#1 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35144 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:00 AM

We had a thread recently about this. I know ken has done a bunch of this kind of travel. There were maybe some links to places that were recommended. I tried to find it but oh well. I’d like to plan something for mid January or so and would love some expert PHBT tips

#2 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32866 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:01 AM

Where do you want to go?  Do you want a resort or something like a VRBO?  If it's a resort, do you want all-inclusive?  Do you want a place that's really open for tourism or something more off-the-map?  

#3 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39246 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:03 AM

Florida, Caribbean, mehico ...

Or you can take a page out of teh vagus book of extreme vacationing and head north to nova scotia.  Stand on the edge of the earth's last bit of warmth and let the icy atlantic crash down around you. 

Where do you want to go?  Do you want a resort or something like a VRBO?  If it's a resort, do you want all-inclusive?  Do you want a place that's really open for tourism or something more off-the-map?  

This guy also turned his neighbors to ghouls with just a look.  Trust at your own risk.

#4 Buzz Buzzard

Buzz Buzzard

Comptroller of Fanatical Political Expressionism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts
  • LocationHere, not there.

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:05 AM

Somewhere that is not a tourist trap.

I live in one. Dont.

Mexico beach Fl is not too over run and they could use the tourist $ after the hurricane.

I was up there 9 months ago and man the after math was a site to behold.

#5 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16681 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:08 AM

I might go to Goa, India in February.

#6 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21351 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:10 AM

How much in water are you looking for? Mid Jan is going to be cold in mid and north Florida. If you are just looking for the view it will be nice since it will not be crowded. But by mid Feb you have to deal with spring break

#7 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32866 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:12 AM

In January, there are no US beaches (except maybe Hawaii) where you would be guaranteed of warm weather.  I like the FL panhandle (Panama City Beach, etc) and the keys and places in NC and SC but not in January.  

The most commercialized and built-up beach destination I've been to is probably Aruba (14 times)... lots of hotels, McDonalds, Wendys, Hooters, American dollars, English is the official language, etc.  Some people love it and some people conclude that they might as well be in Florida.  :P

#8 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35144 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:15 AM

Florida, Caribbean, mehico ...

Or you can take a page out of teh vagus book of extreme vacationing and head north to nova scotia. Stand on the edge of the earth's last bit of warmth and let the icy atlantic crash down around you.

This guy also turned his neighbors to ghouls with just a look. Trust at your own risk.

Our friends have a gorgeous cottage way the F north in Ontario. We might actually be going there for thanksgiving. We have gone in the winter, but not this trip. We do winter camping a few times a year too. Definitely want a beach. VRBO or something like that. Not looking for all inclusive. Great beach, maybe a restaurant or bar or two nearby, but I like cooking on vacation. Definitely need a grocery store and liquor store. Bonus points if the locals will sell me some decent weed

#9 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32866 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:22 AM

I feel like VRBO will make the trip more cost-effective.  Sometimes it can be the difference between going and not going.  But then you don't have the amenities that the resort offers including security.  In Exuma, on the first night we were sleeping in this house that was WAY off the beaten path.  I hear dogs barking around 2am and they're getting closer.  Then I see a flashlight being waved around outside and the barking dogs are louder still.  Nothing happened but it was freaky.  We have gotten VRBOs in Costa Rica, Turks & Caicos, Exuma and a few others.  What you describe sounds like Exuma would work nicely... it's sleepy but the beaches and the water are fantastic.  The people are friendly, I'm sure there is weed and there are three grocery stores in George Town and multiple liquor stores.  Their seafood and veggies were excellent.  They drive on the wrong side of the road... be prepared.  I drove that thing from the northern tip of Exuma to the southern tip of Little Exuma and it's a cool place.  A few bars, restaurants, etc. but otherwise quiet.  Lots of VRBOs available in all price ranges.  

#10 Buzz Buzzard

Buzz Buzzard

Comptroller of Fanatical Political Expressionism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts
  • LocationHere, not there.

