersnatch, 08 November 2019 - 05:31 PM.

#63 Zsasz

Zsasz

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40211 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:48 PM

cable modem, right? Shared network, you’ve exceeded your bandwith, rebooting router/modem just reseats your IP address and kicks others off line

I'm only resetting the router.  the modem is generally not getting reset.

#64 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78996 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:49 PM

One of my 2 routers has been freezing up a lot lately... may be time to look at a new solution

#65 Benadryl Cumbersnatch

Benadryl Cumbersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33322 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:52 PM

I'm only resetting the router. the modem is generally not getting reset.

But everytime you’re rebooting the modem it’s like “musical chairs” with the internet

#66 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34436 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:08 PM

I have an ac1750. I know not the best but no issues at all for me inside and out.

Mine is a Netgear 1900 Nighthawk, I believe. Easily 4-5 years old now. It's been a great router for me but I'm digging this multi-point idea.

#67 Zsasz

Zsasz

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40211 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:16 PM

Not ttooo pricy. I like. Direct response had been avoided. I will keep trying lol!

But everytime you’re rebooting the modem it’s like “musical chairs” with the internet

But my wired equipment will still have internet. Seems like what you are saying everything would be down.

Edited by Zsasz, 08 November 2019 - 06:15 PM.

#68 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8337 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:47 AM

So how far apart can these Google mesh things work? If I had one in my house, one 50' away in my garage, one another 100'+ away from my garage in my pool house and another 100'+ away from my garage in a different direction to my new shop would it all work?

#69 LowcountryBrewer

LowcountryBrewer

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2381 posts
  • LocationMount Pleasant, SC

Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:56 AM

So how far apart can these Google mesh things work? If I had one in my house, one 50' away in my garage, one another 100'+ away from my garage in my pool house and another 100'+ away from my garage in a different direction to my new shop would it all work?

Very doubtful.  With those distances, you'd probably need directional antennas on your roof.  Of course, better yet, run some cable and hook up some access points.

#70 MoreAmmoPlz

MoreAmmoPlz

Comptroller of Ivory Powers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1991 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:59 AM

One of my 2 routers has been freezing up a lot lately... may be time to look at a new solution

You might check out the Ubiquiti Edgerouter-X. I'm up to 3 off them now and haven't had a single issue.

Very doubtful.  With those distances, you'd probably need directional antennas on your roof.  Of course, better yet, run some cable and hook up some access points.

This. Even with directional antennas you could end up in a situation where the APs can reach the clients, but the clients cannot reach the APs. Get some PoE APs and run a single cat-5e (cat-6 if you wear a monocle) to them. 

#71 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78996 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:02 AM

Cat6 is pretty cheap nowadays ... cat7 is for the monocled

#72 MoreAmmoPlz

MoreAmmoPlz

Comptroller of Ivory Powers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1991 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:05 AM

Damn, 10 gigabit internet must be more prevalent than I thought. ;)

Edited by MoreAmmoPlz, 09 November 2019 - 10:05 AM.

#73 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5367 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 10 November 2019 - 11:36 AM

Who is your service provider?  Just curious.  It sounds like it's a non-issue as long as you use the router for the group as opposed to your provider's router.  I just want to make sure I'm getting the device that will work for me.

So on the topic of moving an access point outside... anyone do that or just move one anywhere?  Basement, upstairs, etc.?  That's really what I'm trying to do here... serve parts of the backyard where a good amount of time is spent.  There is a table on the other side of the pool that is always in sun and it's a popular place for people to hang.  It's probably 100' from the current router.  I have streamed Sirius/XM out there successfully but it has also dropped out requiring me to sit closer to the house.  I'd like to bring one of the units outside to serve the backyard better.

Comcast service through a Netgear cable modem/router that used to be the home wifi at the old house.  I used various extenders that always had problems.  When we moved I got the Google mesh system.  Current house is ~4600 square feet on three levels.  Router is in the basement, with a cable running to the main wifi point in the middle-ish of the main level.  Second point is in the kitchen (also main level), and the third is upstairs, roughly centered side to side but on the back wall of the house.  It is next to a window, and I get coverage well past the edge of the yard.  Going out in to the woods, I see full bars on my phone for a long way.   If you can set it up with line of sight, or just set the unit in a window with line of sight to the pool area, it should work.

#74 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5367 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 10 November 2019 - 11:52 AM

If you have line of sight it can work, but that may be pushing it too far.  Gonna need an MS Paint diagram to answer :) 

Can you put all the units in a window, facing the others?  This is about 100' behind the house.  The phone shows full bars, and the Google wifi app says it has a strong connection to both of the secondary wifi hubs.

49044469586_1792ba60ff_z.jpg

About 150'.   Phone goes back and forth from 2 to 3 (full) bars.  Google app still shows good connection to both points.

49043966453_268e568855_z.jpg

On the bike trail, maybe 250' from the house.  Spotty connection, and the app says it fails to connect to one spot but still connects to the other.

49044521196_4ba1001015_z.jpg

#75 Benadryl Cumbersnatch

Benadryl Cumbersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33322 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 10 November 2019 - 12:25 PM

I hear Banjos

#76 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5367 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 10 November 2019 - 12:58 PM

Well, the Coosawattee River (inspiration for the river in the book) is about an hour north of here.

#77 Benadryl Cumbersnatch

Benadryl Cumbersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33322 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 10 November 2019 - 01:34 PM

Well there you go,... “squeal like a prok for me....”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users