#1 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 14 November 2009 - 03:01 PM

Just got back from taking my BJCP exam, and my hand is cramped from writing! Finished with about 3 minutes to spare, but was able to get all answers complete, and hopefully include enough fluff and spectrum to make up for just a couple minor goofs.Started with T/F questions- 10 or 15 not quite sure, thenQ1 was BJCP history, purpose, rank of judgesQ2 was to build an AG recipe for a weizen/weiisbier I played it safe with ingredients, but bittered to 18 IBUs with Hallertauer, and the profile max is 15 IBUs, whoopsQ3 was compare/contrast mild, brown porter, and southern english brown (I screwed up saying se brown should have an OG averaging 1.050-1.055, was off a few points there)Q4 was list 3 top fermenting beers with OGs less than 1.040, compare /contrast Q5 was discuss history and beers from the 3 brewing regions- Berlin, San Francisco, Senne ValleyQ6 was how to improve: Head retention, Phenols, and ? (cant remember the 3rd!)Q7 was compare/contrast 3 German bottom fermenting beers Q8 was give the purpose for the use of the following in the process: gypsum, finings, krauseningQ9 was to fill out a scoresheet for a world class example of a dunkelweizen, ( nailed it, but forgot to site an actual example- was going to put Scneider Aventinus but I do not remeber doing it!)Our beers to score were:German pils- Bitberger doctored with an old oxidized lager. The organizer admitted the oxidation wasnt too evident scored it a 41Octoberfest- a local microbrew's Berkshire Brewing Co- scored it 38Southern English brown- another local brewpub's- People's Pint, this was a diacetyl filled example that was removed from distribution due to the flavor. Luckily I commented on it and scored it a 27.Baltic porter- Sinebryshoff, was outstanding I scored it a 44. All in all my answers were complete, so I feel like I did well, hopefully 80% or better well.Sorry about the long post :lol: this was a good excercise for me to recollect the grueling 3 hours. Now I am going to relax with a nice BW! :chug:

#2 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 03:24 PM

I forgot there was another question: Describe the malting process and its affect on beer flavor and color.Where that fit in I do not remember, but it definitely was a question! My brain is fried right now!

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18108 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 03:59 PM

I am sure you are glad that is over. Now the long wait to get the results. Good luck!

#4 No Party JKor

No Party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64408 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 November 2009 - 07:14 PM

Congrats dude! Time to kick you feet up and tip back few pints. :lol:

#5 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:46 AM

Congrats Thirsty, I am not judge myself but I know a lot of people that took the exam. I am sure you are glad its over. Hope you can enjoy the rest of the weekend and congrats again. Hope you get some good results and thanks for sharing the questions, interesting to see and definitely not easy.

#6 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 15 November 2009 - 10:53 AM

Good luck to you! Now do some research on drinking the beer. :lol:

#7 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9753 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:30 AM

It sounds like it was a good challenging test and you did well. Best of luck.Like most armchair quarterbacking, it is easy to sit here in front of the screen and think, "hmmm, that doesn't sound all that bad." However, facing that on test day is, I bet, a whole other matter. I have thought from time to time about taking the test. This just reinforces the fact that if I do go for it, I have some studying to do.

#8 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 08:26 AM

It sounds like it was a good challenging test and you did well. Best of luck.Like most armchair quarterbacking, it is easy to sit here in front of the screen and think, "hmmm, that doesn't sound all that bad." However, facing that on test day is, I bet, a whole other matter. I have thought from time to time about taking the test. This just reinforces the fact that if I do go for it, I have some studying to do.

All in all I almost overstudied. The trick is to get all the information into your answer in time, which works out to 12.5 minutes per question/beer judged. So answering the question is easy, however for a complete answer you must include info to fulfill the guidelines:6 points Describe the aroma, appearance, flavor, and mouthfeel of each sub-style as in the BJCP Style Guidelines. 2 points Identify at least one aspect of the ingredients (malts, hops, water chemistry) or background information (history, fermentation techniques and conditions, or serving methods) that distinguishes each sub-style. 1 point For each of the sub-styles, name at least one classic commercial example as listed in the BJCP Style Guidelines. 1 point Describe the similarities and differences between the three sub-styles. So just that portion of answering each question consumes most of the time, and you can fill one whole page easily just with this, then you have to make it all relaye to the actual question asked. Thus the hand cramps.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users