#1 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21184 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:05 AM

If you had the option of working less hours (20-30/wk) and you were still able to meet your basic needs would you?

#2 BFB

BFB

Wind Whisperer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9334 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:09 AM

I would do it. But my needs aren't really basic.

I know this is different but.. One of my customers had an ME say he'd happily work less hours for less money. So now he doesn't work there at all.

#3 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38980 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:18 AM

I think i'd rather just make more money for the same amount of effort i already put in, which is necessary to do the job.

#4 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

Comptroller of ChopSticks & Ghey Bach Chow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5807 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 14 July 2019 - 10:11 AM

I made the move to 4 work days instead of 5 not too long ago(30-35 hrs instead of 40-50 on average). No regrets, but in full disclosure I have supplemental income that had a big part in making the transition.

Never forget time is the most valuable commodity you have. You'll trade it for something no matter what. Is the dollar the best trade? Maybe, maybe not.

Edited by KSUwildcatFAN, 14 July 2019 - 10:13 AM.

#5 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103251 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 14 July 2019 - 10:13 AM

Well the dollar is just storage. You eventually trade it back in for higher quality time. At least, that's how it's *supposed* to be done.

If you bank too much of your time that way, the government decides that somebody else has a greater right to your time than you do.

#6 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75469 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 10:23 AM

If you had the option of working less hours (20-30/wk) and you were still able to meet your basic needs would you?

No.

#7 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15901 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 14 July 2019 - 11:53 AM

If you had asked me 10 years ago, hell yes.

Now?  I kinda like have a lot of disposable income.

#8 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20739 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 14 July 2019 - 12:18 PM

Yes. Long up hill road though since I'm pulling mostly double duty.

I only live once and want to spend more time eventually doing things that I enjoy vs things I need to do to make sure the family stays afloat.  My goal in life is not career prestige, etc.  My goal is to make enough to do what I really want to be doing with my time.

Edited by pods8, 14 July 2019 - 12:19 PM.

#9 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9927 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 14 July 2019 - 12:51 PM

I work 90% time (36 hours) with one long day, which affords me Mondays off. Once the kids are out of daycare and expenses decrease, will cut to 4x8. We're happy with our lifestyle, the retirement and college accounts are well funded, so I don't see why not. I could retire a bit earlier if I put in more hours, but I don't want to put all my eggs in that basket. Realistically, I'll retire when my son finishes college (I'll be 60) as I'm sure we'll help finance that with cash flow in addition to savings.

#10 Zsasz

Zsasz

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38807 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 July 2019 - 12:53 PM

right now I'd work half time or less for the proportional amount of money if I could.

#11 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75469 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 12:56 PM

If anything, I need to figure out how I can double my income without working double the hours!

#12 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9566 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 14 July 2019 - 01:04 PM

Doubtful.  We sometimes get OT where I work (paid) that I couldn't afford to pass up.

Also, with where our finances sit, my wife will likely be able to retire at the end of 2020, which would make me the sole income-earner and billpayer, and I couldn't cover our basic expenses working less than fulltime.

#13 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75469 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 01:26 PM

Also, with where our finances sit, my wife will likely be able to retire at the end of 2020, which would make me the sole income-earner and billpayer, and I couldn't cover our basic expenses working less than fulltime.

Hey! How come she gets to retire before you? :D

#14 deejaydan

deejaydan

Comptroller of Spooning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1032 posts
  • LocationFennville, MI

Posted 14 July 2019 - 01:30 PM

Depends on where you are in life.  I did that about 3 years ago now, lasted about a year and a half before I was bored at work.  So totally bored and underutilized.   Jumped for a 35% pay increase to a new company.  Love it.  But, I can totally see going back to a bored 32-40 hours a week when I'm like 58-62 years old.

#15 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9566 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 14 July 2019 - 01:52 PM

Hey! How come she gets to retire before you? :D

Cuz I'm nice like that.

#16 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58555 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 14 July 2019 - 02:04 PM

Working from home, even at full time solves a lot of the issues

#17 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20739 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 14 July 2019 - 05:58 PM

Depends on where you are in life. I did that about 3 years ago now, lasted about a year and a half before I was bored at work. So totally bored and underutilized. Jumped for a 35% pay increase to a new company. Love it. But, I can totally see going back to a bored 32-40 hours a week when I'm like 58-62 years old.

Did you do other enjoyable/fulfilling things in your remaining time? I have a hard time imagining finding myself with more time to do the many things I WANT to be doing boring. So many projects, so many activities, so much stuff to see and do.

#18 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41334 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 July 2019 - 06:02 PM

No.

#19 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

Comptroller of ChopSticks & Ghey Bach Chow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5807 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 14 July 2019 - 06:14 PM

If anything, I need to figure out how I can double my income without working double the hours!

Nothing is impossible, but the best way to really make money is to stop working for other people. It's also a way to make zero money.

#20 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103251 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 14 July 2019 - 06:14 PM

Wouldn't the smarter thing just to be finding something you are good at and enjoy as a "project," but that is valuable enough to somebody else to pay you for it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users