51 replies to this topic

#1 TxBrewer

TxBrewer

CrAp Czar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19449 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:07 PM

though it is political I didn't put this in the Hot Spot because I think this is something we should all be able to agree with and shouldn't go off the rails.  Well said Ellen.

#2 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43568 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:13 PM

I like what she said, but ffs it has been posted to my FB feed 20 times today.

#3 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21621 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:15 PM

The high road has a great view

#4 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105569 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:30 PM

Pffft.... If you don't agree with my political stance, just unfriend me now!

J/K. Well put, Ellen.

#5 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27752 posts
  • LocationKC - Kansas side

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:39 PM

That's a nice surprise

#6 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33656 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:25 PM

There have been some things where Michelle Obama and George W. Bush have looked very chummy and I thought that was a good sign.  Funny how people who are not involved (say, Ellen's fans) want to tweet about it and call it wrong when Ellen and GW are good with it and it's no one else's business.  Thanks for posting that.    

#7 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23126 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 08 October 2019 - 09:16 PM

I may not always agree with Ellen's politics, but she seems like the genuine article and it's hard not to like her.  And I'm not surprised GWB was chummy with her and that they had a good time.  Yes, he has developed a relationship with Michelle Obama.  Until George or Barrack die, she will ALWAYS be sitting next to him at official events.  And it shows that they have a mutual respect for one another.  

What get's me these days is the "if you support Politician X, then we have nothing to talk about and you can't be my friend".  So you know what I do in real life?  I rarely let anyone know what my politics are. Part of it is that I live in a very liberal area, but mostly its because I enjoy the company of the people that I'm friends with, so I steer conversations away from politics so that (a) I don't have to hear what they are saying, and (B) they won't say "we can't be friends anymore".  Yes... there are people that has happened to.  Disagreement with politics does not equal hate.  Ellen has found a way to bridge that gap.  Frankly, if she ran for office, I'd have to consider voting for her.  Not because I agree with her politics, but I see the benefit of having an opponent who may be willing to at least listen to what the politicians that share my world view have to say.

I'm just glad a celebrity finally came out and said what has been needed to be said.

#8 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60185 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 08 October 2019 - 09:25 PM

KDSITN

#9 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22151 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:38 PM

Do not forget Whoopie Goldberg. She went on a her rant against the actors from Will and Grace and they wanted the names of the people at a Trump fund raiser published so they could decide who they want to work with.

Whoopie correctly identified this as a form of blacklisting and firing people because their politics are (in your opinion) is wrong..

I tried to make that point on facebook when the Firefox developer got fired for contributing to anti same sex marriage group. I was accused of "Oh you are one of those types."

#10 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33656 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:28 AM

I occasionally get into political conversations but I never take a stand like "if you believe this or that, we cannot be friends".  I will say that we will have to agree to disagree or whatever but no friendship should be thrown away like that.  I know a few super-righties and super-lefties and we will get into it... but never nasty, end-of-the-world stuff.  I don't know if Ellen's actions will change any minds but it would be good if they did.  When did everyone get so "who's on my side?", "Who's side are you on?", "Oh, you're on that side, well feck you"?  Sometimes politicians TRY to separate us and that's not good.  Kind of like this...

zz-pitchforks.jpg

#11 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30370 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, Ia

Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:32 AM

Yep people should still be able to be decent to their friends with political differences.

#12 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27752 posts
  • LocationKC - Kansas side

Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:47 AM

I wonder what the reactions would be if it had been Trump rather than W

#13 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30370 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, Ia

Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:57 AM

His personality would probably get in the way of that happening.

#14 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33656 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:08 AM

In that clip, GW had been out of office for 11 years.  The American people can forget a lot of BS in 11 years.  Trump now?  No way.  Trump in 11 years with another left-leaning person?  Maybe.  All that said, GW and Trump are not the same.  They may both have done things that peeved people but they're not the same.  Bill Maher relentlessly hammered GW for 8 years but once Trump got into office Maher begged for GW back.  That says something.

In before someone says Maher is an asshole.  I know he's an asshole.  

#15 Zsasz

Zsasz

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39756 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:11 AM

social media.  without this most of this crap would not be happening.  in general people won't talk politics in real life the way they would online and the people that do are generally people I wouldn't be friends with in real life regardless of their views.

maybe I'm wrong on that but it's been my experience growing up and now.  sometimes I can tell people forget for a moment it's real life and respond to things like they would on social media and then reel it in a bit.

#16 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60185 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:15 AM

Do not forget Whoopie Goldberg. She went on a her rant against the actors from Will and Grace and they wanted the names of the people at a Trump fund raiser published so they could decide who they want to work with.

Whoopie correctly identified this as a form of blacklisting and firing people because their politics are (in your opinion) is wrong..

I tried to make that point on facebook when the Firefox developer got fired for contributing to anti same sex marriage group. I was accused of "Oh you are one of those types."

basser put a REALLY good article about cancel culture up the other day, I feel this is a good place to put it

https://unherd.com/2...RHJATiaCLfysJIs

#17 Zsasz

Zsasz

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39756 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:29 AM

basser put a REALLY good article about cancel culture up the other day, I feel this is a good place to put it

look in the hot spot and you see almost all of those right here.  well done PH!  you are part of the problem.

#18 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33656 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:50 AM

Good stuff, thanks for sharing that.  I may have to share it with a few people too. 

#19 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105569 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 09 October 2019 - 08:06 AM

Yep people should still be able to be decent to their friends with political differences.

Lol. You're still not speaking to me though, right? :D

#20 Zsasz

Zsasz

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39756 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 October 2019 - 08:09 AM

Lol. You're still not speaking to me though, right? :D

the way you guys go at each other here probably wouldn't happen in real life, right?  I have to admit if one of my friends from real life come on this forum and argued with me like so many people around here do with each other I probably would no longer be friends with them.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users