#21 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59726 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:08 AM

my wife and I watched this when it came on, I was practically in tears, still gets me misty a little

#22 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29738 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:24 AM

prior to 9/11 the super bowl was always in January, its in Feb now.

The SB prior to 9/11 was in Feb and the one after was in Jan.

I think it's just a scheduling thing

#23 Iron Chic

Iron Chic

Not Invalid

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11412 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:33 AM

I was about three weeks out from moving to London. My "sister" was already there waiting for me. God those weeks were lonely.

#24 Dave

Dave

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29738 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:37 AM

I flew to Europe for a vacation on 10/11 and everyone thought I was crazy lol.

IOn Amsterdam I stayed at the Hotel Kabul flophouse and every morning I would have my coffee and croissant in the dining area while watching the USAF bomb the shit out of Afghanistan. 

The locals would glare at me..

#25 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59726 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:39 AM

I flew to Europe for a vacation on 10/11 and everyone thought I was crazy lol.

IOn Amsterdam I stayed at the Hotel Kabul flophouse and every morning I would have my coffee and croissant in the dining area while watching the USAF bomb the shit out of Afghanistan. 

The locals would glare at me..

well, waving a flag and cheering every time you saw a detonation was probably in poor taste.

#26 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15589 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:53 AM

I was going to a trade show in Atlanta and parked at the College Park Marta Station, right across the interstate from Hartsfield airport. On a direct flight path. Planes fly over about every 3 minutes at 200 feet, if that.

I got to the trade show and everyone was glued to TV screens showing the planes crashing into the towers. Not much later, the trade show closed for security reasons. I rode the train back to the MARTA station and it struck me how quiet it was. No planes overhead. None taking off or landing. Interstate was just about empty.

W/G had just came home from a trip to Canada. She had a coworker that was 6 months pregnant up there that lived in GA. She had to take a bus home. Took her 3 days to get home. She was put on bedrest for the rest of her term because of that trip.

#27 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59726 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:03 AM

I got to the trade show and everyone was glued to TV screens showing the planes crashing into the towers. Not much later, the trade show closed for security reasons. I rode the train back to the MARTA station and it struck me how quiet it was. No planes overhead. None taking off or landing. Interstate was just about empty.

yup, it was eerie 

i was working in the loop that day and the evac'd every building over 30 stories so I went to the train station and that was completely FECKED with people.  all trains were outbound, standing room only on the platforms and the trains.  I was lucky and grabbed a ride with a coworker who happened to have driven in that day.  outbound traffic was fecking awful.  what is typically a 2-ish hour commute in shit rush hour traffic turned into 4hrs.  by the time I got to my car at the office in the burbs (i was heading back there after a few meetings).  byt the time I got there and drove home the interstate was empty as feck all.  the interstates around chicago are NEVER empty like that.  no airplanes, no trucks, no cars, nothing.  it was very post-apocalyptic.  I drove about 12-15 miles on the interstate north of chicago near the state line and I dont think I saw but 1-2 cars the whole drive.

#28 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33294 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:08 AM

There have been people remembering the kind of day that it was too and I feel like it was the same in NY as it was here in Chicago... sunny, super bright, blue sky, warmish.  My kids were young and I remember going and picking them up early just because.  My wife was traveling and I wanted my kids with me.    

#29 Dave

Dave

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29738 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:11 AM

well, waving a flag and cheering every time you saw a detonation was probably in poor taste.

Heh, I was keeping a low profile but Americans tent to stand out

There have been people remembering the kind of day that it was too and I feel like it was the same in NY as it was here in Chicago... sunny, super bright, blue sky, warmish.  

It was a beautiful, cloudless, high pressure day here.

#30 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16012 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:25 AM

yup, it was eerie 

i was working in the loop that day and the evac'd every building over 30 stories so I went to the train station and that was completely FECKED with people.  all trains were outbound, standing room only on the platforms and the trains.  I was lucky and grabbed a ride with a coworker who happened to have driven in that day.  outbound traffic was fecking awful.  what is typically a 2-ish hour commute in shit rush hour traffic turned into 4hrs.  by the time I got to my car at the office in the burbs (i was heading back there after a few meetings).  byt the time I got there and drove home the interstate was empty as feck all.  the interstates around chicago are NEVER empty like that.  no airplanes, no trucks, no cars, nothing.  it was very post-apocalyptic.  I drove about 12-15 miles on the interstate north of chicago near the state line and I dont think I saw but 1-2 cars the whole drive.

I was in one of those buildings that got evacuated.  Boss initially told us to get back to work, then the security guard came by and was pissed that we were still there.

They brought Metra trains into the downtown stations as fast as they could, loaded them up, and parked them on the tracks outside the city just to get people dispersed.  Took a long time to unfeck them all, took me over twice as long as usual to get home.

