Photo

Trying my hand at intermittent fasting, with a couple of other diet/lifestyle changes

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9757 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 05 November 2019 - 06:34 AM

The impetus behind this was to get my weight down as soon (and safely) as possible, as I think my weight has been a major reason why my snoring at night was preventing my wife from getting any decent sleep and driving her crazy.  This has been a recurring issue in our marriage for most of the last 14 years.

Not that I blame her; between her being sleep-deprived, work stress, contractors currently working at our house, and who knows what else, she's been rather unhappy/on edge for a while now.  Gotten to the point where she's been sleeping in our spare bedroom for the last several weeks.  I don't like the arrangement, but I do understand the why behind it, so a new focus is getting my snoring under control ASAP so she can sleep in her own bed again.

I've been sticking with an 18-hr fast between 6pm (our normal dinnertime) and 12 noon the next day.  Ice water first thing in the morning, followed by coffee w/ a splash of creamer.  Lunch at noon, no afternoon or after-dinner snacking, and more water/Powerade Zero.  I have one beer a night, before dinner, (no more lunchtime beers, even with wings) and then water/Powerade until bedtime. 

Been cutting out a lot (but not all) carbs and sticking with protein, some fats, and non-starchy veggies.  Also eating less calories overall.

I've also been checking labels more closely to see roughly how many carbs they contain; I'm profoundly thankful that Frank's wing sauce has 0 carbs, so Buffalo wings/drumsticks/BSCB are still on the menu.

Today is Day 4 of this endeavor, and so far, I can tell my sleep (duration and quality both) are improving, and I think the snoring is starting to decrease, too.  No more hunger pains in the morning; easier to wait until noon to eat.

Got a long ways to go; took many years to get to this point, so I expect it'll take some time to slim down to where I want to be.  But I expect this to be a fairly permanent change going foward.

#2 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33030 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 05 November 2019 - 06:46 AM

Good for you.

But also, go get a CPAP machine, Dude!  They're fecking awesome!

#3 Glacies

Glacies

Comptroller of Schwanz Hats

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5025 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 06:47 AM

I play around with it sometimes. It's not as bad as it sounds. For an aggressive morning person, it totally changes my energy profile throughout the day.

#4 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79497 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:55 AM

Good for you.

But also, go get a CPAP machine, Dude! They're fecking awesome!

It must be a bitch to get used to though? I'm a light sleeper as it is... I struggle if the pillow doesn't feel right or if there's a hole in my sock.... I can't imagine sleeping with a mask strapped to your face. How do you avoid getting tangled in hoses when you flip around during the night?

#5 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33030 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:05 AM

It must be a bitch to get used to though? I'm a light sleeper as it is... I struggle if the pillow doesn't feel right or if there's a hole in my sock.... I can't imagine sleeping with a mask strapped to your face. How do you avoid getting tangled in hoses when you flip around during the night?

I don't use a "mask." This is what I use.   I love it because I can open my mouth to breathe when I want to, like to yawn.  The hose is behind the head and un-noticed.

#6 TxBrewer

TxBrewer

CrAp Czar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19843 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:15 AM

I have been doing the low carb/keto stuff since last November so if you want any meal ideas we have a good collection of staples of our dinner rotation.    I have been considering the intermittent fasting as a way to boost weight loss but when i do reading the morning coffee creamer is supposed to break the fast so I have not been willing to go that far yet.   Good luck with it

#7 Julius H Gardetto

Julius H Gardetto

Comptroller of Delusional Berkley Hippie Types

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21974 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:19 AM

Been doing it for three years. I dig it

#8 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10447 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:30 AM

I've lost about 10 lbs over the past 2 months doing this. I like how it's fancy-speak for skipping breakfast. I'll eat breakfast if it's a special occasion or I need to fuel up for a hike or bike ride. I have another 10 lbs to get where I want to be. 

What I like about it is it doesn't really require any special restrictions. I eat sensible portions at lunch and dinner, but not restricted. I definitely start to feel hungry around 11, but otherwise don't really miss breakfast. 

If I get stuck before I get to my goal weight (185), I'll try skipping lunch as well on my long day at work (easy to enforce, as I just won't bring any food, and I get home later, so that avoids the getting home and having a pre-dinner snack attack). 

Edited by porter, 05 November 2019 - 08:36 AM.

#9 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79497 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 09:07 AM

I feel like the hardest part would be in the evenings. I consume a good half of my daily calories after 4pm, and a good half of those after 7!

#10 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9757 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 05 November 2019 - 09:22 AM

I've lost about 10 lbs over the past 2 months doing this. I like how it's fancy-speak for skipping breakfast. I'll eat breakfast if it's a special occasion or I need to fuel up for a hike or bike ride. I have another 10 lbs to get where I want to be. 

What I like about it is it doesn't really require any special restrictions. I eat sensible portions at lunch and dinner, but not restricted. I definitely start to feel hungry around 11, but otherwise don't really miss breakfast. 

