#1 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14644 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:49 AM

So for people like me that are in a job that is very difficult to get more than 25 years this bill would be very beneficial if it were to pass. Right now Im looking at having to pay for my own health insurance for a good 10 years after I retire at age 55. My pension will pay out around 65% of what my final average salary ends up being. That's a healthy pay cut with added cost of healthcare. Medicare would allow me at a earlier age to have some options financially. 

I've done some things to help pay for healthcare but not as much as I would of liked. Life stuff, kid stuff etc. I can also figure out another job after retirement to help offset healthcare costs as well. Problem is Im trained in one thing and that's a Fire based EMS system. Nothing like putting all your ducks in one pond. I know there are other people in different lines of work in the same boat as First Responders. So what does the PH say? Yea or Nay for this bill? 

https://www.fireresc...vDNYvzxoocjy1I/

#2 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32807 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:53 AM

Qualified yes.  I'd probably say 55 is a better starting point than 50.  I also think it should only apply to those who don't have coverage already through pensions - no double dipping.

#3 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14644 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:57 AM

Qualified yes.  I'd probably say 55 is a better starting point than 50.  I also think it should only apply to those who don't have coverage already through pensions - no double dipping.

True. And I agree. I don't think there are many pensions out there that have healthcare attached to it. 

#4 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8158 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 07 November 2019 - 11:27 AM

My company medical retirement is a 40K account to cover all of your benefits cost for life. My retirement pay is also an account with about 1-1/2 years pay in it.  So I'm basically looking at needing to get near 65 for benefits (wife is 2 years younger than me) and for salary it will mostly be my 401 K funding my old age years.

#5 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20893 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 07 November 2019 - 01:09 PM

Why is it difficult to get more than 25yrs? Do they swap you out even if you wanted to work?

#6 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14644 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 07 November 2019 - 02:18 PM

Why is it difficult to get more than 25yrs? Do they swap you out even if you wanted to work?

No. There isn't a slow house so no matter what its physically exhausting let along running on hardly any or no sleep. Now that I've been off for 3 weeks cuz of my finger I can really tell how bad it is on my body. 

#7 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21948 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 07 November 2019 - 02:19 PM

I don't know what the right age is but there are a lot of physical jobs where you body is broken by your mid 50s.

My dad worked in a aluminum factory. It was hard physical labor. When he was 40 he looked at his older co-workers and new he didn't want to be in their shape in 20 years. He posted for a new job in the lab testing samples. Air conditioned and sitting behind a computer. At the time his Co workers thought he was crazy giving up his department seniorty. Layoffs were coming, he would not be laid off because of plant seniority but because he had the shortest department seniorty he would be moved to the the most physical job in the plant (swinging a sledge hammer for 8 hours a day). The layoffs lasted 2 years, so it took him 2 years before he actually go to work in the lab. But in the long run it was the right decision. He ended up spending 20+ years in the lab

#8 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19850 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 07 November 2019 - 02:26 PM

Pension and fully paid healthcare, until you can get retirement age heathcare.

...there is a reason that private industry can't financially support programs like these.  

#9 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21800 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:08 AM

Seems like this should come from their union or Medicare for all. I’m not downplaying the work of first responders, it’s just that many fields have high burnout rates and I can’t justify an exemption for just a few of them.

#10 Car ChuckRam

Car ChuckRam

Rami!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8177 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:47 AM

True. And I agree. I don't think there are many pensions out there that have healthcare attached to it.

Good for your Union for negotiating just a 35% reduction in salary as a pension. If I retire at 55, I face a 77% reduction, and a 72% reduction at age 62.

My Union is private sector by the way. I would get an additional $9k a year in premium, copay, and prescription reimbursement. So I guess it would be just a 68% or, 62% reduction.

I disagree with bill on the face of it. First responder is a job, just like any other job. You chose it, you weren’t conscripted. Your Union already negotiated with the taxpayers, a sum that both parties thought was fair.

Why do you need legislation. Send your Union Officials back to the bargaining table to get a better deal.

ETA: The You is Royal.

#11 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14644 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 08 November 2019 - 09:07 AM

Good for your Union for negotiating just a 35% reduction in salary as a pension. If I retire at 55, I face a 77% reduction, and a 72% reduction at age 62.

My Union is private sector by the way. I would get an additional $9k a year in premium, copay, and prescription reimbursement. So I guess it would be just a 68% or, 62% reduction.

I disagree with bill on the face of it. First responder is a job, just like any other job. You chose it, you weren’t conscripted. Your Union already negotiated with the taxpayers, a sum that both parties thought was fair.

Why do you need legislation. Send your Union Officials back to the bargaining table to get a better deal.

ETA: The You is Royal.

There is a lot here that isn't true in my situation.

1. I live in a right to work state. Therefore my Local has no say in much of anything. We are fortunate the city I work for will listen to our Local's issues during labor/management discussions. But they don't have too. We do fall under some International regulations such as LODD benefits or possibly this medicare bill. 

2. Neither my Local or the International negotiated our pension program. The pension program is funded by the State and the employee following rules and guidelines the State has put in place. The State constantly borrows from this plan without repayment jeopardizing all state worker pensions. 

3. As an International, we need constant legislation. Which seems to me for obvious reasons. 

I agree this is a chosen profession. Its also a profession that protects citizens on the home front. People in this profession die and/or get all different types of cancers and sickness performing the job while protecting their communities. In essence, its very similar to people that choose the military to protect this wonderful nation of ours. You can agree or disagree. 

Edited by BlKtRe, 08 November 2019 - 09:08 AM.

#12 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7693 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:59 PM

If this is so important to you, get your employer to provide it. We already have way more than enough entitlement programs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users