#1 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 29 September 2019 - 07:08 PM

Well, been brewing my butt off this year- 20 batches. some made for demonstrations at the brew club, traditional sours, barrel aging, quick turnaround beers, the works.  

I have a bunch of batches ready to go; hops measured out, and stored in the freezer, grain measured out and stored in vacuum sealed bags ready for the crush, water profiles worked out, and a decent yeast bank to use. 

but, for the past month or so, haven't found the motivation to kick out a brew session. this is the first time in my 10 years of brewing that this "block" has happened. while i still love talking about beer, being President of the club. not going to quit anytime soon. 

so how do i get over this hump? It may happen when all my taps kick...

have anyone gone thru this in your brewing? 

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 05:21 AM

Well, been brewing my butt off this year- 20 batches. some made for demonstrations at the brew club, traditional sours, barrel aging, quick turnaround beers, the works.  

I have a bunch of batches ready to go; hops measured out, and stored in the freezer, grain measured out and stored in vacuum sealed bags ready for the crush, water profiles worked out, and a decent yeast bank to use. 

but, for the past month or so, haven't found the motivation to kick out a brew session. this is the first time in my 10 years of brewing that this "block" has happened. while i still love talking about beer, being President of the club. not going to quit anytime soon. 

so how do i get over this hump? It may happen when all my taps kick...

have anyone gone thru this in your brewing? 

Yup, seem to be in one most of this year to be honest.  I did 5 batches in January then one in April-ish and an extract experiment a few weeks back.  Most of the year I have been tinkering with equipment and trying to get back in a groove but it is just not there.  Work and home with kids activities has been really taking up my time.  My wife has encouraged me to go and clean the brewery and get brewing, even though she parley drinks any, but even that has not got me to brew.  I am hoping to shake it and get some beers going in these cooler months.

#3 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 30 September 2019 - 07:40 AM

^^ cooler months will definitely bring motivation.  I swore Saturday's batch would be the last one until the end of October just to get some cooler morning weather.

As for brewers block, pick up an old favorite beer book and re-read it.  For me this happened to be Farmhouse Ales.  I LOVE that book.  Do a "style" that you haven't done before.  Brew a clean simple lager or a SMASH.  

#4 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 30 September 2019 - 08:19 AM

I think every brewer goes through this.  I've been through several in 23 yrs of brewing.  What usually gets me out of a slump is learning about something new in the brewing process to try and continue to improve. The low-oxygen thing has been a high I've been riding for a 3 years now.      

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 September 2019 - 12:41 PM

I have an image of slim riding the a-bomb :lol:

#6 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 30 September 2019 - 01:15 PM

Why worry about it?  Brew if you want to, don't if you don't.  It's a hobby, not a job.  You don't HAVE to brew.

#7 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 30 September 2019 - 01:19 PM

Why worry about it?  Brew if you want to, don't if you don't.  It's a hobby, not a job.  You don't HAVE to brew.

Pretty much this

and you will eventually run out of homebrew............

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 09:33 PM

Sometimes I just see a show about beer, brewing, etc. and it inspires me.  But yes, I have gone through this for sure.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 October 2019 - 04:13 AM

I agree.  if you aren't in the mood there is probably a good reason for it.  no need to force something like this.  it's not like brushing your teeth or something ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users