6 replies to this topic

#1 maddog

maddog

Comptroller of badogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6971 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:27 AM

I'm going to replace the security light in front of the garage. What I'd like is a motion activated LED that can also be switched on so that motion control is bypassed. I've found no fixtures at my big box stores that allow you to do this. Surely this must exist?

#2 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3832 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:11 AM

Seems like there are a couple of the smart lights that integrate with a hub that have that ability but I don’t see them in a quick search. What about using a separate sensor and a two headed light? Wire one light through the switch and a constant hot on the other with motion control?
Or a smart bulb with app control bypassing the sensor so that if the switch is on motion control on one bulb and the other is on unless you use the app to turn it off.
Look at caseta, ring or Wemo and search around Samsung smart things forums.

#3 maddog

maddog

Comptroller of badogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6971 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:16 AM

That's a simpler idea than what I was thinking of. 

I was thinking of a light with separate motion controlled and dipole switches, but I'm not very good at that. ;)

#4 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4922 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:20 AM

I did it, but I opened up the fixture and added a second feed between the sensor and bulb. I pulled a blue switch leg in the pipe to a switch in the junction box. If the switch is on, the light gets power through the blue. If the switch is off, it uses the motion sensor.

#5 maddog

maddog

Comptroller of badogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6971 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:35 AM

Screw it. I'm going to put a motion activated light on the exterior wall and a switched low profile flood in the soffit.

#6 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1968 posts
  • LocationIndependence, MO

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:07 PM

I installed motion sensor fixtures several years back that I got at Costco. Dual flood light units. I put 16W LED (100W Equivalent) flood light bulbs in them. Installed one over the garage doors and one at the back door over my deck. They have a bypass feature built in. Just turn it on normally, and the sensor is active. Turn it off and back on within 3 seconds switches it on in manual mode. They weren't expensive fixtures...

Similar to this:

https://www.lowes.co...imer/1000215655

Edited by jimdkc, 17 August 2019 - 10:08 PM.

#7 Julius H Gardetto

Julius H Gardetto

Comptroller of Delusional Berkley Hippie Types

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21800 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 05:08 AM

Ring has a non camera light that will do this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users