15 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 11:22 AM

... or "Spicy Fire Chicken with Cheese".  I saw this come through in a NYT cooking email and then found the below video...

I went to my local ethnic market but the 'rice syrup' and whatever 'red pepper powder/flakes' sort of eluded me. I got corn syrup instead and I have red pepper flakes so I'm going to wing it. This is a weird dish (supposedly Korean but then the cheese... sort of like a Korean chef and an Italian chef squared off in the kitchen. Making this tonight.

EDIT:  Also, whatever that spicy pepper paste is in the video, I couldn't find it so I ended up with something called "ground fresh chili paste" and it's not as thick as the stuff in the vid so I might use a bit of tomato paste with it.

#2 BobG

BobG

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3266 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN

Posted 05 August 2019 - 01:09 PM

This is on my 'to make soon' list. Maangchi has a great Kimchi video too.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 01:18 PM

This is on my 'to make soon' list. Maangchi has a great Kimchi video too.

Do you have any idea what her "hot pepper flakes" (which looks powdered to me) or her "hot pepper paste" actually are?  My standard grocery is pretty good ethnicity-wise but I also have a full-blown Asian market nearby.  Also, she had those 'rice cakes' and when she first put them on camera I said WATER CHESTNUTS! but I was wrong.  I looked for the little rice cakes in the store and couldn't find those either.  I did get water chestnuts as a sub.  I'm thinking they're just for texture.

#4 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43053 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 05 August 2019 - 01:43 PM

I figured it was just gochugaru?

Edited by Biker Faux, 05 August 2019 - 01:43 PM.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 01:48 PM

I figured it was just gochugaru?

It does kinda look like THIS so maybe. She didn't say what kind it was. Maybe I should head over to the Asian place.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 02:15 PM

Okay, the place is called SEOUL MARKET... perfect. Here's what I got:

korean-ingredients.jpg

I feel better about this now because it's much, much closer to the ingredients she uses. Does anyone know if the 1/2 cup of pepper flakes plus the 2 tbsp of paste would be mildly spicy, moderate, really spicy? My son and wife are not going to be about serious spice so I might have to cut it down. Also, I saw the rice cakes in long, cigar-like shapes as I was standing in line but I couldn't get to them and the line was kind of long. Use the water chestnuts or just screw it?  Also, in the comment section of that video many people mention adding sauteed onions to the mix and I have to admit I thought about doing that too.  I think I'll add that.

#7 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43053 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 05 August 2019 - 03:48 PM

It does kinda look like THIS so maybe. She didn't say what kind it was. Maybe I should head over to the Asian place.

Mother in Law is a pretty good brand... Made in the US by a Korean guy who learned everything from his MIL :) I believe he was featured on Andrew Zimmern’s show, and WF carries their Kim Chi

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 03:57 PM

Cooking now... 

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 04:37 PM

I made some jasmine rice, asparagus (went for broccoli but it didn't look good) and the chicken buldak.  Pretty tasty.  I used just a bit less of the hot chili powder/flakes than the recipe called for and I thought the heat was right in the kill zone.  My son (19) really liked it and went back for more.

chicken-buldak.jpg

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 05:04 PM

Oh... and when I took it out of the oven I envisioned the same thing with a Mexican tilt instead of a Korean tilt.  Sub out the pepper flakes and paste with Mexican chile powder (Ancho, whatever), a chipotle sauce, take out the soy sauce and ginger, add cumin, onion, etc., top with Monterrey Jack and after you put it on your plate you drizzle some of that Crema Supremo over it.  Huh, huh?   :P

#11 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43053 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 05 August 2019 - 06:23 PM

That might be good, maybe the canned chipotles in Mexican Adobo sauce?

#12 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43053 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 05 August 2019 - 06:26 PM

Back to the OP I’m pretty sure “gochugaru” is the only hot pepper they use in spicy hot Korean food.. I think it comes either in paste, dried flakes, powder, or kimchi(fresh peppers)

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 07:45 PM

I'll have to noodle with it.  The chicken and the way it's cooked is great.  Add Mexican chile powder of some kind, a blended up chipotle in adobo sauce would be good, not sure if the rice syrup, corn syrup, etc. is necessary, keep the garlic, use monterrey jack cheese, add the green onion, etc.  That's all good.  Remove the Korean spices and paste and the ginger and soy sauce.  Add black beans and blistered corn, cumin, etc.  Maybe add some of those french-fried onions on top for some crunch.  Now for a catchy name... Crispy, cheesy chicken with piñata sauce.  :lol:

#14 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43053 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 05 August 2019 - 07:50 PM

Did you try the Korean cheesy corn yet? :devil:

Needs spicy

#15 BobG

BobG

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3266 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:48 AM

Gochujang is the paste. Looks like you got all the right stuff.

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:35 AM

Gochujang is the paste. Looks like you got all the right stuff.

It was excellent.  I think you'll like it if you make it.  Report back if you do.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users