#1 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42156 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:57 PM

I know this thread title made a few people shudder.

I am utterly shocked that they can sell this program with a straight face.  It is pure garbage.  We've only been using it for 6 weeks and I've wasted a solid 10 hours just waiting for screens to load.  I do not understand why it needs to communicate with the server every time I make any change.  Can't it at least wait until I'm done putting in an entire expense before updating?  Even if it is communicating with every change I still can't explain how long it takes.  It's easily 10x as long as it would take if the speed was the same as a typical desktop program.  Taking 2-3 minutes to update essentially 4-5 cells is just absurd.  Uploading receipts and itemizing is just hell.  This is what my hell would be.

#2 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59726 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:02 PM

We use that for travel expenses, yes it sucks, huge PITA to use

#3 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22014 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:24 PM

Sounds like it has not changed much. I worked for a international company and corporate forced it on our division as a guinea pig. We are talking 20 years ago. It was a nightmare back then. Everything was so cryptic. Fill out your timesheet and it was run TY032-1. (or something like that)

It was amazing how many times I heard sentences that started with "We can't do that because SAP . . . . " It was amazing how much SAP dominated or stalled or was hurdle to everything we did.

#4 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

Comptroller of ChopSticks & Ghey Bach Chow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5933 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:55 AM

We use it for travel expenses. Luckily I only travel for work around 1, 2 times a year.

#5 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15589 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:23 AM

I have an admin do my expense reports.

#6 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10631 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 10 September 2019 - 04:00 AM

I have an admin do my expense reports.

It makes me laugh when I think about the insane amount of time that it takes to properly do expense reports, and how much my company pays for reps and managers to do their own, rather than hiring an admin for these kinds of tasks

#7 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105032 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 10 September 2019 - 04:19 AM

Yep. Awful. And I thought it was the worst crap imaginable, being in utter shock that it could be marketed as a product. Until I started with a company that used "Workday."

#8 DieselGopher

DieselGopher

Executive Director of Whatnot and what not

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11044 posts
  • Locationhanging around

Posted 10 September 2019 - 04:38 AM

I have Concur for travel expenses, and Workday for HR. Both are total garbage. I also have 2 different Oracle systems, ADP, Fileshare, Adaptive, Projectplace, Windchill, Veeva, K2, PWA, and Basware, I know I’m forgetting others.

#9 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19602 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 10 September 2019 - 04:39 AM

I don't miss the corporate world one friggin bit.  

#10 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105032 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 10 September 2019 - 04:40 AM

Lol

#11 dondewey

dondewey

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1804 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:01 AM

I almost smashed my computer once because of this program. Felt the same pain you did, got some error, went to ask someone about it, and then it timed out. That expense report cost my company at least a hundred bucks for me to fill out.

In my new company I fill in a spreadsheet and staple it to my receipts. Old school, but pretty easy.

#12 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42156 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:40 AM

My expense report for last week took 4+ hours.  Had I simply manually filled in the same information into a spreadsheet it would have taken less than 30 minutes, maybe a few more for uploading receipts.  I genuinely can't express how shocked I am at how horribly this works (honestly, it's about the same as the old system).  I would have some sympathy if this was a new challenge that was being undertaken by the business process world but this has been going on for 20 years, if not more, and it does not seem to have gotten any better.  Maybe worse.  

The most confusing thing is that company management hasn't forced better competition.  With all the effort that large companies put into cost cutting and efficiency measures this would seem like ultimate low hanging fruit to demand better from your suppliers.  Not only is it obviously inefficient but the people who travel a lot and waste time with this garbage are generally the highest paid people.  A huge amount of money and opportunity is going out the door on expense systems that could be designed better by a couple of tech savvy HS students.  It makes you wonder if these systems are purposely bad with the idea that they would prevent frivolous spending.  I'm so confused by the lack of effort put into the interface that it's hard to imagine that the goal of the design was to make it usable, I need another explanation.

#13 DieselGopher

DieselGopher

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11044 posts
  • Locationhanging around

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:50 AM

I have Concur for travel expenses, and Workday for HR. Both are total garbage. I also have 2 different Oracle systems, ADP, Fileshare, Filebound, Sharefile, Adaptive, Projectplace, Windchill, Veeva, K2, PWA, and Basware, I know I’m forgetting others.

Fixed :stabby:

#14 Glacies

Glacies

Comptroller of Schwanz Hate

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4860 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:51 AM

I only use it for booking flights, hotels and rental cars. Company card for the rest. I kind of like it, although I've had better luck searching flights with google.

#15 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42156 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:58 AM

I only use it for booking flights, hotels and rental cars. Company card for the rest. I kind of like it, although I've had better luck searching flights with google.

I'm specifically referring to the expense reporting function.  The booking utility is also shitty, but not as shitty.  I search for what flights I want on Google Flights then I go into the Concur booking tool and try to figure out how to game the search engine for it to return the flight it took me 5 seconds to find on Google Flights.  It usually take several tries to get the search parameters right to find the flights.  I'm getting better at it, my go-to strategy is to restrict the connecting airports to only the connecting airport that my preferred flight has.  That will usually do it if restricting the dates and times doesn't bring it up.

Edited by JKor, 10 September 2019 - 05:59 AM.

#16 DieselGopher

DieselGopher

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11044 posts
  • Locationhanging around

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:02 AM

I'm specifically referring to the expense reporting function. The booking utility is also shitty, but not as shitty. I search for what flights I want on Google Flights then I go into the Concur booking tool and try to figure out how to game the search engine for it to return the flight it took me 5 seconds to find on Google Flights. It usually take several tries to get the search parameters right to find the flights. I'm getting better at it, my go-to strategy is to restrict the connecting airports to only the connecting airport that my preferred flight has. That will usually do it if restricting the dates and times doesn't bring it up.

I LOVE it when Concur warns me that the “lowest cost logical airfare” is a 13 hour, 2 layover ditty, instead of a 3 hour direct flight that costs $51 more...

#17 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59726 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:11 AM

I LOVE it when Concur warns me that the “lowest cost logical airfare” is a 13 hour, 2 layover ditty, instead of a 3 hour direct flight that costs $51 more...

i always fly direct, fvck layovers, fvck connecting flights and you can double fvck those in foreign countries

#18 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21586 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:23 AM

i always fly direct, fvck layovers, fvck connecting flights and you can double fvck those in foreign countries

living in the Chicago metro you have that option. I bet your options will be reduced once you move to Alabama.

#19 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77486 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:24 AM

Yep. Awful. And I thought it was the worst crap imaginable, being in utter shock that it could be marketed as a product. Until I started with a company that used "Workday."

Lol... we use Workday. It's truly awful.

#20 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33294 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:59 AM

I haven't worked with it.  Is this a situation where slow web speed would be the issue?  When we write something, we have to be acutely aware of "round trips" from the site to the server because it can delay things, no doubt.  We sometimes get our hardware people to make infrastructure mods to help but in the end it's up to us to do as much as possible without having to check back to the server... the server could be anywhere and every connection between the user and the server is in question. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users