#1 Buzz Buzzard

Buzz Buzzard

Comptroller of Fanatical Political Expressionism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9827 posts
  • LocationHere, not there.

Posted 11 June 2019 - 12:08 PM

I've got power underground coming in and out of the barn in 2 directions, fibre optic cable coming in.

I need to put some cat 6 ish cable out in the pasture so my outdoor EAP can fill the pastures with high quality, um brew board content.

(and moar security cams)

I can use a subsoiler but would REALLY hate to hit the power feeds or the fiber.  I want to go to the power pole that is about 250 away from the barn AND where the power goes underground to come in to the barn.

If I only go about 6 inches deep, it should be safe right?

#2 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 74335 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 12:13 PM

I say yes. 6 inches should be fine for network cable.

Power feed should be at least 18in down

#3 Fred Beefsteak

Fred Beefsteak

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31036 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 11 June 2019 - 12:16 PM

Your fiber dig should be at 18”... Power at 24”... Do yourself a favor, and contact dig alert... Your “compound” is in Kentucky? Call (502)-266-5677.. Save yourself peace of mind... They will locate and flag the paths, then you can decide where to dig.. Trust me I’m pretty med... I’ve seen lots of guys who thought they knew what they were doing, hit telco plant and end up paying 3-5x the repair costs because they didn’t bother to call it in...

You’ll want a box of this, and conduit... DONOT direct bury the wire... this isn’t copper 2 pair drop cable, and it won’t last

https://www.amazon.c...1_X2..CbJ5GCH3C

Edited by Fred Beefsteak, 11 June 2019 - 12:18 PM.

#4 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4795 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 June 2019 - 12:18 PM

When our installers bury drop wires, they just go under the sod. I'd certainly prefer them to be deeper, but that's what they do. Make sure the wire is rated for direct burial. If possible, bury a 1" pvc conduit or PEX. Use a shop vac to get a pull string through it and run the cable through the pipe. If the pipe isn't practical, keep good records of the cable route so you can find it before other digging projects.

#5 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10294 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 12:19 PM

Whatever you do, bury conduit and put it in there. 

#6 Fred Beefsteak

Fred Beefsteak

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31036 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 11 June 2019 - 12:21 PM

You direct bury fiber drops? Fuuuuuuuck... We’ve not directed buried copper drops since 1994, but that because of the Northridge earthquake, and changes to the GEC...

Conduit is the only way to go, because it’s easy to replace

#7 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4795 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 June 2019 - 12:21 PM

I just saw Moon's post, I'll defer to him as this is more in his wheelhouse. I've never dealt with wiring this thin. Our copper drops are direct buried barely under the sod.

#8 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4795 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 June 2019 - 12:25 PM

You direct bury fiber drops? Fuuuuuuuck... We’ve not directed buried copper drops since 1994, but that because of the Northridge earthquake, and changes to the GEC...

I don't know what they do with fiber, I think they still plow them in with a line ward, but I only deal with the f1&f2. We just started in the fiber to the prem a couple of years ago, and we have concentrated on aerial f2 plant so far.

#9 Fred Beefsteak

Fred Beefsteak

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31036 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 11 June 2019 - 12:26 PM

Unless there’s a copper/vulcanized rubber shielded CAT5/6 cable out there, you want a conduit..

Dave McG is a total Jonard! Don’t listen to him :troll:

#10 Fred Beefsteak

Fred Beefsteak

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31036 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 11 June 2019 - 12:28 PM

I don't know what they do with fiber, I think they still plow them in with a line ward, but I only deal with the f1&f2. We just started in the fiber to the prem a couple of years ago, and we have concentrated on aerial f2 plant so far.

We use a pneumatic drive torpedo to “missle” underneath the soil, then we’ll stuff the home with conduit, then run a mule tape, then a fiber drop.. Well I won’t.. I don’t fvcking dig :D

#11 Buzz Buzzard

Buzz Buzzard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9827 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 12:50 PM

I was going to go with a flooded direct bury cable like this one and potentially place it in conduit as well.

This is the cable type, I'll buy a box of it not the pre assembled.

https://www.amazon.c...TLCBXLNI5&psc=0

It will carry POE to the EAP so I like the thick cables.  AND VERY MUCH the grounding/shielding.

