#1 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57812 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:42 AM

coming back from picking up the fridge yesterday, power steering started to groan, fluid dripping, I'm leaving friday with it to AL with a trailerload of crap, can't work on it til I get back.  I'm seriously about 1 more 'event' from trading it. 

current pending repairs: power steering (about $350 estimate), passenger side exhaust manifold (about $600 - parts only $60, total bitch to do)

just had $2k worth of engine work done (running great now)

feck

#2 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14479 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:08 AM

Isn't this truck the Ram eco diesel you brag about?

#3 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57812 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:10 AM

Isn't this truck the Ram eco diesel you brag about?

no, that's my brothers

mine is still the 2005 f150, I'm approaching 200k on the clock, it's time to go soon anyway but I kinda think its worth holding onto and just use it as a utility truck down south once the move is complete, let the young un learn to drive it, use it to haul shit around, etc. 

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14363 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:21 AM

no, that's my brothers

mine is still the 2005 f150, I'm approaching 200k on the clock, it's time to go soon anyway but I kinda think its worth holding onto and just use it as a utility truck down south once the move is complete, let the young un learn to drive it, use it to haul shit around, etc. 

That is what my 2006 is used for these days.  Although it did die a couple weeks ago in the car wash and I have been skeptical to drive it since.

#5 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38617 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:54 AM

That is what my 2006 is used for these days.  Although it did die a couple weeks ago in the car wash and I have been skeptical to drive it since.

Just get it dirty again and it'll run fine.

#6 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57812 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:59 AM

fuel pump control module.  if you haven't done it yet, you need to look into it, that thing stranded me and the mechanic told me he was surprised mine had lasted that long (about 120k).

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14363 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:07 AM

fuel pump control module.  if you haven't done it yet, you need to look into it, that thing stranded me and the mechanic told me he was surprised mine had lasted that long (about 120k).

I will look into it.  I really think something got wet as it stalled during the wash and fired back up 2 hours latter with some sputtering.

#8 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57812 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:13 AM

I will look into it.  I really think something got wet as it stalled during the wash and fired back up 2 hours latter with some sputtering.

exactly.  the module is mounted under the truck behind a metal shield and it corrodes like a MFer.  when the mech showed me mine I was fecking baffled by it.  why would you not mount something like that INSIDE or at the very least at a high point in the engine compartment like the other ECM's in there.  bad design.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14363 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:39 AM

exactly.  the module is mounted under the truck behind a metal shield and it corrodes like a MFer.  when the mech showed me mine I was fecking baffled by it.  why would you not mount something like that INSIDE or at the very least at a high point in the engine compartment like the other ECM's in there.  bad design.

Okay.  That makes sense then.  I did some reading when it happened and saw something was under the truck by the spare but did not spend much time researching it.

#10 Car ChuckRam

Car ChuckRam

Rami!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7861 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:34 PM

Ford does a lot of odd shit. Example, my 01 F150. The fecking cruise control had me baffled. There is a cruise control stop valve and speed control module on the front of the master cylinder. It was prone to failure, and leaked by, causing the ECM to think the brake pedal was depressed, thus not allowing the cruise to turn on. I put in a brand new one ($19, and five minutes). Nothing. I dig a little deeper into the Ford forums, and discover a recall on that part. I go to the junkyard, and can’t find a recall replacement tagged one in a truck, but I find one in an Expedition for $5.

Nothing. I go to the Library, and borrow the fecking Chilton’s Shop Service Manual. I’ve done everything the service manual says to do.

I go back to the Ford forums, and do another search for cruise control, and on page 18, I find a post about the high stop brake light behind the cab. Turns out, it’s also a cruise control stop. If the bulb burns out, the ECM thinks the brake pedal is depressed and won’t turn on the cruise. Sure enough mine was burned out. Replaced the bulb, and bingo, bango, Bob’s your uncle, cruise control works.

Thwarted by a fecking $2 lightbulb.

#11 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7815 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:40 PM

Damn I will try and remember all this. I have a '02 F150 my oldest is currently driving. It has 110K but I know issues are soon coming. It's been a good one thus far, owned it since 11K miles when it was 5 yrs old. 

#12 Ineedacatscan

Ineedacatscan

Comptroller of BAW!!!1!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3523 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:11 PM

I’m looking at taking over my FIL’s F150 for the cost of repairs. Prob 1200$ worth it for us. We’d put maybe 1000-1500 miles on it a year. So if it lasts 2-3 years. We’re way out ahead.

But it’s had a hard life. Horse trailers and mountain climbs and whatnot.

#13 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57812 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:07 PM

Damn I will try and remember all this. I have a '02 F150 my oldest is currently driving. It has 110K but I know issues are soon coming. It's been a good one thus far, owned it since 11K miles when it was 5 yrs old. 

many of the problems I mention are specific to the 04-08 body style with the 5.4L motor

#14 miccullen

miccullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 62161 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:35 PM

Ford does a lot of odd shit. Example, my 01 F150. The fecking cruise control had me baffled. There is a cruise control stop valve and speed control module on the front of the master cylinder. It was prone to failure, and leaked by, causing the ECM to think the brake pedal was depressed, thus not allowing the cruise to turn on. I put in a brand new one ($19, and five minutes). Nothing. I dig a little deeper into the Ford forums, and discover a recall on that part. I go to the junkyard, and can’t find a recall replacement tagged one in a truck, but I find one in an Expedition for $5.

Nothing. I go to the Library, and borrow the fecking Chilton’s Shop Service Manual. I’ve done everything the service manual says to do.

I go back to the Ford forums, and do another search for cruise control, and on page 18, I find a post about the high stop brake light behind the cab. Turns out, it’s also a cruise control stop. If the bulb burns out, the ECM thinks the brake pedal is depressed and won’t turn on the cruise. Sure enough mine was burned out. Replaced the bulb, and bingo, bango, Bob’s your uncle, cruise control works.

Thwarted by a fecking $2 lightbulb.

my '95 had the same issue with sensor on the master cylinder, it shorted out, I swapped it for used one from an f-250 14 years ago, thanks for the heads up on the cab light

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users