What's the low-down? 

#2 SugarTits

SugarTits

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43257 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:47 PM

If it is along your travel route, you will enjoy it. Prices are not bad, better burgers than the mega chains. If it is not along your travel route, you will enjoy it a few times and forget it is in your town.

#3 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59119 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:54 PM

solid across the board, deluxe double (bacon if you choose) basket w/ everything, cheese curds if you don't like crinkle cut fries (I happen to like their fries, not 5 guys quality but decent when they are crispy vs soft).

#4 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22926 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:58 PM

If it is along your travel route, you will enjoy it. Prices are not bad, better burgers than the mega chains. If it is not along your travel route, you will enjoy it a few times and forget it is in your town.

YSYWM

Just picked up my 15 year old son from a rehearsal... he says he's hungry.  Culver's it is!  You won't forget about it.

I don't know... it might be because it is Wisconsin, but Culver's has more of a hometown feel to it than the other chains.  The burgers are great.  The other sandwiches are good too.  I'm partial to the pork tenderloin with lettuce, tomato and mustard.  

Get yourself a single scoop Caramel Cashew Delight your first outing. Their custard is really good.  You won't be disappointed.  

#5 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59119 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:06 PM

YSYWM

Just picked up my 15 year old son from a rehearsal... he says he's hungry.  Culver's it is!  You won't forget about it.

I don't know... it might be because it is Wisconsin, but Culver's has more of a hometown feel to it than the other chains.  The burgers are great.  The other sandwiches are good too.  I'm partial to the pork tenderloin with lettuce, tomato and mustard.  

Get yourself a single scoop Caramel Cashew Delight your first outing. Their custard is really good.  You won't be disappointed.  

I am too.  but it only scratches an itch, its not a truly good tenderloin sammich.  for a fast food version tho it is indeed palatable and I will have it as often as I have the burgers

#6 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104215 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:29 PM

They're good. Respectable curds. Good burgers and shakes. Fries... Well kind of like ore-ida from a bag.

#7 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1967 posts
  • LocationIndependence, MO

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:53 PM

I tend to agree with this. If I don't see it, I don't think about it. Other burgers are as good/better. Other frozen custard is as good/better. I usually enjoy it when I do go there.

Edited by jimdkc, 12 June 2019 - 09:54 PM.

#8 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76650 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:31 AM

You have to pass freddy's to get to Culver's here so I pretty much stick with freddy's

#9 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7891 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:33 AM

I really like Culver's.   Occasionally they have a walleye sandwich that is good.

i'm a big fan of their burgers.  Nothing special, but always the same and good.

#10 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19427 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:35 AM

Freddy’s good? Not one local, but went to the Culver’s in Glenwood Springs once to see what the hubbub was about. Was pretty good.

#11 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76650 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:36 AM

Freddy's is in my top 3 fast food places.

#12 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29511 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:41 AM

You have to pass freddy's to get to Culver's here so I pretty much stick with freddy's

I've recently discovered Freddy's and even though I don't eat many burgers anymore it's my go-to for fast food.

Sadly, the thin fries don't survive the trip home so it's eat inside with the Great Unwashed or in the truck in the parking lot.

Love the spicy fry sauce!

#13 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19427 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:42 AM

I’ll have check one out next time in GJ or Denver.

#14 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10013 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:42 AM

Freddy's is another good burger, mediocre fries place in my opinion. I know a few people here like the fries.

#15 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31596 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:51 AM

The thing about Culver's is that it's like a diner that got franchised.  You could eat there every day for two weeks without having a burger a second time.  The variety might even outstrip places like Appleby's.  They have fried fish, tenderloin sandwiches, pulled pork, pot roast, fried chicken, chili, soups, chicken strips and sandwiches, Reubens, plus a dozen burger variations.  Plus fries, curds, onion rings, or jalapeno poppers for sandwich wingman and mashed potatoes, green beans, corn, rolls for plated "dinners."  And then whole custard operation more elaborate than Dairy Queen.  I don't know how they keep a menu that large profitable, actually.

But if you've only ever had the burgers, I suggest you try a pot roast sandwich next time.  It's braised beef with a texture like pulled pork but not barbecued.  And the fried chicken is really great, as well.  It tastes like somebody made it in their home kitchen rather than the factory-produced thing that KFC etc can seem like.

#16 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10579 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 13 June 2019 - 06:05 AM

We got both here in recent years. Freddy’s is pretty much better in every way.

Culver’s isn’t bad. Their curds are okay, but theirs are like a bread crumb coating, and I FAR prefer battered versions.

Burgers are good. Better than other fast food chains

#17 BeersBeers24/7

BeersBeers24/7

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5511 posts
  • LocationAshevegas!

Posted 13 June 2019 - 06:16 AM

+1

However I rarely eat fast food. I tried it once though. Was good from what I remember.

#18 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27269 posts
  • LocationKC - Kansas side

Posted 13 June 2019 - 06:20 AM

Everything deep fried at ours is a greasy soggy mess.  It took n=3 to convince me to never go back.

#19 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59119 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 13 June 2019 - 06:25 AM

The thing about Culver's is that it's like a diner that got franchised. You could eat there every day for two weeks without having a burger a second time. The variety might even outstrip places like Appleby's. They have fried fish, tenderloin sandwiches, pulled pork, pot roast, fried chicken, chili, soups, chicken strips and sandwiches, Reubens, plus a dozen burger variations. Plus fries, curds, onion rings, or jalapeno poppers for sandwich wingman and mashed potatoes, green beans, corn, rolls for plated "dinners." And then whole custard operation more elaborate than Dairy Queen. I don't know how they keep a menu that large profitable, actually.

But if you've only ever had the burgers, I suggest you try a pot roast sandwich next time. It's braised beef with a texture like pulled pork but not barbecued. And the fried chicken is really great, as well. It tastes like somebody made it in their home kitchen rather than the factory-produced thing that KFC etc can seem like.

they also have a seasonal shaved prime rib sammich occasionally, feckin good

#20 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29511 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 13 June 2019 - 07:56 AM

I've found that, most of the time, the more on the menu the worse everything is...like it's hard to do 50 things consistently right.

I'd give Culvers props if everything on the menu was good.

My favorite places have a smaller menu and concentrate on getting those items right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users