#1 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27509 posts
  • LocationKC - Kansas side

Posted 26 August 2019 - 05:08 PM

Bought a 47" 1/2011 and it's showing its age.  Nice pic but not what it used to be.  Bought this bare bone.  I did not want a smart tv and I think this one isn't.  Anyway it'll show up in a couple days.

https://www.walmart....50CV-U/48874705

#2 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4978 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 August 2019 - 05:33 PM

#3 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77409 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 05:37 PM

Whoa! There are basically (now) three people I know who remember Ned's Atomic Dustbin. You... and I'm one of them and I haven't seen the other since high school. :cheers:

Edited by the_stain, 26 August 2019 - 05:37 PM.

#4 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21579 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 26 August 2019 - 06:09 PM

Whoa! There are basically (now) three people I know who remember Ned's Atomic Dustbin. You... and I'm one of them and I haven't seen the other since high school. :cheers:

and all of the ea sports NCAA football fans

#5 Buzz Buzzard

Buzz Buzzard

Comptroller of Fanatical Political Expressionism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10764 posts
  • LocationHere, not there.

Posted 27 August 2019 - 03:43 AM

Amazing how cheap for a 4k 65 incher.

#6 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42101 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 27 August 2019 - 03:59 AM

Bought a 47" 1/2011 and it's showing its age.  Nice pic but not what it used to be.  Bought this bare bone.  I did not want a smart tv and I think this one isn't.  Anyway it'll show up in a couple days.

https://www.walmart....50CV-U/48874705

Any reason to avoid a smart tv?  I don't think they even charge a premium for that feature anymore.

#7 Buzz Buzzard

Buzz Buzzard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10764 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 04:01 AM

Add roku, its smrt.
Bargain smart is very limited.
I've got one, straight to roku

#8 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42101 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 27 August 2019 - 04:02 AM

Yeah, I use a fire stick, so the "smart" function on my TV is unused but if I got a deal on a TV i wouldn't care whether it was "smart" or not.

#9 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8096 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 27 August 2019 - 04:18 AM

Amazing how cheap for a 4k 65 incher.

That's what I was thinking. I'm still rocking this 55" I bought in 2006 for $2500ish.

#10 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27509 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 04:33 AM

Any reason to avoid a smart tv?  I don't think they even charge a premium for that feature anymore.

Already have a roku - don't want to mess with smart function

#11 Buzz Buzzard

Buzz Buzzard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10764 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 04:59 AM

My 1080 65r cost me 1k.
:(

#12 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33275 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 05:25 AM

Love me some Ned's Atomic Dustbin.

#13 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33275 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 05:30 AM

As for the TV, it's amazing. My first flatscreen was a 50" Samsung Plasma that was $2000 and that was in 2006 when there wasn't even that much HD content. To get a 65" 4k TV now for $400 is unreal. Also, I have Vizios, an LG and a Samsung. The LG and Samsung are better than the Vizios but you can't really tell unless you're a TV snob. When you're in the store and a Sceptre is next to a Samsung you can maybe tell but when the Sceptre is in your house it won't be next to the Samsung anymore! :lol:

#14 Zsasz

Zsasz

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39346 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 August 2019 - 05:38 AM

Already have a roku - don't want to mess with smart function

Just don't use it. You'll likely not save any money picking from the two TV's left that don't have smart features.

#15 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27509 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 05:54 AM

Just don't use it. You'll likely not save any money picking from the two TV's left that don't have smart features.

I'm saving my sanity.  The wife would eventually mess it up and not be able to fix it

#16 Car ChuckRam

Car ChuckRam

Rami!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8090 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 06:01 AM

God Fodder is a fantastic record. It’s in my top 3 pop albums of the 90’s that everybody should have listened to, but didn’t. The other two are International Pop Overthrow by Material Issue, and Exile in Guyville by Liz Phair.

OK, that last one, everybody listened to. That record is a fecking stunner, and belongs in every collection.

As far as TVs go, I have a 55 inch Costco something or other that I think is smart capable. I just know it has a doojobby that I can plug my Apple TV in, and bingo bango, I can watch my IPad.

#17 Zsasz

Zsasz

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39346 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 August 2019 - 06:15 AM

I'm saving my sanity. The wife would eventually mess it up and not be able to fix it

Don't connect the tv to the internet and she won't be able to do much.

#18 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33275 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 06:32 AM

...and Exile in Guyville by Liz Phair.

OK, that last one, everybody listened to. That record is a fecking stunner, and belongs in every collection.

I corrected a wrong this summer by catching Liz Phair's show up at Milwaukee Summerfest. She's still got it. Also, I was perusing my music library recently and played a bunch of stuff from that Material Issue release. Really good stuff.

#19 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4978 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 27 August 2019 - 06:45 AM

I corrected a wrong this summer by catching Liz Phair's show up at Milwaukee Summerfest. She's still got it. Also, I was perusing my music library recently and played a bunch of stuff from that Material Issue release. Really good stuff.

It's a major shame that Jim Ellison committed suicide, they were a great band. I wanted to hear way more out of them.
Luz Phair is a favorite, but somewhere mid career she took vouce lessons and actually learned to sing. I like her prior stuff better, I thought one of her best qualities was that she brought this awkward girl persona to her music, and her singing kind of highlighted that.

#20 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42101 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 27 August 2019 - 07:16 AM

As for the TV, it's amazing. My first flatscreen was a 50" Samsung Plasma that was $2000 and that was in 2006 when there wasn't even that much HD content. To get a 65" 4k TV now for $400 is unreal. Also, I have Vizios, an LG and a Samsung. The LG and Samsung are better than the Vizios but you can't really tell unless you're a TV snob. When you're in the store and a Sceptre is next to a Samsung you can maybe tell but when the Sceptre is in your house it won't be next to the Samsung anymore! :lol:

I stood in line for hours on black friday 2007 to get a 40" flat screen TV for $800.  Not much more than 10 years later you couldn't give away a 40" flat screen TV.  I'll probably pick up a new TV in not too long.  I figure I;ll probably just get the biggest thing I can get for about 2 grand.  Looks like that's ~85" now.  Might be 100" by the time I buy a TV.  How do you move a 100" TV?

Looks like Sony already has a 98" on sale.  Only $70,000.   :lol:

https://www.sony.com.../xbr-z9g-series

No worries, it'll be $1500 in like 2 years.

Edited by JKor, 27 August 2019 - 07:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users