#31 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13397 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:14 AM

I was working in Downtown Boston, living in Central Square Cambridge a couple of miles away.  I left work, went to Jacob Wirth's restaurant  for some beers with lunch, then walked home instead of taking the subway.  My room mates picked up a bunch of different brands of bottled water, because he thought poisoning the water supply was the next step after flying planes into buildings.

#32 Zsasz

Zsasz

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39392 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:20 AM

I was working in Downtown Boston, living in Central Square Cambridge a couple of miles away.  I left work, went to Jacob Wirth's restaurant  for some beers with lunch, then walked home instead of taking the subway.  My room mates picked up a bunch of different brands of bottled water, because he thought poisoning the water supply was the next step after flying planes into buildings.

did you recommend distilled rain water?

#33 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23072 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:02 PM

I caught this last year for the first time.  It's along the same vein as what happened to my buddy... albeit with his wife who made him late, and not his daughter.

#34 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14711 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:06 PM

I happened to be doing a distribution feeder patrol that day.  The feeder I was patrolling went in and out of the Quabbin Resevoir.  Not a great place to be seeing it is the water supply for Boston.  I had no idea what was going on for hours since Barre MA does not have the best ( or any at that time) cell service.

#35 tjbsilv

tjbsilv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:03 PM

Eighteen years ago today, I was working in Washington DC. I was in a meeting when the first plane hit the WTC North tower. As I was leaving the meeting, someone mentioned that a plane had hit the WTC. We all assumed it was an accident, so we didn't think much about it. When we heard the second plane hit the South tower, we all knew it was an act of terrorism. Then the news came that the Pentagon had been targeted, and it became all too real. Rumors started flying around that the Capitol, White House, and other landmarks had been targeted. A sense of panic started gripping our office, and because the Internet service to our office building slowed to a crawl, it was difficult to get accurate information. There was one lady in our office who was panicking because her husband worked at the Pentagon, and she couldn't reach him by phone. The streets were gridlocked with traffic with everybody trying to get out of the city. We lived in Maryland at the time, and I rode the DC Metro in to work every day, which was shut down, so I was finally able to get a ride with a co-worker. The ride home, which usually takes 30 minutes, took two hours. When I finally got home, all the kids had been released from school, so they were home as well. By then, the extent of the death and destruction had sunk in. And we all prayed for the victims' families, for our President, and for our country.

If anything positive came out of this terrible event, it was that it brought our country together, if for only a brief period. There was a sense of unity in Washington DC...there were no Republicans or Democrats, only Americans who worked together to fight the enemy and to try to heal the nation. Sadly, this sense of unity was short lived, and now it seems that we are as divided as ever. But I will always remember that fateful day, and how it changed the course of America (and the world) forever.

#36 BeersBeers24/7

BeersBeers24/7

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5536 posts
  • LocationAshevegas!

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:12 PM

Dan and Jason Coffey (father and son) RIP peace guys, miss you every year.

#37 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21586 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:15 PM

I also seem to remember that baseball and football stopped for some amount of time. I went to a Arizona Cardinals - Bears game at Soldier Field with some buds and IIRC it was supposed to be a bye week but they played because everything was delayed a week... or something. It was weird. I just remember being at a Bears game that was among the first to be played after 9/11.

I was living in Cleveland. I went to the Giants game 10 days or so after. I think the games were canceled the Sunday after. I don't remember how they made up the missed game

#38 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15716 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:57 PM

Wife and I were on a remote island in the Phillipines where some folks had been taken hostage by muslim fundies a few years before, I've posted about it before.  

Anyhoo, most here have probably already seen this, but this is still really amazing to me.  The whole piece is well worth reading.  

9-1568163169.jpg

In the picture, he departs from this earth like an arrow. Although he has not chosen his fate, he appears to have, in his last instants of life, embraced it. If he were not falling, he might very well be flying. He appears relaxed, hurtling through the air. He appears comfortable in the grip of unimaginable motion. He does not appear intimidated by gravity's divine suction or by what awaits him.

#39 el Bordo

el Bordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationBako

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:11 PM

I was working in Liberty Texas and had the task of calling and getting updates from a bunch of drilling rigs. I remember the second one I called the guy told me ‘we’re under attack’ and I had no idea what was going on. Someone ran home and got a TV and brought it to our shop and we all stood in the break room for the whole day and watched a little 15” for the rest of the day.

My dad was working in Houston and got evacuated from the Enron tower and ended up at the Houston Zoo. He spent the whole day walking the empty zoo by himself. He still talks about that experience and for some reason it always gives me shivers. He was in the Air Force for 20+ years and he still struggles to talk about that day.

#40 el Bordo

el Bordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationBako

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:16 PM

Also, if you’ve never been to the 9/11 museum and memorial in NYC I can’t recommend it enough. Probably one of the most draining, emotional experiences I’ve had was touring it. Somber, quiet, everyone with tears in their eyes..... it’s amazingly well done and moving.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users