#1 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5273 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:33 PM

Is this the norm now?  Feck you Ticketmaster.  One more reason I prefer small shows.  I don't get why venues don't sell their own tickets and keep the fees for themselves.

#2 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43568 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:40 PM

They fecking charge you to print your own ticket. I hate it.

#3 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42718 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:57 PM

They have to charge you for something ridiculous since they really don't do anything of value.

#4 Augie91

Augie91

Rocket

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18943 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:00 PM

Fees are sky high on NBA tix too :(

#5 Iron Chic

Iron Chic

Not Invalid

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11449 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:31 PM

It's not the norm lol

#6 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35760 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 11 October 2019 - 06:28 AM

It’s not far off from the norm for big shows unfortunately. I buy a lot of concert tickets, it wouldn’t surprise me if it was more than all of the blewbies put together for the year. It’s not as easy as just printing tickets. It takes people to do and it’s way cheaper to not do it in house and Ticketmaster has contracts with all the major venues. It’s basically racketeering. If you haven’t had the pleasure of encountering their new Platinum ticketing, just wait, your head will explode. They don’t just sell all the tickets anymore. Now they hold a bunch of the betickets and price them based on demand. So you might get a ticket for $80 and the person sitting next to you paid $300. I’ve posted this book before, but if you think Ticketmaster is bad, wait til you read this book
https://www.amazon.c...ing=UTF8&btkr=1
It’s not far off from the norm for big shows unfortunately. I buy a lot of concert tickets, it wouldn’t surprise me if it was more than all of the blewbies put together for the year. It’s not as easy as just printing tickets. It takes people to do and it’s way cheaper to not do it in house and Ticketmaster has contracts with all the major venues. It’s basically racketeering. If you haven’t had the pleasure of encountering their new Platinum ticketing, just wait, your head will explode. They don’t just sell all the tickets anymore. Now they hold a bunch of the betickets and price them based on demand. So you might get a ticket for $80 and the person sitting next to you paid $300. I’ve posted this book before, but if you think Ticketmaster is bad, wait til you read this book

#7 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35760 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 11 October 2019 - 06:34 AM

Whoa

#8 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42718 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 11 October 2019 - 07:31 AM

Nice jorb drunkie!

#9 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5273 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:43 AM

Could you repeat that?

I realize there is more too it than just printing tickets, but I'd have thought that a third party solution could be had for a reasonable cost.  Just saying that you're not affiliated to Ticketmaster should help business.  The venues must get some kind of kickback from Ticketmaster for them to keep signing up.

Well, the venues not owned by the same company anyway.

#10 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42718 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 11 October 2019 - 12:44 PM

Could you repeat that?

I realize there is more too it than just printing tickets, but I'd have thought that a third party solution could be had for a reasonable cost.  Just saying that you're not affiliated to Ticketmaster should help business.  The venues must get some kind of kickback from Ticketmaster for them to keep signing up.

Well, the venues not owned by the same company anyway.

That's what I don't understand.  What value are they adding to the process that could possibly justify the fees?  I'm obviously missing something because if it's just a processing service then someone would have already come in and ate their lunch for $0.75/ticket.  They have to have a monopoly on some part of the process that is preventing competition.

#11 Iron Chic

Iron Chic

Not Invalid

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11449 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 11 October 2019 - 12:56 PM

Pearl Jam died for our sins

#12 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30370 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, Ia

Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:09 PM

If it is a LiveNation venue, it is owned by ticketmaster.  Where was the show?

#13 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8529 posts
  • Location38.362783, -85.311367 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:13 PM

Outsourcing ticketing and collecting your check on the back end is far easier then contracting the pieces or doing it yourself. Also Ticketmaster lets them sell anywhere, not just through the office window or wherever they are setup locally. In turn TM has lawyers, managers, and executives to feed.

#14 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21712 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:27 PM

I think outsourcing to Ticketmaster started in the 80s. At the he time they could give scalability with 24/7 call centers, credit card processing etc.

Today you would think venues could more easily handle this with software, even if it is Ticketmaster software. I would think the charge should be lower.

I get annoyed when I walk up to the venue and buy the ticket from them and still get a Ticketmaster charge.

#15 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8529 posts
  • Location38.362783, -85.311367 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 11 October 2019 - 03:35 PM

I get annoyed when I walk up to the venue and buy the ticket from them and still get a Ticketmaster charge.

Part of the reason I don’t go see shows and crap.

#16 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29920 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:02 PM

I paid $8 to see Pink Floyd in 1975 at Three Rivers Stadium with Andre Previn conducting the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra.

Couldn't imagine what that would cost now..

#17 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21712 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:17 PM

I paid $8 to see Pink Floyd in 1975 at Three Rivers Stadium with Andre Previn conducting the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra.

to rebuild 3 rivers would cost a lot

#18 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8074 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:33 PM

I gave $14 in the mid 80's to see ZZ. I think Foreigner was about the same. Back then you had to wait in line at the local music store to get the tickets. If it was a popular show you'd have to camp out to get a guaranteed ticket. 

#19 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29920 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:39 PM

I gave $14 in the mid 80's to see ZZ. I think Foreigner was about the same. Back then you had to wait in line at the local music store to get the tickets. If it was a popular show you'd have to camp out to get a guaranteed ticket. 

My sister gave me two $7 tickets to Foreigner in 1977.. the opener was a relatively unknown band named Journey.

Edited by Dave, 11 October 2019 - 04:39 PM.

#20 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16954 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:47 PM

I sold my Alice Cooper tix in 76 cause I wanted new trucks for my skateboard. It was about $15.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users