DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18554 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 02 September 2019 - 05:39 PM

Help me out here.

Want to keep the budget under a grand, but will spend more if the return is there.

Don't want  a job site saw but something I can move around the shop, (16X16 with work benches). Need the muscle to cut though some tough wood, oak/maple and the like.

Rip size 30 inch+ would be great.

#2 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95556 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 05:41 PM

Within budget: Grizzly

Dream saw: SawStop

#3 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24372 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 02 September 2019 - 05:48 PM

You can often find older craftsman belt drive, cast iron tops for quite a reasonable price.

#4 maddog

maddog

Comptroller of badogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8532 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 06:01 PM

110V, I presume?

#5 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18554 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 02 September 2019 - 06:12 PM

110V, I presume?

111, Whatever it takes.

#6 maddog

maddog

Comptroller of badogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8532 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 06:51 PM

That Grizzly 10" 1 3/4 HP gets mixed reviews, mostly centered on quality control. For $1000, your money might be best spent used. There will be a lot of 1 3/4 or 2HP craftsman saws available cheap. I grew up with my dad's. They're good tools, especially with an upgraded fence and zero clearance insert. I routinely see them around here for <$200.

If you have a 220V line, the options open up. You can get a great powermatic/jet/unisaw for <$1000. There aren't that many parts that wear out on these saws. You'll need to learn to set it up, but you'd need to do that on a new saw, too. Some of the older unisaws run on 110v (1.5hp, I think).

You'll not get a sawstop for under a grand unless you get really, really lucky, I think.

A recent informative post on lumberjocks......

https://www.lumberjo...m/topics/305972

#7 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15289 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 07:06 PM

Buy cheap used or buy a Sawstop. If you see yourself still working with wood in 5 years, just buy a Sawstop and never look back. If you’re not sure, then spend as little money as possible to get by.

Sounds like a Sawstop contractor saw with mobile base and the 36” fence would fit your needs.

Yes, it’s more expensive, but it’s a top end tool that will hold its value. Also consider how your income would be affected without the full use of all 10 digits. That’s not even factoring in the medical bills.

#8 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

Comptroller of BigBossMan

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14013 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 02 September 2019 - 08:46 PM

+1 for a used Grizzly. I love mine. I wired a 220 outet from my panel without too much difficulty.

#9 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56127 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 03 September 2019 - 01:43 AM

Aside from the safety issue, are the SawStop saws really that much better than the cheaper options?

#10 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24372 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 03 September 2019 - 04:42 AM

No, just a quality saw with a safety.

#11 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15289 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 05:07 AM

Aside from the safety issue, are the SawStop saws really that much better than the cheaper options?

I'd say they are in the top tier of equipment in terms of design/features, quality, and support. They also only seem to have fewer models, which can make direct comparisons more difficult.

I've got some strong opinions on this where if you're laying out the money for a new saw, you should get the one of the best and safest. It's likely to be your most used power tool and it's really not that much money in the big picture. 

If you're just looking for a jobsite saw, Sawstop sells one, but I wasn't super impressed by it. I'd probably just saw go with a used one on Facebook. I liked my old Bosch. 

If you can't swing the money for a higher end contractor/hybrid or cabinet saw, then I say look for old iron. And old Unisaw or Powermatic with a good fence, for example.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16796 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 03 September 2019 - 05:08 AM

I bought a Steel City hybrid cabinet saw from craigslist a few years back and they are worth a look.  They are no longer made so it would have to be used.

#13 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24770 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 05:08 AM

I bet something like a ryobi 10" from home depot for less than $150 with a better blade on it is more than capable of doing anything you ever need to do.

#14 maddog

maddog

Comptroller of badogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8532 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 05:15 AM

I bought a Steel City hybrid cabinet saw from craigslist a few years back and they are worth a look.  They are no longer made so it would have to be used.

Do you have the granite-topped model? I have the one Steel City made for Craftsman. I like the saw a lot, although it's just a hair underpowered for a hybrid saw.

#15 maddog

maddog

Comptroller of badogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8532 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 05:22 AM

If you're just looking for a jobsite saw, Sawstop sells one, but I wasn't super impressed by it. I'd probably just saw go with a used one on Facebook. I liked my old Bosch. 

If you can't swing the money for a higher end contractor/hybrid or cabinet saw, then I say look for old iron. And old Unisaw or Powermatic with a good fence, for example.

I'd also really think about what you plan to do with it and buy power accordingly. My experience is that a 2hp saw should cut up to 2" stock reasonably comfortably. If you plan to use thicker stock, you'll want more saw.

I'm planning a bed in which I'd like to cut some posts from 12/4 lumber. I can't rip that on my table saw, even with multiple passes. I can get around it with laminating, but it'd be nice to be able to make these from solid stock.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16796 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:41 AM

Do you have the granite-topped model? I have the one Steel City made for Craftsman. I like the saw a lot, although it's just a hair underpowered for a hybrid saw.

No, mine has a cast iron top.  Looks like this 

February-2007_Page_13_Image_0001.jpg

#17 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95556 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:45 AM

I bet something like a ryobi 10" from home depot for less than $150 with a better blade on it is more than capable of doing anything you ever need to do.

For hobbyists this seems likely. I have a DeWalt jobsite saw that does what I need.

That being said, the table saw is really the only shop tool I have that scares me, so a SawStop would be really nice to have.

#18 maddog

maddog

Comptroller of badogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8532 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 07:02 AM

He's replacing a saw that's as good as the Ryobi at least in part because it's underpowered.

That info is gleaned from an earlier thread.

#19 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24770 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 11:59 AM

He's replacing a saw that's as good as the Ryobi at least in part because it's underpowered.

That info is gleaned from an earlier thread.

Gotcha..I guess I missed the other thread.

#20 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18554 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:16 PM

The current saw I have is under powered for sure. I don't mean I'm cutting 8/4 hard maple everyday but, I want something that's going to be accurate, safe and powerful enough to cut the stuff I want to cut.

I like the specs and price of the Grizzly 771Z.

I looked at Craigs list and looked at some old steel saws. You're right, I can get something for 150-250 bucks. Here's a nice Delta belt driven saw for 550 OBO.

https://atlanta.crai...6968298155.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PHBT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users