26 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53897 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 06:50 PM

I played a lot of games when I was younger.  This was a long time ago:  The Ultima series was one of them.  A lot of sports stuff on the old NES, Wolfenstein and Duke Nukem, etc.  Eventually I had kids and played a little bit when they were younger but then they got Xbox and Xbox 1 and the games were so much more than I was used to.  So now everyone is out of the house.  In the summer I wouldn't sit inside and play games.  In the winter I might be more inclined to watch some Netflix or whatever but I could see getting a game system (my two sons have taken their Xbox One machines to school with them) and playing some spr0ts or a game.  Some of these RPG where you just wander aimlessly and kill everything that moves... doesn't appeal to me as much.  What kind of "fantasy" video game is good for a dude in his 50s who hasn't done much video gaming in the last 20 years and which game machine should I get?

In Ultima you had a group of characters and wandered around a fake world with cities and woods and oceans, etc.  You came across gold and thieves guilds and badasses that you had to fight, etc.  

#2 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111757 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 07:12 PM

Skyrim. PC, ps4, xbox, your choice.

Also Dragon Age: Inquisition is fantastic

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53897 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 07:30 PM

Is one game system considered superior over any other?  It seems like both of my sons adore their Xbox One machines.

So my youngest would play and I would occasionally sit down next to him and watch.  He's a guy and it's World War One (I forget the name of the game) and he's standing behind a building and other people are wandering around (actual players from other parts of the world) and he has his weapon and then he runs over to that building over there and gets hit a few times and his health drops and now he's in some bushes and eventually another guy comes nearby and kills him.  Repeat that same thing about 40 times and I'm out of here.  I tell him, "You might have to be a little more strategic instead of just running out into the open and getting killed" but what do I know?  Maybe I need something with a little more thought and a little less action, you know?  You feel me, bro?  :D  I'll check out your titles.  Thanks.  

#4 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59126 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 02 November 2019 - 03:41 AM

Bro, it sounds like your son isn't gud. Maybe he just likes looking at the graphics?

Stain speaks truth. Solid games. Fallout 3 and 4 are good places to start if you want more guns and some radiation.

They're still producing plenty of story-driven RPGs like ultima. Divinity, tyranny, pathfinder, etc.  If you want something like diablo (run around and kill for loot and lust) then Grim Dawn is amazing. 

My prefered system is PC. Steam for games.

#5 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111757 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 06:54 AM

Ps4 vs Xbox largely comes down to personal tastes. Most of the big titles will come to both, although PS4 seems to get a few more exclusives. PS4 is also the top seller. I prefer it myself but I know guys who love their Xbox.

Also keep in mind you're about at the end of the current generation. PS5 is due out in 2020.

#6 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59126 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 02 November 2019 - 07:43 AM

Differences between the consoles come down to Xbox having Halo and then a bunch of minor features and whatevers.  

PC is still king for me. Just built a fresh desktop. Overpowered to handle some work applications and a graphics card to handle some alone time that i'll never get but fantacize about.  

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53897 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:51 AM

I'll probably get an XBOX.  My oldest son plays a lot of sports including the NBA.  My youngest son plays the single-shooter games.  I walk past the TV and ask what he's playing and he tells me but I never remember.  COD, Fortnite, something with "Fall" in it, etc.  They all seem very similar to me.  As far as sports, they used to be easier back in the day.  For baseball you could push whatever button to throw whatever pitch and then guide it to whatever part of the strike zone and as a hitter you could "just swing" or you could swing low, high, etc.  Now you have to craft your player down to the DNA and pitching requires three buttons, a trigger, the D-button plus a potion made from eye of newt and a jog around the block.  :P  It's one reason I retired and just watched my sons playing.  

#8 inv

inv

Not Invalid

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13703 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 05 November 2019 - 02:45 PM

If you can hold off a bit the new systems will start to come out next year.  That means either an upgrade or even cheaper last gen options

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53897 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 05:51 PM

If you can hold off a bit the new systems will start to come out next year.  That means either an upgrade or even cheaper last gen options

Thanks for that.  My kids will be back for a week around Thanksgiving and then a month (for my sons) over winter break and I thought it would be cool to have the XBOX here for them but... all of their games will be back at school.  I suppose I could tell them that I got a new system and pack your favorite games if you want to play them.  Seems like there would be a good reaction to that.  When they're not playing on it, I'll get reacquainted with gaming.  Cheers.  

