Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21586 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:44 AM

If I made the rules:

- everyone without a carry on boards first
- everyone with only 1 small carry on, which fits underneath the seat, gets on next.
- everyone else who needs an overhead bin for their shit gets on last.

Deplaning - reverse order. If you need shit from the overhead bin, sit your ass down until the others get off.

might would for boarding but getting off you are going to have window seats trying to climb over middle and isle

#42 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21586 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:46 AM

http://www.businessi...to-front-2015-5

According to this random / no assigned seats is the fastest boarding. I would have thought back to front but that is the slowest.

Window, middle, isle woul make people traveling together upset

#43 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39619 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:51 AM

There should be an allowance for at least 1 checked bag per ticket. No bullshit "eco basic super bare bones no seat, no refund no baggage, no carry-on" tickets. Just a seat in an appropriate part of the plane (priced accordingly if that aisle seat can grab an extra $10) and the standard single bag plus personal item.

The current boarding process is fine. People are the ones making it weird.  The only reason to be on that plane first should be because you're in first class and thirsty. 

For deplaning, there should be two exits. Forward and rear.  

#44 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13397 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:36 AM

I never check bags if I can avoid it.  It takes too much time getting to baggage claim and waiting for bags.  I'm not going to pay extra to check a bag in order to waste more of my time.

And if you are one of those people who complains about coach but will never pay to upgrade to economy comfort or business class, well, you're exactly the reason the airlines skimp so much on the low-price seats.  You chose a bare bones experience for minimum cost, don't complain when that's what you get.

The only thing that really bother me about air travel is the people who complain to the gate agent about flight delays, as though random Joe passenger talking to a low-wage gate agent is going to get a rational company to move a $100 million aircraft.  Quit your bitching, you have no power or control in this situation.  The only result of screaming at gate agents is making life less pleasant for other people.

#45 Anagallis arvensis

Anagallis arvensis

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32658 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:40 AM

Everything gets checked in with the Sky Cabbies when I get to the curb, I just take a ruck sack for phone, wallet, charger, etc

#46 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21586 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:51 AM

I think deplanning is ok, once they open the door. It seems like there is 5 minutes where everyone is standing there but not moving. Once you start moving most people are quick

#47 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42156 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:52 AM

I used to take around 80 flights a year. Airports and planes just don't bother me at all. I guess I've just seen it all and have learned to deal with whatever crap happens.

This.  It doesn't even register anymore.  I was on 7 flights last week alone.  I don't even need something to keep me busy on a flight I can literally just zone out for 2-3 hours.  After 3 hours it gets a little tough.

#48 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77486 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:45 AM

I think deplanning is ok, once they open the door. It seems like there is 5 minutes where everyone is standing there but not moving. Once you start moving most people are quick

I just have bad luck I guess. Every damn time, there's some guy who waits until everyone starts moving, then struggles to get his luggage out of the overhead bin and holds up everyone behind him for 5 minutes

#49 tjbsilv

tjbsilv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:57 AM

My wife and I have gotten in the habit of being the last to board, sometimes waiting until right before they close the gate. No standing in line waiting for slowpokes to cram their carry-ons into the overheads. We also try to get as close to the front as possible and get off the plane quick. We have learned to travel light, too...backpack-sized bags that fit under the seats (though we'll put them in the overheads if there's room). Many airlines are now charging for carry-ons, but under the seat bags are still free.

#50 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7444 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:05 PM

I never check bags if I can avoid it.  It takes too much time getting to baggage claim and waiting for bags.  I'm not going to pay extra to check a bag in order to waste more of my time.

And if you are one of those people who complains about coach but will never pay to upgrade to economy comfort or business class, well, you're exactly the reason the airlines skimp so much on the low-price seats.  You chose a bare bones experience for minimum cost, don't complain when that's what you get.

The only thing that really bother me about air travel is the people who complain to the gate agent about flight delays, as though random Joe passenger talking to a low-wage gate agent is going to get a rational company to move a $100 million aircraft.  Quit your bitching, you have no power or control in this situation.  The only result of screaming at gate agents is making life less pleasant for other people.

I fly 99% Delta.  I think I've only flown another airline once in the last 5 years or so.  

In any case.  I have a delta credit card that makes the bags free for me and everyone on my itinerary as long as I buy with it.  I also almost always fly Comfort +.  It's a bit more $ than standard coach, usually 7-10%, but worth it to get off faster, a bit more leg room and there is always room for a carry on if you are taking one.  Free drinks too on flights that are long enough. 

#51 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22014 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:53 PM

I pack a CPAP. Checked baggage is pretty much mandatory. As I said before, going through hoops to avoid checked baggage is dumb. It is fairly quick and painless these days.

#52 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42156 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:05 PM

As I said before, going through hoops to avoid checked baggage is dumb. It is fairly quick and painless these days.

I find it to be a PITA. Although i get to pre-board so i never have to fight over overhead space.

#53 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15589 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 10 September 2019 - 04:33 PM

Everything gets checked in with the Sky Cabbies when I get to the curb, I just take a ruck sack for phone, wallet, charger, etc

Yep.

Here's a 5er my good man and, thank you.

I just hand them my bag and stroll through the airport without tugging a bag behind me.

TSA Pre-Check- everything goes into a bin or one of little hat sized bowls. No waiting to see if you get the "extra special touch".

#54 Ineedacatscan

Ineedacatscan

Comptroller of BAW!!!1!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3671 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:13 PM

I go out of my way to make flying easy.

Show up early
Pre-Check
Priority boarding

I’m not going to set myself up for a stressful trip. I’m also not going to dwell on every little inconvenience.

#55 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39619 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:39 PM

Eye openers
Uber
Check bag
$5 to watch me touch muh toes
Bar
Bar
Bar
Gate
Jail

#56 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1120 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:29 AM

I average 60-70 flights a year. As soon a you learn that everybody else is more important than you and late for wherever they are going air travel becomes much more enjoyable.

#57 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15589 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:07 PM

I average 60-70 flights a year. As soon a you learn that everybody else is more important than you and late for wherever they are going air travel becomes much more enjoyable.

Dat man knows some truth.

I never get into a hurry to get onto the plane. No reason to, (see: checked bag). We will all get to the gate at the same time.

I never get into a hurry to get off the plane. No reason to. I planned on being where I need to go early.

I dress in layers because even in the summer, you don't know if it's going to be blazing hot on the plane or hanging meat in the aisles as we fly. I don't depend on inflight entertainment. I carry my own on my iPad. I carry my own snacks and fill my water bottle before getting on the plane.

If they want to give me a half can of soda and a half sized bag of trail mix while I watch a movie, fine. I don't get bent out of shape if we run into turbulence and they can't water and feed me.

#58 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10631 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:09 AM

I carry my laptop backpack. Everything else gets checked. I can’t recall a time when waiting for baggage was a huge deal.

I don’t want to be dragging another bag around the airport, especially if I have a layover or plan to eat somewhere or hang at the bar

I’m a big dude. Being on a plane is uncomfortable all around. I hate it. But it’s better than the wear on me of a 7 hour drive after a long day of meetings

Edited by Howie, 12 September 2019 - 08:11 AM.

#59 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7444 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:37 AM

But it’s better than the wear on me of a 7 hour drive after a long day of meetings

This is often where I find myself.  

It's an Active vs Passive travel.  If I'm driving, I arrive tired after a long drive.  Flying, even a similar amount of elapsed time, and I arrive good to go. 

#60 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77486 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:39 AM

I'm the opposite. Flying drains the #### out of me, due to being in close proximity with assloads of people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users