32 replies to this topic

#1 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79497 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:18 AM

Discuss. Pros/cons/differences? Kitchen, hallways, and living room.

#2 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61323 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:22 AM

i have pre-finished wood, my brother has wood look lino tile in his basement.  in a basement the tile is nice, in a laundry room, entry way, good stuff.  but wood is wood and will always look/feel better.

#3 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:22 AM

What kind of look alike LVT or stone based tile?

#4 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79497 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:25 AM

What kind of look alike LVT or stone based tile?

thinking stone/porcelain

#5 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22545 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:33 AM

We put dark hardwood floor through out the house. Almost black woven bamboo. You have to love the color to install it. Scratches stick out. Even day to day use will show smudge/scuff marks. You can mopbuff them away no problem. But they come back within a day. It is high maintenance. And dust shows up much easier.

Lighter is easier for hardwood floors.

Any place with water, tile is the only choice I trust. I know they say some laminate is water proof. I trust ceramics tile and grout.

Ceramic tile that looks like wood is pretty good considering. I would go with not trying to fool people and get tile that looks like tile, with a good color combination.

#6 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79497 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:38 AM

Yeah, with two dogs, scratches on the hardwood are a concern. Ditto on water in the kitchen, that's what got me looking at tile. Friends of ours had their bathroom done in the "wood planks" tile and it looks really nice.

#7 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23359 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:44 AM

We are in the process of putting a vinyl plank in the first floor.  Very durable and is not supposed to scratch from the dog nails.  Looks fantastic.  Much better than the Pergo style in the past.  All synthetic material so it wont get damaged by any water, which was a problem with Pergo.

We got ours at Lumber Liquidators.

#8 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79497 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:50 AM

We have Pergo in the kitchen now but it's a type that is allegedly water resistant. It has held up pretty well but I would like to get rid of carpet elsewhere and would like to get something better for the kitchen.

My one concern is that under the laminate is linoleum and that's not coming up so if we go with tile, we'll likely need to add a substrate which is going to raise the floor height.

#9 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23359 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:56 AM

We have Pergo in the kitchen now but it's a type that is allegedly water resistant. It has held up pretty well but I would like to get rid of carpet elsewhere and would like to get something better for the kitchen.

My one concern is that under the laminate is linoleum and that's not coming up so if we go with tile, we'll likely need to add a substrate which is going to raise the floor height.

You will need to add another sub anyways if you put tile in.  The linoleum should be able to stay with the planking.  You are going to put a pad down anyways and it is a floating floor.  You aren't going to glue it down.  Shouldn't be a problem, but I'd discuss it with the sales person and see what they recommend.  

I'd talk to a flooring place like Lumber Liquidators or some other local guy.  I wouldn't ask for advice at Home Depot or Lowes.

#10 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34782 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:58 AM

Here's a thought:  When tile starts to show its age (chipping, cracks, problems with the grout, etc), it looks like shit.  But when wood floors start to age a bit, I feel like it gives them character.  Obviously it depends on the wear and damage (a huge scratch or gouge is NOT character) but distressed/reclaimed/restored wood is all the rage.  We have a good amount of porcelain tile in our house and also natural wood.  In our master bath we did wood-looking tile.  It's fine but I'm not head over heels about it.  

Here's the "wood tile" my wife chose:

zz-bathroomfloor.jpg

#11 TxBrewer

TxBrewer

CrAp Czar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19843 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:07 AM

We did the kitchen and dining area in the old house in the wood look tile and really liked the results.  If I did another space where water might be a possibility I would do it again.

14225507_10210535904301939_7393364847091

#12 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79497 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:45 AM

We are in the process of putting a vinyl plank in the first floor. Very durable and is not supposed to scratch from the dog nails. Looks fantastic. Much better than the Pergo style in the past. All synthetic material so it wont get damaged by any water, which was a problem with Pergo.

We got ours at Lumber Liquidators.

Did you go with CoreLuxe? Or Tranquility?

#13 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23359 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:52 AM

Coreluxe.  Pretty certain it was this exact model.  

https://www.lumberli...VPRCP7/10043209

Here are a couple of pics.

67277054_10216348479038488_9198582293076

67183151_10216348479718505_7231921819119

#14 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17199 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:53 AM

Yeah, with two dogs, scratches on the hardwood are a concern. Ditto on water in the kitchen, that's what got me looking at tile. Friends of ours had their bathroom done in the "wood planks" tile and it looks really nice.

We just had our master bath redone and that's what we used. Looks great!

#15 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23359 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:55 AM

An added bonus for my household is that this is a floor my son can put his tap dancing shoes on and practice.  Yup... he knows how to tap dance.

#16 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61323 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:58 AM

every man does once he starts dating......  :troll:

#17 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79497 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:15 PM

Coreluxe. Pretty certain it was this exact model.

https://www.lumberli...VPRCP7/10043209

Here are a couple of pics.

67277054_10216348479038488_9198582293076

67183151_10216348479718505_7231921819119

Looks nice! Did you DIY it?

#18 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23359 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:27 PM

Looks nice! Did you DIY it?

We split the work.  We took out the existing carpeting and padding and prepared the floor.  We used the installers to put it in.  They had scheduled 2 days for the 2 rooms, but because we did such a great job on the prep work, they were done in under 4 hours.  Would have been done in under 3, but they needed to go back to the store for one more box.

Between my wife's cancer treatments, work and other obligations, having them do it was worth it.  Would have taken us at least one day, but probably would have spilled into two.  They put a grey silicone caulk in between the planks and wherever you see brick.  It looks fantastic.

#19 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79497 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:36 PM

Cool. We would probably do similar in terms of prep. This may be something I put off until early next year but I'm exploring options.

#20 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23359 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 15 August 2019 - 01:06 PM

I say do it now and enjoy it through the winter.  I'll tell you, it give the room a more comfortable feel to it than the carpet we had.  

We have to put off plans to do the kitchen right now until some point next year because we had work that we HAD to do in the backyard to take care of some drainage issues.  Unfortunately, it meant ripping out the patio and we are putting in a deck instead, which is going to be huge... and awesome looking... but with huge and awesome comes $$$ that was supposed to be for the kitchen remodel.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users