#1 Hodag

Hodag

Comptroller of Chili and Other Fine Bean-Free Foods

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8681 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:01 PM

I’m sure all of us remember where we were and exactly what we were doing 18 years ago. It’s always been a stoic day for me but teaching the history of what happened that day to kids who weren’t even alive then is surreal. While I can’t show footage of the impacts or the collapses, I can convey the horror and magnitude of the event. Most kids have seen those videos already anyway. It’s difficult some years to get the kids to believe me that those images are not CGI. I sure wish we all could live in a nation as unified and supportive as we all were to one another on 9/12/01. That is my wish for all of my Blueboard brothers and sisters. Peace be with you all on the 18th anniversary of 9/11. In particular, I hope Irish John has found some peace from that storm in his attic.

Attached Files

#2 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15589 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:16 AM

A few months before 9/11, I met Irish in NYC and went drinking with him for the afternoon. That day, we had a great time and became friends. When he found out I was building a kegerator, he sent me a dual tap setup for my birthday.

9/11 hit him hard. He spent many days down at the site helping. I lost contact with him after that. He just stopped responding to my emails. The last I heard from him was he was about to retire from the MTA and move to Pennsylvania.

Edited by DuncanDad, 11 September 2019 - 05:31 AM.

#3 Buzz Buzzard

Buzz Buzzard

Comptroller of Fanatical Political Expressionism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10802 posts
  • LocationHere, not there.

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:34 AM

We had just took ownership of fiduciary trust on the 94th through 97th floors in wtc2.
I was helping out in a project to merge our systems and on the phone with them when it hit.
Months passed, and folks who survived would still just lose it while chatting with them.
Many could not return to work.
We had a few dozen people from here at the st pete office there, not all came home.
To me it is soo much more than 9 11.
Sadness lingers.

Enjoy life amigos you never know what a day may bring.

#4 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33294 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:38 AM

Yeah, my wife was actually on a flight that morning which is weird because she travels rarely.  She was going to Houston and called when she landed and then there weren't flights for 3 days afterwards and it was really eerie to not hear planes in the sky.  

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14711 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:41 AM

Yeah, my wife was actually on a flight that morning which is weird because she travels rarely.  She was going to Houston and called when she landed and then there weren't flights for 3 days afterwards and it was really eerie to not hear planes in the sky.  

It really was.  The only planes I heard were from the air reserve base nearby.  When I would hear a plan I would stop and wonder what was up because it was so noticeable over those few days.

#6 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33294 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:49 AM

It really was.  The only planes I heard were from the air reserve base nearby.  When I would hear a plan I would stop and wonder what was up because it was so noticeable over those few days.

Right.  My wife ended up DRIVING home from Houston and on that Friday (I think 9/11 was a Tuesday) I was on the phone with my SIL and she said, "OH LISTEN... A PLANE!" ... flights had just resumed.  

#7 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77486 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:06 AM

Looking back on it, 9/11 has a bigger impact on my life than I probably realized.

I was in Charleston SC. Unemployed, but had just had a very promising interview with a software company that designs applications used by non-profits. I was supposed to be going in for my third and hopefully final interview the following week. This would have been my first "real job" in the industry and would have paid 40k or so.

After the planes hit on the 11th everything went to shit. I got a call from the company, canceling my interview because they'd decided to institute a hiring freeze as a result of the expected economic aftermath of 9/11.

They weren't the only ones. I ended up being unemployed for 8 months and finally had to accept a crappy tech support job for 9 bucks an hour. That set the stage for my next several jobs as I had to build my resume and I didn't end up reaching 40k income until 2009... 9/11 obviously wasn't the only reason but missing out on that job and the subsequent economic downturn really set me on a different trajectory I think.

#8 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39619 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:10 AM

It's been a journey. Posting for that moment of silence.

#9 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23072 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:16 AM

I had a friend that was supposed to be giving a presentation in one of the Towers at the time, but by a stroke of luck he was delayed and cancelled his meeting.  

I do remember the only planes in the air that week (or so) being the F-16s out of the ANG Base here in Madison.  I know it was quiet because our house at the time was under one of the 3 flight paths that they take to land in Madison.  Went to a Badger football game before flights resumed and it was the first time I sat in the upper deck and it was very noticeable that there were no planes.

#10 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32064 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:32 AM

Both towers struck by now, five minutes from Pentagon strike.

Half an hour until the collapses start.

69576582_384961718863849_103502453636752

#11 Zsasz

Zsasz

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39392 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:33 AM

what is that a picture of?  and why are there slider switches next to the times?

#12 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32064 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:35 AM

They're alarms someone set on their phone.

#13 Zsasz

Zsasz

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39392 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:36 AM

They're alarms someone set on their phone.

someone is really into remembering I guess.  I'm not sure I need/want that level of remembering.  thanks for the clarification.

#14 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33294 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:50 AM

I also seem to remember that baseball and football stopped for some amount of time.  I went to a Arizona Cardinals - Bears game at Soldier Field with some buds and IIRC it was supposed to be a bye week but they played because everything was delayed a week... or something.  It was weird.  I just remember being at a Bears game that was among the first to be played after 9/11.  

#15 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59726 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:53 AM

I also seem to remember that baseball and football stopped for some amount of time.  I went to a Arizona Cardinals - Bears game at Soldier Field with some buds and IIRC it was supposed to be a bye week but they played because everything was delayed a week... or something.  It was weird.  I just remember being at a Bears game that was among the first to be played after 9/11.  

prior to 9/11 the super bowl was always in January, its in Feb now.

#16 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8105 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:11 AM

Yeah, my wife was actually on a flight that morning which is weird because she travels rarely. She was going to Houston and called when she landed and then there weren't flights for 3 days afterwards and it was really eerie to not hear planes in the sky.

I was working at a airport as a mechanic at the time. It was very weird.
9/11 is basically why I didn't stay a A&P mechanic. Not many jobs after that.

#17 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33294 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:12 AM

prior to 9/11 the super bowl was always in January, its in Feb now.

I also remember that the Yankees were in Chicago playing the White Sox... and I'll never forget this:  A woman was there and sang God Bless America before the game which was on whatever day baseball resumed.  Man, she belted out that song and it gave you fecking goosebumps because she not only nailed the song but everyone was so emotional about 9/11.  Amazing.

Here.  She starts at 6:20...

#18 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7975 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:01 AM

as a friend said today, I miss the America that existed on 9/12.   Sure we were unified more by terror more than compassion (in a way, i'm not going to debate it).  But we were unified more than any other time in my life that I can remember.

#19 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59726 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:03 AM

as a friend said today, I miss the America that existed on 9/12.   Sure we were unified more by terror more than compassion (in a way, i'm not going to debate it).  But we were unified more than any other time in my life that I can remember.

agreed, I think there is no debate to be had either.  it is a simple fact.

#20 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33294 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:06 AM

agreed, I think there is no debate to be had either.  it is a simple fact.

I was thinking the same thing and it was very powerful. Some of that may have been a little coercion and we know that our unified feeling led the way for wars but I agree that it was a good feeling for everyone to be on the same side.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users