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:37 AM

Tampa bay and south you are 90% likely to see 70s or 80s for highs. Little chance of rain.
Just avoid the cities.

#11 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35144 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:40 AM

Hmm I do have family in Clearwater

Some other friends highly recommended Holbox which is a small island off Cancun kinda, a little north I think.

#12 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7894 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:43 AM

We went to Key West in February, but we stayed about 45 minutes north in Marathon.   Rented a house for much cheaper.  It had a pool (with a heater), canoes we could use on the channels, wife rented bikes one day, etc etc   Staying outside of key west proper was best for us.  We went into Key West a couple times but the remainder of our time we did stuff where there weren't tourists.

#13 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35144 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:54 AM

Yeah don’t want a tourist trap.

#14 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32866 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:54 AM

My neighbors go to Sarasota (ish) every February for about 6 weeks.  They get 80s for sure and he tells me that they spend A LOT of time on the beach.  But I don't know that you could count on warm weather and warm water for swimming if that's what you want to do.  We were in Islamorada last year in March and it was really warm.  We biked, hit up a couple of brewpubs, we swam and kayaked, etc.  We drove into Key West too... warm.  But now you're talking March, not January.  I do like Mexico and I feel like your dollar goes further and you generally don't have to think about the weather.  

#15 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35144 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:08 AM

We went to Isla Mujeres a few years back over Halloween. They have Day of the Dead of course and it was cool to see all the kids all dressed up. A little girl dressed as a skeleton gave my wife some candy, it was pretty cute. Isla was fun, although it was a little touristy. I’d go back but might as well try another place. The food and drinks were pretty affordable. Definitely way cheaper than Bermuda lol

#16 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32866 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:16 AM

There is an off-the-map place along Riviera Maya called Puerto Aventuras.  It's between Playa del Carmen and Tulum.  It's off of Mexico 307 and it's gated, which is weird.  It's a little town on the water and there are condos, hotels, etc. with little jettys/waterways coming into the small town.  The center of town is filled with little restaurants and bars, souvenir shops, a dive shop, etc.  No one is allowed into the area without having whatever documentation (I guess I had something from the hotel we stayed at).  The swimming and snorkeling off the beach were great.  There was a little restaurant (called Olè) on the street below our balcony and they had flamenco guitar players that would play each night until about 10:30.  Our balcony had a hammock strung across it and I would lay there and listen, drink my beer and unwind.  From PA you could also grab a bus to PdC and also take the ferry to Cozumel.  You could also go south and see Tulum.  There are ruins around there, cenotes and parks that are really cool.  

#17 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39246 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:19 AM

There is an off-the-map place along Riviera Maya called Puerto Aventuras.  It's between Playa del Carmen and Tulum.  It's off of Mexico 307 and it's gated, which is weird.  It's a little town on the water and there are condos, hotels, etc. with little jettys/waterways coming into the small town.  The center of town is filled with little restaurants and bars, souvenir shops, a dive shop, etc.  No one is allowed into the area without having whatever documentation (I guess I had something from the hotel we stayed at).  The swimming and snorkeling off the beach were great.  There was a little restaurant (called Olè) on the street below our balcony and they had flamenco guitar players that would play each night until about 10:30.  Our balcony had a hammock strung across it and I would lay there and listen, drink my beer and unwind.  From PA you could also grab a bus to PdC and also take the ferry to Cozumel.  You could also go south and see Tulum.  There are ruins around there, cenotes and parks that are really cool.  

So the bars close around 1030 in this concentration camp of ruins and hospice?  Pass.

#18 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32866 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:25 AM

So the bars close around 1030 in this concentration camp of ruins and hospice?  Pass.

No.  The music stops but the bars stay open.  If you plan to go, please alert them in advance so they can stock up on liquor, blood and skin.  :D

#19 Iron Chic

Iron Chic

Not Invalid

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11335 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:32 AM

Croatia gets my vote

#20 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32866 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:33 AM

Croatia gets my vote

Agreed.  Amazing.  Did you hit the islands off the west coast?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users