#1 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24048 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:21 PM

So in general I hate killing anything I don't intend to eat, or that isn't trying to hurt me (like mosquitos).  That said, I have been a bit murder-happy with the spotted lanternflies I come across.  But otherwise I really don't like killing anything.  So today I get to my mountain house and do the usual check of the mouse traps.  We use sticky traps as the seem quite effective.  Whenever I catch one I do tend to feel bad as it couldn't possibly have been a good death stuck to the trap like that, however I realize the necessity of keeping mice out of my house so I deal with it.

But today I get to my house and while doing the usual check I found one mouse stuck to a trap.  My wife was here two weeks ago so it couldn't have been that old (she reset the traps before she left.  I pick up the trap and start to carry it to the trash bin, and I happen to look a little closer at it.  Again I think about how I hate killing mice because they are kinda cute... but... they have to go... and then it moved... breathed a little.  Wiggled a bit on the trap.  Damn.  Still alive.  I really felt bad now.

Took it outside, turned it over on some leaves on the concrete patio and stomped it.  Couldn't think of a better way to end the poor thing's life.  I hated seeing it suffer like that.  

For some reason I am sitting here drinking a beer and toasting the poor mouse who happened to try to make my house a warm place to hide from the cold and got caught in my trap...

#2 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33656 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:27 PM

I have posted about this before.  I also get no joy out of killing them but they carry disease and a pair of mice can create another 2000 offspring in one year.  I have also had live mice stuck in my traps (which are JAWS type traps and quite serious).  Once a mouse tripped the trap and had his butt stuck in there.  Another one had the jaws around it's midsection with its head stuck in the trap but was somehow still alive.  Usually they are smashed like pancakes.  I have two traps in the basement, 4 in the garage and 2 more in a small shed in the corner of my yard where there has been activity.  Remember too that if they're dead, it's really hard for them to reproduce.  :P  Cheers and enjoy your mountain house, top hat and monocle.  :lol:

#3 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24048 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:29 PM

Oh for sure... they can't be in my house.  So they have to die.  But I certainly don't like doing it, especially under my boot when the trap didn't do the job completely.

I already donned my top hat and monocle :D

#4 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27752 posts
  • LocationKC - Kansas side

Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:36 PM

I don't want this on my PC so I'll leave it here

https://www.peta.org...ife/house-mice/

#5 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29920 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:40 PM

Took it outside, turned it over on some leaves on the concrete patio and stomped it.  Couldn't think of a better way to end the poor thing's life.  I hated seeing it suffer like that.  

You need a Mouse-a-pult to launch them into the lake... dip them in diesel and light them first of course.

#6 Webb Ellis

Webb Ellis

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32888 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:44 PM

You need a Mouse-a-pult to launch them into the lake... dip them in diesel and light them first of course.

Viking funeral would really tie the lake together

#7 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16954 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:55 PM

Glue traps do seem torturous. Mice are not an issue in my SC house but they were when I lived in NY. I used the traditional traps there, seemed a bit more humane.

#8 Ineedacatscan

Ineedacatscan

Comptroller of BAW!!!1!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3693 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:57 PM

I’ve caught a couple by the tail in conventional traps.

I’ve grabbed them by the tail and given them a couple hard whacks against a deck board... never feel gd about it. But they gotta go.

#9 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33656 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:57 PM

I once used one of these plastic traps where the mouse goes in for the bait and then the door closes behind him.  But now you have a live mouse in a box!  WTF.  The directions say you can take it somewhere and release it.  No, thank you.  So I had it in the box for like a day and I realized this would take forever because there is food in there.  So I dropped the box into a bucket of water.  No, not my finest hour but that was the end of those traps.  :D

#10 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39886 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 11 October 2019 - 03:02 PM

Cervical dislocation. Press thumb against the back of the skull and give the tail a firm yank. Second to that, if you've got a cooler and a CO2 tank, you pump CO2 into the cooler and cover with the mouse inside. Humane af.

Now that we've covered the approved methods, let's get a little darker as we descend into the pleasur---

Damn, sorry the wife wants something

#11 GaryNConcord

GaryNConcord

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1573 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 11 October 2019 - 03:24 PM

Glue traps do seem torturous. Mice are not an issue in my SC house but they were when I lived in NY. I used the traditional traps there, seemed a bit more humane.

This.  I use the traditional traps so its quick.  A while back, I had a Terro ant bait on the floor.  It got tipped over unnoticed and the juice ran out and dried slightly.  I came in the room one morning where a mouse had gotten caught in the stuff which acted like a glue trap.  Little dude was squeaking at me.  I stomped him quickly, and didn't feel too good about the whole deal.  

#12 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33656 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 05:23 PM

Check out THIS product on Amazon and go to the first review and look at the picture. Have you ever seen a mouse come out like that in broad daylight? I admit that I once saw a mouse in my backyard in the middle of the afternoon and I'm pretty sure I posted about it in the PH but that is freaky.

Also, LOL @ Does this mouse look deterred? The bottle of the product is RIGHT BEHIND the mouse. :lol:

#13 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5273 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 11 October 2019 - 07:20 PM

I don't want this on my PC so I'll leave it here

https://www.peta.org...ife/house-mice/

Mice and rats are fastidiously clean animals who groom themselves several times a day and are less likely than dogs or cats to transmit parasites and viruses.

I guess PETA never heard of fleas and the Black Plague.  Or now that I think about it, maybe they were all for it.

#14 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3930 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 09:22 PM

I’ve used glue traps forever, I’ve seen mice cannibalize other mice on the glue traps and get stuck there next to their half eaten third cousin or wtf ever and I couldn’t care less.
They are foul vermin and I don’t give a damn how they die as long as they’re out of my home.
They basically lay a trail of piss everywhere they go and will destroy any of my possessions they deem suitable thus I will destroy them by any method I deem suitable.

#15 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10244 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 11 October 2019 - 09:47 PM

No one should "feel good" about killing another creature, at least in the instant, as that's probably a sign of pathology, but you shouldn't feel bad about killing vermin humanely, as circumstances best allow. The PETA link is just no.

#16 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78033 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:40 AM

The other day I opened my shed and 2 mice ran out. The chickens were right there and made short work of them. Savage ####ers.

#17 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33656 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:48 AM

All I can think is... thank your lucky stars that it turned out the way it did and that we're higher up on the food chain than they are. They will go to any and all lengths to screw with you, destroy your shit, eat whatever they want, etc. and they show no mercy in your direction so why should we feel any toward them?  Oh, because we're better than they are?  Okay.  :P  Oh but wait... they leave poop everywhere!  Feckers.

#18 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39886 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted Yesterday, 06:56 AM

All I can think is... thank your lucky stars that it turned out the way it did and that we're higher up on the food chain than they are. They will go to any and all lengths to screw with you, destroy your shit, eat whatever they want, etc. and they show no mercy in your direction so why should we feel any toward them?  Oh, because we're better than they are?  Okay.  :P  Oh but wait... they leave poop everywhere!  Feckers.

The food chain should be thanking ME.

#19 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33656 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:01 AM

I just had the cover put on the pool yesterday and I see little holes here and there that were not there before.  So mice were living in the folded-up cover over the winter.  This is fargin' war.  :lol:

#20 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39886 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted Yesterday, 07:03 AM

I just had the cover put on the pool yesterday and I see little holes here and there that were not there before.  So mice were living in the folded-up cover over the winter.  This is fargin' war.  :lol:

You know i have no love of cats. However, if kept unfed and out of doors, they will decimate acres worth of small animal populations.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users