Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:41 AM

https://www.yahoo.co...-202405714.html

Man dies from a taco eating contest. Seems in poor taste to continue on with the competition this Saturday.

#2 SnottS

SnottS

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32434 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:47 AM

I think the taco truck thrown down(an annual event/festival) and the taco eating contests are 2 separate events... Now you’ll just have to sign a waiver at every roach coach b4,you chow down

Edited by Biker Faux, 15 August 2019 - 06:47 AM.

#3 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19491 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:48 AM

Man, that's as unfortunate as what just happened last weekend here.  Spartan race at Snowmass.  Guy is 50, and in super shape.  His team is in first. He collapses and dies on the last obstacle.  

#4 BobG

BobG

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1175 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:49 AM

What a great way to go.

#5 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:51 AM

I think the taco truck thrown down(an annual event/festival) and the taco eating contests are 2 separate events... Now you’ll just have to sign a waiver at every roach coach b4,you chow down

Ah!  That wasn't entirely clear.  I had assumed that they were holding a series of these contests to advance a number of participants to a "championship" of sorts.   

#6 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3832 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:54 AM

Heard on the radio they cancelled the world championship this coming weekend.
Seems to me that they should go ahead with it, maybe actually switch up things a tad and have paramedics on standby and a preststated distress signal but why make everyone who managed to get this far lose their shot at world champion because one contestant choked out?

#7 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76815 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:01 AM

The autopsy will be important, to determine whether he died from a taco eating contest, or just died after one.

#8 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:58 AM

The autopsy will be important, to determine whether he died from a taco eating contest, or just died after one.

The article mentioned they were performing the Heimlich Maneuver and then CPR.  Choking can indeed lead to cardiac arrest.

[Side Note:  I once had an internship with a special interest group and his daughter, Elisabeth Heimlich, was an intern at another special interest group right next door.  She drove a Volkswagen Rabbit with the license plate "MANUVR".  The other guy in the office would go back and forth from the Capitol Building in Montana throughout the day.  The streets were narrow and her car was easy to spot.  Every time we saw her coming, we'd make the choking sign.]

#9 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21380 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:13 AM

Heard on the radio they cancelled the world championship this coming weekend.
Seems to me that they should go ahead with it, maybe actually switch up things a tad and have paramedics on standby and a preststated distress signal but why make everyone who managed to get this far lose their shot at world champion because one contestant choked out?

it is marketing and PR, the decision has very little to do with who made it this far. Are they going to take a or hit if they continue?

I think I read somewhere that the final is sanctioned by one of the food eating leagues while the earlier events were not. Medical training might be better. But there might also be contract issues with canceling the finals

#10 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39300 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:50 AM

A dorthraki taco eating competition without at least 3 deaths is considered a dull affair.  

#11 badogg

badogg

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26707 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:06 AM

<cypresshill>

Here is something you can't understand

How Tacos just killed a man!!

</cypresshill>

Too soon? :unsure:

#12 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104385 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:58 PM

For Cypress Hill? About 20 years too late, actually.

#13 SnottS

SnottS

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32434 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 15 August 2019 - 01:15 PM

Ah! That wasn't entirely clear. I had assumed that they were holding a series of these contests to advance a number of participants to a "championship" of sorts.

Yeah it was kinda phrased weirdly...

He wouldn’t have died if he were a Mexican...

:sarcasm:

#14 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 15 August 2019 - 03:29 PM

Yeah it was kinda phrased weirdly...

He wouldn’t have died if he were a Mexican...

:sarcasm:

Well... I'd actually say he was a poor excuse for a human being if he didn't know how to eat a taco really fast without dying.  Mexican... Asian... Caucasian... these are things you should just be able to do.  

I miss a good taco from a Taqueria.  Best one in town when we lived out there was across the street from the high school.  Never was there during lunch during the week, but I've got to think that they did a bang up business with any of the kids that could go off campus for lunch.

#15 SnottS

SnottS

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32434 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 16 August 2019 - 02:09 PM

When I worked in our Valley Division I primarily ate off taco trucks, and you could find them under shaded overpasses near freeway exits... Rincon Taurino @ San Fernando Mission/Laurel Canyon was a favorite... the best tacos al pastor around

Good cocktail de camerones as well

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users