#10 Glacies

Glacies

Comptroller of Schwanz Hats

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5095 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:21 PM

I preordered the google stadia. I think it comes this month. Streaming gaming, cross platform. 

#11 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111757 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:20 PM

Personally I can't wait for ps5

Stadia, I'm sorry to say, and I'm speaking in my capacity as a professional, is bullshit.

#12 Glacies

Glacies

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5095 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:43 AM

professional gamer?

Personally I'm interested in it because its somewhat modular nature and ability to satisfy casual gaming for myself and my family. If cross platform works, it'd be cool to get on with my friends who are split on platforms. I understand that single player saves files to a cloud account and can then be picked up on another platform.

In the context of this thread, I think the concept stands for itself. PC gaming and physical media ownership is never going away, but between steam, and that NVIDIA platform, I think this is the next step in the evolution for light and casual gamers.

#13 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59126 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 06 November 2019 - 08:19 AM

IIRC the streaming games have higher latency because you're not processing locally.  I've got the hardware, so i'd rather set things to my own specs. Not to say im uninterested in streaming, but right now the need is not apparent.

#14 Glacies

Glacies

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5095 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 08:31 AM

Oh - well I've been doing quite a bit with cloud services lately. For fairly predictable response patterns, I think a lot can be done with negative latency, but I have no doubt it will be an issue especially at launch. I am sure unless it's game breaking - which how can google afford to launch a product that can't get off the ground? - I would find a way to deal with it. I am not a professional gamer, however.

#15 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59126 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 06 November 2019 - 08:39 AM

I used one of the early streaming services. Forget the name, was about 10 years ago. It was pretty good. With some games, you couldn't tell the difference. With others, you'd get the sense of lag in an otherwise single player game.

#16 Glacies

Glacies

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5095 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 08:43 AM

ude, we didn't even have the internet 10 years ago

#17 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59126 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 06 November 2019 - 08:46 AM

ude, we didn't even have the internet 10 years ago

Might've been 9 years ago.  The service eventually collapsed. To far ahead of the spear tip.

#18 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111757 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 12:38 PM

professional gamer?

Personally I'm interested in it because its somewhat modular nature and ability to satisfy casual gaming for myself and my family. If cross platform works, it'd be cool to get on with my friends who are split on platforms. I understand that single player saves files to a cloud account and can then be picked up on another platform.

In the context of this thread, I think the concept stands for itself. PC gaming and physical media ownership is never going away, but between steam, and that NVIDIA platform, I think this is the next step in the evolution for light and casual gamers.

professional opinion-haver.

:D

I just worry a lot about latency and issues with spotty connectivity.

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53897 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 08:44 PM

Brothers... I ordered an Xbox1 and also Outer Worlds.  It will arrive in the next day or so and I'm sure my two sons (home from school) will be playing for awhile.  My one son is bringing home some games to play while on break.  I plan to order more games but I started with this one.  It's going on a 55" screen so this should be pretty epic.  I'm excited to get it.  

#20 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59126 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 18 December 2019 - 03:39 AM

Brothers... I ordered an Xbox1 and also Outer Worlds.  It will arrive in the next day or so and I'm sure my two sons (home from school) will be playing for awhile.  My one son is bringing home some games to play while on break.  I plan to order more games but I started with this one.  It's going on a 55" screen so this should be pretty epic.  I'm excited to get it.  

Is that the biggest TV you've got? We aren't in college anymore, man. 

I was gonna go after your choice of game too, but then i looked it up. Nice. If i had time to sit down with a game, i'd be in. Not on some tiny 55 (inch? you said inches, right? Not decimeters?) tv, tho. I mean, your kids are gonna have to sit close to see what's up. Tell the one with the van to rob an electronics store and bring home a bigger TV.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users