#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32939 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 03 November 2019 - 12:07 PM

The president of the HOA is on video claiming his desire to push through a fine/foreclosure scheme to try and get rid of "people that can't afford to live here anyway." He thinks he can enact new rules by "clarifying" the deed restrictions without having a vote. Um, no.

My question is, is there anything illegal about his statement that he is actively trying to create problems for homeowners so he can foreclose on the homes when they can't afford the fines or the legal defense? Or, is this more a court of public opinion would crucify him, but it's not illegal kind of thing?

So, my HOA board has laid a giant turd sandwich here. We're about 99% sure that if we want to we could get the HOA dissolved of members since they screwed up the paperwork when they renewed. So we're not completely worried, we've had lawyers check into it and it's fairly cut and dry in FL that our HOA could be nuked from orbit, and we might very well do that to protect people in the neighborhood from evil schemes like this.

We're a 35 year old neighborhood and with that comes problems with people not keeping up their homes, and some not able to since they are elderly or they werehit hard by the recession. Since this turd burglar started poking the bear, neighbors have come out of the woodwork and offered to help each other for the first time in a long time.

Oh yeah and the obligatory, HOA's suck. Never again will I buy a house that has any sort of strong HOA.

#2 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36279 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 03 November 2019 - 02:21 PM

Well, I guess bright side is people are fixing their shit. We go through great lengths to keep our curb appeal up and most of our neighbors do as well. There are a few who don’t and it’s annoying. Doesn’t mean they should be kicked out tho.

#3 MoreAmmoPlz

MoreAmmoPlz

Comptroller of Ivory Powers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1991 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 03 November 2019 - 03:24 PM

What are the deed restrictions?

#4 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32939 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 07:07 PM

Well, I guess bright side is people are fixing their shit. We go through great lengths to keep our curb appeal up and most of our neighbors do as well. There are a few who don’t and it’s annoying. Doesn’t mean they should be kicked out tho.

We're a 35 year old neighborhood. It's not a designer HOA community. We work on our homes every week for the most part. There are some people that are old that have been here since the beginning and we try to help them as a community. There are some renters that don't keep things up too, but there are ways to combat that.

What are the deed restrictions?

As of now they are pretty vague and pretty much follow the county code. This assclown wants to impose condo-association type rules on us where everything looks the same and has to be approved and the community looks like a bunch of clones live there. It would put over 90% of the homes in violation and some would take multi-thousands to bring up to the proposed rules, hence his evil ill conceived plan. On top of that he fired the old association lawyer (and we're being sued for money owed) and he hired a notorious law firm who's bread and butter is fining homeowners into foreclosure. The news has done stories on this firm for their practices.

It's a shit show and feels like the plot of a Scooby-doo episode.

#5 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

Comptroller of Flying Ducks

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10611 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 03 November 2019 - 07:31 PM

Gonna suggest farting into old coffee cans and mailing them out.

Edited by Beejus McReejus, 03 November 2019 - 07:31 PM.

#6 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3956 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:10 PM

Start the nuke process before he starts f’ing anything up.
I’d be door to door collecting petitions to recall the asshole
Have a neighborhood meeting open to all with his video playing on loop and see how quick he can be run off.

#7 miccullen

miccullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63022 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:14 PM

Have a neighborhood meeting open to all with his video playing on loop and see how quick he can be run off.

this, #### this asswipe, hard

#8 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32939 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:51 PM

We've already passed out flyers to the whole neighborhood (1100 homes). They've kicked most of the people that are making a stink about this off the facebook page (which is controlled by a board member). One crazy lady threatened one of the volunteers when she put a flyer on her door and the volunteer had to call the cops to get crazy lady to leave her alone.

The whole thing stinks and we're organized and we're going to nip this in the bud. Most people want an HOA here, but don't want it to have teeth. Nuking it would piss a lot of people off, but the law is the law. All the other neighborhood HOA's that are as old as ours have gone to voluntary HOA and a special taxing district was set up to care for common areas like the entrances. 

#9 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106619 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 03 November 2019 - 09:19 PM

If someone tried to seize my home by dining me for dumb shit until it reached critical mass, I think I'd interpret that as a direct threat to my property and livelihood.

That said, this is the reason I stay out of mob-run neighborhoods to begin with.

#10 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32807 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 03 November 2019 - 10:23 PM

Establish an alternative Facebook page ASAP.

Nuke that mofo from orbit.

Eta: Are your utilities buried? Could you cut his shit at all easily?

#11 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21948 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 04 November 2019 - 04:14 AM

My HOA is 50 years old and it's only real responsibility is common property which amounts to a pool and some green space. When we moved here in 2012 the dues were a one time $250. (It was increased once or twice since the 70). If you wanted to use the pool there is an additional annual fee. With 900 houses there was not enough revenue to really maintain the pool. There was a move to change the due structure. That process took 2 years with meetings and votes. Eventually we settled on 500 plus annual of 65, you still pay additional if you use the pool.

My point is this guy can't just change the rules without it being approved

#12 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23291 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 04 November 2019 - 07:40 AM

Pull out the CC&R's to see what they can and cannot do, how the document can be amended, and how the legal fees get paid if the HOA fails.  Wouldn't hurt to see how the Board is elected and find enough members to overturn them at the next election.  Get yourself on the Board and move to disband it.  HOA's suck. 

We lived in an HOA neighborhood for a couple of years before moving to Cali.  The douchebag that was head of the HOA would literally ride his bicycle around the neighborhood every other night looking for violations.  

#13 maddog

maddog

Comptroller of badogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 07:45 AM

Never will I live in a neighborhood governed by an HOA.

#14 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61000 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 04 November 2019 - 07:46 AM

Never will I live in a neighborhood governed by an HOA again.

ftfm.

#15 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78996 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 07:46 AM

Never will I live in a neighborhood governed by an HOA.

this

#16 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3956 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 11:48 AM

My neighborhood has no real HOA but we do have some very loose cc&rs that say no livestock and a water board since we have a common well.
Our water board was kinda ignored so a fellow who works for the city water provider (suez) got himself elected to it and has tried to make a push to switch to city water.
I got kinda tired of his crap and so did a few neighbors and he’s gone now, house sold and all. Not before he managed to get us hooked to the city for three months in the winter due to a slight increase in uranium over 30 years. New board has long time homeowners and we are sticking to that but selling our water to them for those three months and so there was a zero net cost increase.
People need to restrain their ambitions to shit that effects them only.
And my next door neighbor has a horse now too.......
Mini horse that gets staked out in the lawn to graze, it’s rather funny.

#17 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61000 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 04 November 2019 - 12:52 PM

sounds like you need a chicken coop

and goats.

#18 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3956 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 04:22 PM

sounds like you need a chicken coop

and goats.

Got chickens and turkeys, goats are evil escape artists so that’ll wait until or if I move to someplace with space enough they won’t constantly piss me off.

#19 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24095 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 04 November 2019 - 06:45 PM

I get that there is a reason for HOAs.  And in the most broad sense they make some amount of logic. But when they go off the rails like in this case, or when they dictate your curtain color, where you can park, or what you can and cannot do in your garage it's clear something has gone wrong.  

#20 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32939 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:34 PM

The civility of discussion is gone. One of the board members accused the son of one of the guys working towards keeping the HOA from overstepping it's bounds of bully her kid at school. The guys kid doesn't know the other kid and has no clue what the hell an HOA even is (hes like 7 years old).

I think I'm going nuclear and talking to a lawyer. I don't see a path to any sort of compromise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users