• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 bdutton

bdutton

Comptroller of Gifts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts
  • LocationLooking over your shoulder, judging you.

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:05 AM

6-7%

#42 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32349 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:10 AM

Beer and wine are MUCH more psychoactive for me than spirits.  I had lunch with a friend on Saturday and I had 3 heffes and an Ofest in four hours.  I was WAY more buzzed than if I would have had five ounces of whisky.

#43 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39886 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:16 AM

Beer and wine are MUCH more psychoactive for me than spirits.  I had lunch with a friend on Saturday and I had 3 heffes and an Ofest in four hours.  I was WAY more buzzed than if I would have had five ounces of whisky.

Wouldn't have touched me.

#44 Zsasz

Zsasz

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39756 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:17 AM

maybe vagus can enlighten but isn't alcohol alcohol for the most part?  I could maybe see the carbonation of the beer increasing uptake rate but otherwise I dunno.

#45 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35760 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:19 AM

Beer and wine are MUCH more psychoactive for me than spirits. I had lunch with a friend on Saturday and I had 3 heffes and an Ofest in four hours. I was WAY more buzzed than if I would have had five ounces of whisky.

I kinda feel that way too. Sometimes I can do shot after shot and not really feel it. Probably has something to do with how it’s absorbed.

#46 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32349 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:20 AM

maybe vagus can enlighten but isn't alcohol alcohol for the most part?  I could maybe see the carbonation of the beer increasing uptake rate but otherwise I dunno.

It is a VERY marked difference.  Remember when I used to think I was allergic to beer?  That's why.

And it has nothing to do with the extra liquid or the speed of drinking.  Last weekend we were going to the lake, so I pre-mixed whisky with lemonade in a 1:7 ratio, so the resultant was 5%.  I drank a "six pack" worth of that stuff with almost no noticeable effect.  OTOH, two weeks before on the same lake with the same people I drank a six pack of beer and was much more buzzy.

I'm not saying I wouldn't have the same BAC or test the same on an agility test - though I've never tried - just that beer and wine have more of a mental effect.

#47 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39886 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:25 AM

Ethanol is ethanol. But variable in how it hits the blood stream and ultimately localizes to the brain. Best example is eating vs not eating while slamming shots.  Empty stomach feels the booze faster, although that's not the fastest way to feel it.

Further, alcohol is contextual to your existing psychology and anything else you might have onboard. If you're tired or amped up, the effects are variable. If you're on pain killers or have anything else that might be psychoactive (caffeine, even) the effect is different. Pure ethanol is more likely to deliver a consistent effect. Beer and wine have other constituents, hops and other alcohols in them. So if you're nipple sensitive to stuff like that (george the 4th) you might notice a different effect. 

And sometimes, you just drink more than expected. 4 pints is 5.3 5% beers.  5 ounces of 40% whiskey is 3.5 beers at 5%.

fxt a math mistake

Edited by Vagus, 12 September 2019 - 08:27 AM.

#48 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7552 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:35 AM

Same thing for me. 

I can sit and sip whiskey for hours.  Couple beers... and I'm feeling it.  I only rarely drink wine, but it's similar to beer. 

#49 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35760 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:43 AM

Ethanol is ethanol. But variable in how it hits the blood stream and ultimately localizes to the brain. Best example is eating vs not eating while slamming shots. Empty stomach feels the booze faster, although that's not the fastest way to feel it.

Further, alcohol is contextual to your existing psychology and anything else you might have onboard. If you're tired or amped up, the effects are variable. If you're on pain killers or have anything else that might be psychoactive (caffeine, even) the effect is different. Pure ethanol is more likely to deliver a consistent effect. Beer and wine have other constituents, hops and other alcohols in them. So if you're nipple sensitive to stuff like that (george the 4th) you might notice a different effect.

And sometimes, you just drink more than expected. 4 pints is 5.3 5% beers. 5 ounces of 40% whiskey is 3.5 beers at 5%.

fxt a math mistake

So thirsty for 5.3 beers. I’ll stain round it and drink 6

#50 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39886 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:44 AM

Plus one to grow on.

#51 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1945 posts
  • LocationBalmer, Merlin, Hon

Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:18 PM

Beer is passe.

Been vaping Everclear.

I'm just praying the LiPo doesn't arc over.

My lungs will explode.

Seriously though, I'm enjoying my British Milds at 3.7% ABV.

#52 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39886 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:26 PM

Beer is passe.
Been vaping Everclear.
I'm just praying the LiPo doesn't arc over.
My lungs will explode.

Seriously though, I'm enjoying my British Milds at 3.7% ABV.

Just be sure to up the volume to compensate

#53 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60186 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:07 PM

your stain rounding skills are weak, that’s at least a 12er

#54 Fuct

Fuct

Perro Grande

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4538 posts
  • LocationBakersfield California

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:25 PM

Animal flesh is the only thing keeping me alive. But that's not what we're talking about here is it?  Doobah used the singular when he should've busted a plural.  

Truth.......

4 and done.........

4 24 OZ 14% ABV in about an hour and a half and you'll wake up the next day and go outside and look at your bumper to see if you hit anything.......Even if you dont go out and drive.......You will remember not going out to drive but at about the end of the third Stack you will enter pre Blackout......By the time you are somewhere into the 4th, I'm talking within the hour and a half time frame, you will enter the blackout........Such Peacefulness...

Then if you are like me you do it again.........:frank:

:frank:

#55 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60186 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:29 PM

FTR this years sam Adams Octoberfest is solid

0 user(s) are reading this topic