I know cat 7 is a shtick.

https://www.youtube....h?v=FBvMnvNXwQI

#12 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10294 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 01:12 PM

To me, the advantage of conduit is it protects the cable, makes it easier to replace/repair/upgrade and offers some future proofing. Maybe you want cable TV out there some day or something.

Now, if the cable is cheap and not a big deal to replace, I might just half ass it and deal with it if anything happens.

If I was already running new utilities though, I'd look to drop some conduit in a trench and install it nicely into the building while you're making a mess.

#13 Fred Beefsteak

Fred Beefsteak

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31036 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 11 June 2019 - 01:36 PM

I was going to go with a flooded direct bury cable like this one and potentially place it in conduit as well.

This is the cable type, I'll buy a box of it not the pre assembled.

https://www.amazon.c...TLCBXLNI5&psc=0

It will carry POE to the EAP so I like the thick cables. AND VERY MUCH the grounding/shielding.

I know cat 7 is a shtick.

https://www.youtube....h?v=FBvMnvNXwQI

CAT=Category 5= how many mm twist on each pair of wire... you will never know the difference between cat5 and cat6... I haven’t heard of cat7, but you’re right.. it’s BS.. Ca3 is pots line only

#14 Buzz Buzzard

Buzz Buzzard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9827 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 01:56 PM

The cat 7 is a non tia standard that has all but died.
It offers heavier gauge wires and 2x the shielding of 6a.
Pluses for my install of the PASTURE NET TM.
Its 6a compliant tho.

#15 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102090 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 11 June 2019 - 01:58 PM

There's direct bury fiber here.

#16 Fred Beefsteak

Fred Beefsteak

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31036 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 11 June 2019 - 02:02 PM

To me, the advantage of conduit is it protects the cable, makes it easier to replace/repair/upgrade and offers some future proofing. Maybe you want cable TV out there some day or something.

Now, if the cable is cheap and not a big deal to replace, I might just half ass it and deal with it if anything happens.

If I was already running new utilities though, I'd look to drop some conduit in a trench and install it nicely into the building while you're making a mess.

You want the conduit... in the unlikely event your conduit protected wire takes a shit, it will take hour(tops) to replace... In the more than likely scenario that your direct buried wire takes a shit, that’s an all day project...

#17 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4795 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 June 2019 - 02:53 PM

There's direct bury fiber here.

When we trench a new subdivision, we drop primary, secondary, catv and telco in the open trench. These days all the communication stuff is fiber. It's all direct buried on the network side around here.

#18 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21446 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:27 PM

I've got power underground coming in and out of the barn in 2 directions, fibre optic cable coming in.

I need to put some cat 6 ish cable out in the pasture so my outdoor EAP can fill the pastures with high quality, um brew board content.

(and moar security cams)

I can use a subsoiler but would REALLY hate to hit the power feeds or the fiber.  I want to go to the power pole that is about 250 away from the barn AND where the power goes underground to come in to the barn.

If I only go about 6 inches deep, it should be safe right?

250 feet is skirting the max CAT lengths.  The spec allows 295 feet of horizontal cable. In the real world, it is not as if your signal will die at 296 feet. Still you have other variables in play. Quality of cable installed. how close to the CAT spec does it comply? What about the connectors and termination? How good are the electronics on the ports of the transmit and receive devices? When you are talking consumer equipment and budget friendly materials and tools, there could be more loss than you like. You also have to be aware of misadventure and mechanical damage to your cable. Does not take of a bend or a kink to throw a CAT cable into poor performance.

I am not telling it won't work. Just some things to think about.

#19 Buzz Buzzard

Buzz Buzzard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9827 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:29 PM

I agree, this spot is the most ideal for covering the property, and looking at it again, perhaps 150 is a better estimate of distance.
The linked cat 7 cable is specifically my choice because it's loss should be lower.
I'm also wondering how permanent this, right now cable goes to the barn.
When we build there in a few months we'll have to get connectivity to the house primarily. So this line may be short lived.
Alternatively I mount the Eap on the side of the barn, but that building will cast a shadow on the coverage to the back corner cedar grove, if I give the gate line of site.

#20 Buzz Buzzard

Buzz Buzzard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9827 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:32 PM

61XpMZ3DbeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users