47 replies to this topic

#1 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32905 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:37 PM

So I'm 54 and I know that my near vision needs help.  Turns out that my distant vision is 20/20 according to my exam today.  I got a prescription for a small correction for my near vision.  I have never had prescription glasses.  I have cheaters (1.25) that I use occasionally but not always.  I went and got the five free frames from Warby Parker to see the glasses and possibly have a pair made with my prescription.  Who has used them?  My wife has a few pairs from WP and seems to like them.  The place I went had a lot of Burberry, Armani, Prada, Coach, Dolce & Gabbana, Fendi, etc. and honestly, I don't want to spend what JKor spent on his Porsche for a freaking pair of glasses.  WP is supposed to be very good and decently priced.  Any other suggestions while I'm at this early point?  Cheers.

#2 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76815 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:38 PM

Zenni

#3 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19491 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:38 PM

Zenni

I recently posted a thread on this topic.  Would buy again!

#4 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32905 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:39 PM

Oh yeah, I remember this.  I'm going to search for that thread and then check them out.  Same kind of thing... they'll send you frames to try and then you send them back and they'll make your glasses and ship them out?  Thanks gang.  

#5 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76815 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:41 PM

They won't pre-send you frames, you upload a pic of yourself and try them on virtually. Dirt cheap tho.

#6 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32905 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:44 PM

They won't pre-send you frames, you upload a pic of yourself and try them on virtually. Dirt cheap tho.

Sincerely.  I see frames ranging from $19 to $45... I'm on their site now.  Sheesh.  What does a typical prescription end up costing if it's just a single correction (not a progressive/bifocal)?  Any feel for that?

#7 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41804 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:45 PM

I really should get checked again.  I left my glasses on a plane a few months ago and haven't replace them.  It was from a 2013 prescription.  I do need to squint to read small print at a long distance but it's rarely an issue.  I haven't really wished I had those glasses at any point in the last 6 months so it hasn't been a high priority to get them replaced.

Anyway, I've heard good things about Zenni from friends.  That would probably be my first stop for a new pair.

#8 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16703 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:54 PM

Sincerely. I see frames ranging from $19 to $45... I'm on their site now. Sheesh. What does a typical prescription end up costing if it's just a single correction (not a progressive/bifocal)? Any feel for that?

At Zenni your total price for single correction glasses would be $10-45 depending on your choice of frames.

#9 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32905 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:56 PM

At Zenni your total price for single correction glasses would be $10-45 depending on your choice of frames.

Wow.  That's insane.  There are things I don't mind paying a little more for but "fashionable" glasses is not one of them.  I wouldn't want my glasses to say WALMART on the side of them but I don't need Armani or Burberry either, no sir.  

#10 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19491 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:58 PM

Unless you’re a blind mofo like me :P ...they were still only$110.y last prescription in an eye store was around$400.

Edited by AspenLeif, 14 August 2019 - 12:58 PM.

#11 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16703 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:00 PM

I've ordered many pairs over the years. The higher prices frames are of good quality.

Unless you’re a blind mofo like me :P ...they were still only$110.y last prescription in an eye store was around$400.

My prescription is for progressives. Usually runs $60-75.

#12 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19491 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:04 PM

Yeah, I had a strong script and did progressives too. The only thing I wish I would have done different. And it might only be because I’m so blind. Is I could choose my focal point at like 10ft or 25ft or further (don’t remember the exact distances) and I chose the farthest out. Should have chose middle or even 10ft. I only wear them inside and in the evening. Should have known better. But so cheap, I’m considering ordering another pair!

#13 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41804 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:04 PM

Wow.  That's insane.  There are things I don't mind paying a little more for but "fashionable" glasses is not one of them.  I wouldn't want my glasses to say WALMART on the side of them but I don't need Armani or Burberry either, no sir.  

I was pretty shocked when I first checked out Zenni.  I have a mild prescription and there were tons of frames with lenses in the sub $30 range.  The cheapest frames...before lenses...at the ophthalmologists office/eyeglass store were $130.  Those companies like Pearle Vision must have been destroyed in the last 10yrs over this.  Or they started selling reasonably priced frames.  i haven't been in one lately but their business model got taken to the woodshed.

#14 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41804 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:12 PM

From the LensCrafters founder (who i presume is no longer with the company):

In 2019, LensCrafters founder E. Dean Butler spoke to the Los Angeles Times, admitting that Luxottica's dominance of the eyewear industry had resulted in price markups of nearly 1,000%. In the interview, Butler noted "You can get amazingly good frames, with a Warby Parker level of quality, for $4 to $8. For $15, you can get designer-quality frames, like what you’d get from Prada.” When told that some eyeglasses cost as much as $800 in the United States, Butler remarked, “I know. It’s ridiculous. It’s a complete rip-off.”

#15 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32905 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:13 PM

I was pretty shocked when I first checked out Zenni.  I have a mild prescription and there were tons of frames with lenses in the sub $30 range.  The cheapest frames...before lenses...at the ophthalmologists office/eyeglass store were $130.  Those companies like Pearle Vision must have been destroyed in the last 10yrs over this.  Or they started selling reasonably priced frames.  i haven't been in one lately but their business model got taken to the woodshed.

Some of the frames on Zenni are $6.   :mellow:

#16 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39300 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:13 PM

Some of the frames on Zenni are $6.   :mellow:

Get that one.

#17 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76815 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:14 PM

Yeah, it's molded plastic with a couple screws. No way they should cost 100$+

#18 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32905 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:14 PM

Get that one.

But it's PINK and GREEN swirl!  :lol:

#19 texred1

texred1

Permanent Comptroller & Pyromaniac

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3377 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:27 PM

My wife easily has 20 pair of glasses from Zenni. They were $15-20 ea with her single vision prescription.

This gives her multiple styles and colors to match damn near anything she wears and cost me very little comparatively.

~dustin

#20 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39300 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:29 PM

Does glasses have predator vision yet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users