71 replies to this topic

#21 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:49 AM

trying something new here.  primed the kegs with sugar solution, put dry hops in and racked beer on top to hopefully scrub O2 out of my dry hopping process.

keg 1: 1.5 oz chinook, 1 oz citra, 2.5 oz simcoe

keg 2: 2.5oz mosaic, 1oz amarillo, 1.5oz simcoe

I like both of those hop combinations. 70F should work good for both of your purposes.

#22 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:13 AM

trying something new here.  primed the kegs with sugar solution, put dry hops in and racked beer on top to hopefully scrub O2 out of my dry hopping process.

keg 1: 1.5 oz chinook, 1 oz citra, 2.5 oz simcoe

keg 2: 2.5oz mosaic, 1oz amarillo, 1.5oz simcoe

I have not used those ratios but used both those combinations and they are both winners in my book.

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 July 2019 - 01:53 PM

so how do I know when the "keg conditioning" is done?  when I used to bottle I'd just wait a couple of weeks, throw a bottle in the fridge and try it out but now I only have two giant bottles :P

#24 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 03:04 PM

so how do I know when the "keg conditioning" is done? when I used to bottle I'd just wait a couple of weeks, throw a bottle in the fridge and try it out but now I only have two giant bottles :P

Wait till the pressure stops moving and give it a couple days and chill it.

#25 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 July 2019 - 03:49 PM

Wait till the pressure stops moving and give it a couple days and chill it.

hmmmm, one of them is filled up to the gas post (whoops!) so I probably won't be able to check that one but I can check the other one I guess.

#26 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 04:07 PM

A hit of the prv would give you an idea.

#27 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 July 2019 - 04:15 PM

I stuck my spunding valve on the not overfilled keg.  it's set to something really high so it won't vent but it should give me a rough idea of the current PSI.

#28 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:45 AM

So maybe I didn't put enough sugar in there?? Seems like it should have been enough and given that the fermentation had only been going for a week there should be plenty of yeast to get the job done.

But I hot the headspace with 30 psi and it still drops to 20 psi by morning indicating that the carbonation level isn't super high yet. So annoyed I forgot to spund during primary like usual!!!

#29 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 July 2019 - 05:33 AM

I think I'm seeing indications that it's carbonating based on psi holding our maybe going up a little. Phew! So normally I dry hop cold and leave the hops in the serving keg. Is there a reason I can't do that this time?

#30 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 06:56 AM

I think I'm seeing indications that it's carbonating based on psi holding our maybe going up a little. Phew! So normally I dry hop cold and leave the hops in the serving keg. Is there a reason I can't do that this time?

Should be fine.  I mean I would not dryhop cold but that is me.  Leaving them in will be OK 

#31 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:24 AM

Should be fine. I mean I would not dryhop cold but that is me. Leaving them in will be OK

I've had pretty good luck with it but if this turns out better than usual maybe I'll consider changing my ways.

#32 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:39 AM

I think that hops express themselves better warmer for a dryhop but I realize this is all a personal preference.

#33 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:49 AM

I think that hops express themselves better warmer for a dryhop but I realize this is all a personal preference.

For me the issue is mostly about my general process. I like to spund in primary (when I remember ;)), cold crash to drop out yeast and stuff, then transfer to serving vessels. To dry hop warm I'd have to add the hops at the end of primary I guess and then chill and have no dry hops in the serving keg. Might be worth a shot.

Edited by Zsasz, 11 July 2019 - 07:50 AM.

#34 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:13 PM

I've poured a couple of half pints off one of the kegs and things are seeming fairly carbonated.  part of the reason is that I'm trying to get the beer level somewhere below gas tube  :blush:

but in any event the beer is tasting pretty good considering I haven't cold crashed it at all yet.  I'm thinking with a little bit of clearing up it's going to be great :D

eta:  obviously hard to tell right now but this beer has a really nice soft malt character that I'm liking right now.  considering the IBUs mostly coming from chinook the bitterness isn't very harsh.

Edited by Zsasz, 12 July 2019 - 12:18 PM.

#35 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 July 2019 - 04:08 AM

well the pressure keeps building.  up to 40 PSI on one of the kegs at 70F!  hopefully it stops soon.

#36 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 04:48 AM

Damn! Charts only take me to 65/30psi. You may serve this keg with no co2!

#37 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 July 2019 - 10:48 AM

I just want to make sure the yeast is done before I chill so I don't leave sugar in there.

#38 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 July 2019 - 04:32 AM

over 40 PSI now!!!!

#39 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 12:42 PM

I moved a beer to spund before I left yesterday and set a camera so I could see the psi and still reading zero. I have a leak and I can't do anything till Wednesday :(

#40 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 July 2019 - 12:46 PM

I moved a beer to spund before I left yesterday and set a camera so I could see the psi and still reading zero. I have a leak and I can't do anything till Wednesday :(

Doh! Wish I lived closer. No Homebrewing people near by that could help you out?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users