#21 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21446 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 11 June 2019 - 08:13 PM

I am not sold about using a shielded cable on a long run out to a remote point. How confident are you that you can get a good solid common ground referenced between the two point? If you do not get a good ground, you could end up “standing” one end and doing more harm than good. Any way you can lift the ground if needed?

The magic in a CAT 5 or 6 cable is the twisted pairs and the interference cancelling in the cable construction.

Standard CAT 5 and CAT 6 is not a shielded cable.

#22 Fred Beefsteak

Fred Beefsteak

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31036 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:59 AM

I am not sold about using a shielded cable on a long run out to a remote point. How confident are you that you can get a good solid common ground referenced between the two point? If you do not get a good ground, you could end up “standing” one end and doing more harm than good. Any way you can lift the ground if needed?

The magic in a CAT 5 or 6 cable is the twisted pairs and the interference cancelling in the cable construction.

Standard CAT 5 and CAT 6 is not a shielded cable.

Its not but if I’m running outside, underground it’s going to be shielded

#23 Buzz Buzzard

Buzz Buzzard

Comptroller of Fanatical Political Expressionism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9829 posts
  • LocationHere, not there.

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:14 AM

The eap specs call for shielding and grounding if installed outdoors.

#24 Fred Beefsteak

Fred Beefsteak

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31036 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:37 AM

If you’re running a cat5 for a fiber service with only internet you only need to ground your service at the point of demarcation where it comes to the house... Anything “below the line”(past the demarc) doesn’t need to be grounded.. it’s low voltage, you’re covered

#25 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21446 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:26 AM

The eap specs call for shielding and grounding if installed outdoors.

I am not familiar with EAP. Grounding is the key here and specifically what I mentioned it.

If you do not have a good ground reference between your two points, shielded cable is a detriment, not a benefit. In your environment of running a cable from your house and out 250 feet, what have you done to ensure adequate ground reference between the two points?

I have lifted shields due to inadequate grounding on runs much less than 250 feet, inside the same building, same transformer. You are compounding the problem with longer distance and who knows what power drop?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users