If I get stuck before I get to my goal weight (185), I'll try skipping lunch as well on my long day at work (easy to enforce, as I just won't bring any food, and I get home later, so that avoids the getting home and having a pre-dinner snack attack). 

I'd suggest that (at least for me) it's not just a matter of skipping breakfast, it's also cutting out essetially all snacking during the day.  Basically going to 2 meals a day, and smaller meals than I used to consume.

I've found that keeping my stomach relatively full of liquid (water, Powerade) helps keep the stomach from rumbling too much during the day.

#11 Glacies

Glacies

Comptroller of Schwanz Hats

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5025 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 09:24 AM

I am not backing a dog here, but I understood intermittent fasting was absolutely no metabolic response from intake for 16 hours. So i stop taking in anything but water and coffee from 8pm one night till noon the next day.

That's how I do it anyway, usually it's leveled me out, i might eat a bigger dinner in the evening but when lunch rolls around, I'm eating for energy not because I'm hungry. Sometimes.

#12 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43899 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 05 November 2019 - 10:24 AM

This reminds me that I need to start our BB weight loss challenge.

#13 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40710 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 05 November 2019 - 10:33 AM

This reminds me that I need to start our BB weight loss challenge.

I was gonna post that Bklmt seems to be winning at present.

#14 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8249 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 05 November 2019 - 10:42 AM

I know when I was in Europe that one time on average most people there weren’t carrying any extra weight like we do here in the states.

They told me to eat like a king for breakfast, queen for lunch and a prince for dinner. My friends parents usually just snacked on summer sausages and the like. I don’t recall ever seeing them eat a full blown dinner.

#15 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40710 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 05 November 2019 - 11:41 AM

I know when I was in Europe that one time on average most people there weren’t carrying any extra weight like we do here in the states.

They told me to eat like a king for breakfast, queen for lunch and a prince for dinner. My friends parents usually just snacked on summer sausages and the like. I don’t recall ever seeing them eat a full blown dinner.

I'd rather be obese on my feet than lean on my knees.

#16 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9757 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 02 December 2019 - 12:20 PM

Bumping for a brief update: things seem to be improving.

I'm sleeping mostly better (some days, like today, insomnia hits hard; I was up and logged in for work at 4 a.m.), and last week, I started to incorporate lifting back into my regimen, 3x/week, which appears to be helping accelerate progress a bit.

For several years, I couldn't take off my wedding ring due to my weight, but just earlier, I was able to take it off without much fuss.  My face and hands look noticeably thinner, and my pants are becoming loose enough that I can't get by without a belt.

Not sure what I weigh, but things do appear to be trending in the proper direction. 

No question, I still have a ways to go to get down to the weight I want to be at (180 would be good; been over 200 for far too many years), but all signs have been encouraging so far.

#17 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40710 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 02 December 2019 - 12:33 PM

:cheers:  :cheers:

#18 thool

thool

Comptroller of Great Pendulous Videos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3656 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:03 PM

FWIW I lost 16 pounds in 2 months by simply skipping lunch. Breakfast is steel cut oats and black coffee, with a good multi-vitamin. Lots of water throughout the day. If water is "boring" then add some Real Lemon or Real Lime powder packs...they are natural and have no sugars. I use them in mixed drinks as well.

Funny thing is, I think my stomach shrunk, because I eat smaller dinners. No booze or snacks except for weekends, and even then it's only 3 drinks total.

I'm down to 170 now, and want to get to 165 by the end of this year. I'm sleeping better, feel more energy, and clothes fit much better.

#19 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2086 posts
  • LocationBalmer, Merlin, Hon

Posted 05 December 2019 - 12:23 PM

I know when I was in Europe that one time on average most people there weren’t carrying any extra weight like we do here in the states. They told me to eat like a king for breakfast, queen for lunch and a prince for dinner.

I was going up 5 pounds a year. About 20 years ago I saw on Discovery channel what they called the inverted diet. Last week I watched the public mind programming channel and they had a episode about Greece. I noticed a decidedly different aspect ratio of Grecian relative those of us here in the states. The host said most Grecians follow the King, Prince, Pauper diet.

The truth is a 'diet' is a temporary modification to your food intake which causes a temporary weight reduction. Typically you either plateau or just get tied of depriving yourself. Your body has reduced its basic metabolic rate and to personalize its perspective: "THANK GOD I survived the famine. We finally have food. Let's pack on a few more pounds because there might be another famine."

If you think about this you (meaning me as well) got to your present weight by eating in a certain fashion. If you stop and then resume your previous intake the obvious thing is you will return to your previous weight. IIRC the formula:

weight gain (in lbs)=((caloric intake)-BMR-exercise)/3500 Kcal

is pretty much irrefutable. Dropping your BMR due to dieting is what causes yo-yoing. The only way is low and slow.

That said one guy at my previous job was over 400. By dropping high fructose sodas, snacks and eating a proper 2,000 cal per day diet he was under 200 in a year and stayed that way. He swore he'd never go back to eating junk food or soda.

I wish you all luck in achieving your fitness goals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users