76 replies to this topic

#1 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34436 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:10 AM

Who is using a multi-point wifi solution in their house and who wants to suggest something that is working nicely?  I looked specifically at the Netgear Orbi (one router, multiple satellites) and even though it has 4 star reviews on Amazon, there are also A LOT (12% of 1-star reviews) saying that the product is glitchy.  TP-Link Deco has better reviews and is actually cheaper.  Eero is more expensive and has better reviews and then there is the "Google Wifi System" which also has good reviews.  I am also using Comcast and I hear that they offer satellites as well.  Any thoughts?

#2 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8337 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:21 AM

What is "mesh" wifi? I keep seeing the name but not sure what it is.

#3 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78996 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:22 AM

I haven't looked into it but it wouldn't shock me if the comcast ones come with a monthly fee.

I'm interested in this topic as well.

#4 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61000 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:24 AM

my brother has the google setup, it's nice.  I would buy it if I needed at the new place

#5 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34436 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:37 AM

What is "mesh" wifi? I keep seeing the name but not sure what it is.

I believe that mesh wifi just means that your coverage area is served by multiple devices... typically a router that plugs directly into your hard connection and then multiple access points that connect to the router (wirelessly) and allow for better, wider-reaching coverage.  Things in our home seem good for now but we spend a lot of time outside when it's warm and part of the backyard is "underserved".  Combine that with the fact that they keep improving the devices and changing the various "bands" (b, g, n, x, etc) and it may be time.  Also, anyone with experience... could you take a satellite and bring it outside in the summer, sync it with the router and serve the backyard with strong wifi?  That's the goal here.   

Also, it seems like some of the issues that people have are that they buy the satellites hoping to connect them to their services' router (Comcast, Time-Warner, etc) and that can result in connection issues because not all of the devices are speaking the same language or... at the very least... there may be limitations.  

#6 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7693 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:51 AM

I plan to install the google solution at the new place when it's done.  A buddy installed it and loves it. 

#7 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34436 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:51 AM

I plan to install the google solution at the new place when it's done.  A buddy installed it and loves it. 

Okay, nice... that's TWO for Teh Google Machine.  

#8 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7693 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:58 AM

Okay, nice... that's TWO for Teh Google Machine.  

To be fair, I have another buddy with the obi solution.  He reports it works well but it sounds like the setup was just a tiny tiny bit finicky

#9 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61000 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:00 AM

To be fair, I have another buddy with the obi solution.  He reports it works well but it sounds like the setup was just a tiny tiny bit finicky

that was what sold my brother, ease of setup.  even though he had me to come and do it if needed.  he's not a network guy and he was able to do it very easily, he called after like 15 mins and said he was done, 3 nodes, he's had it set up for over a year and it has been flawless

#10 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34436 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:09 AM

that was what sold my brother, ease of setup.  even though he had me to come and do it if needed.  he's not a network guy and he was able to do it very easily, he called after like 15 mins and said he was done, 3 nodes, he's had it set up for over a year and it has been flawless

NOICE!

#11 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5367 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:10 AM

+1 for Google.  Simple installation, did it 2 years ago and have not had any problems.

#12 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34436 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:16 AM

+1 for Google.  Simple installation, did it 2 years ago and have not had any problems.

Who is your service provider?  Just curious.  It sounds like it's a non-issue as long as you use the router for the group as opposed to your provider's router.  I just want to make sure I'm getting the device that will work for me.

So on the topic of moving an access point outside... anyone do that or just move one anywhere?  Basement, upstairs, etc.?  That's really what I'm trying to do here... serve parts of the backyard where a good amount of time is spent.  There is a table on the other side of the pool that is always in sun and it's a popular place for people to hang.  It's probably 100' from the current router.  I have streamed Sirius/XM out there successfully but it has also dropped out requiring me to sit closer to the house.  I'd like to bring one of the units outside to serve the backyard better.

#13 Benadryl Cumbersnatch

Benadryl Cumbersnatch

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33322 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:17 AM

We recommend either Google Mesh, or the Orbi, both work great, are easy to use, and they’ll work when/if you change service providers

#14 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61000 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:24 AM

once we get the "man cave" built down in AL I'm going to want to extend wifi out to that, but I will probably be able to extend a hard line out there if needed, gotta see how far of a run it'll be first.

#15 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8174 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:38 AM

Setup another router as an AP and run a Cat5 cable between them.

https://brews-bros.c...s/?fromsearch=1

#16 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61000 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:49 AM

I'll probably have to run hardline out to the man cave, fortunately I have a big ass spool of plenum grade cat5e, plug it directly into the router and maybe create a second network out there.  might be the easiest solution depending on the distance I have to cover.  I have about 400' left on my spool, should be plenty for what i need so I'll just bury it in the yard out there.  the cave will have its own power so the cat5 run will be the only thing tying it to the house.

#17 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34436 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 09:00 AM

I'll probably have to run hardline out to the man cave, fortunately I have a big ass spool of plenum grade cat5e, plug it directly into the router and maybe create a second network out there.  might be the easiest solution depending on the distance I have to cover.  I have about 400' left on my spool, should be plenty for what i need so I'll just bury it in the yard out there.  the cave will have its own power so the cat5 run will be the only thing tying it to the house.

Not to derail but what is this "man cave" and "out there" that you speak of?  What are you planning?  

#18 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61000 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 08 November 2019 - 09:02 AM

Not to derail but what is this "man cave" and "out there" that you speak of?  What are you planning?  

basically a detached 1.5-2 car garage set up with a pool table, bar, TV, shitter, etc.  will also serve as my home office.

Edited by TonyBrown, 08 November 2019 - 09:05 AM.

#19 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34436 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 09:03 AM

basically a detached 1.5-2 car garage set up with a pool table, bar, TV, powder room, etc.  will also serve as my home office.

Oh good, as long as it has a powder room, I'm down.  :P

#20 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61000 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 08 November 2019 - 09:06 AM

Oh good, as long as it has a powder room, I'm down.  :P

yes, i just changed that, sorry...  i'll have to take a point hit on my man card for that offense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users