#1301 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16848 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 01 September 2019 - 05:05 PM

mine is a '99 (69k miles). My 15.5 year old if it could be his college car, I will get a new one if that happens.

I had an early one, 3rd year or so. Had it 10 years. Changed the tires once (I believe), routine oil changes, and that's it. I also had a Triumph TR-6 that I loved. Huge difference on maintenance, tho...

#1302 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42156 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:04 PM

I've been picking the kids up in the 911 this week. They want their friends to see them getting picled up in a sports car. Today the 5th grader was out with her after school program when i picked her up. Her little buddies all were by the road waving to her as we pulled away. I asked her if we should give them a show, she gave me the go ahead so i did an all out acceleration through first and second pulling out of the school. She got a kick out of it. I did too. :D

Maybe wasn't the best idea to run it up to 70 in a school zone though. :o

#1303 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33294 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:09 PM

Car looks sweet.  

#1304 BlackBeerd

BlackBeerd

Comptroller of Stain's Junk Posting

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16139 posts
  • LocationA Drunken Stupor

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:26 AM

my 8 year old loves the Miata because he has to sit up front. And i let him shift from 1-2 and 3-4.

That brought back a fun memory. My dad had a white 1960 Biscayne. Being the youngest of four, I had to sit in the front seat between mom and dad. The car had a three on the tree and he would let me shift it. I was maybe four at the time.  

#1305 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35477 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:52 AM

mice avoid steel wool like the plague.

Weren’t plague fleas all over mice?

#1306 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42156 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:37 AM

This whole experience has made me realize I want to own a bunch of cars.  I think if I was going to put together a 'stable' I would start with a 90s Viper, C5/C6 Z06 and an E39 M5.

#1307 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35477 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:19 AM

There’s room in the barn, no? I say go for it. You work hard, you should have toys. Takes a little time to find the right ones but you could easily do that in 5 years if you set your mind to it

#1308 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42156 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:21 AM

I can find room.  The plan is to build a detached garage eventually, too.  I probably have enough room for an L-shaped 5-stall.  I'm not in a hurry but I said that about buying a 911, too.  :D

#1309 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35477 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:37 AM

You didn’t buy a Porsch to go slow. Once you get hooked on speed, tho

#1310 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36595 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:55 PM

Have fun with it dude just try to save some meow for the rest of us ok?

#1311 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42156 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 September 2019 - 01:30 PM

That's probably the cleanest option but i hate covering stuff up with the foam. I may do that and re-route the electrical in exterior conduits.

I looked at the cost of teh DOW bulk packs of spray foam.  It's insanely expensive to do it that way.  If I completely fill the cavities we're probably talking over $10,000.  Even a 1" layer will be thousands of dollars.  I can't imagine this is cost effective.

#1312 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35477 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 14 September 2019 - 01:35 PM

What does that do for the car? I missed that part

#1313 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42156 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 September 2019 - 02:31 PM

We were talking about replacing the old droopy fiberglass insulation in the ceiling above the car.

#1314 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35477 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 14 September 2019 - 03:23 PM

Ahhh yeah. Projects never end

#1315 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3900 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 03:23 PM

I’m curious if there’s a big break for wholesale purchases on the stuff?
Seems like there must be for builders to be using it as much as they seem to.

#1316 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3900 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 03:58 PM

I looked at the cost of teh DOW bulk packs of spray foam. It's insanely expensive to do it that way. If I completely fill the cavities we're probably talking over $10,000. Even a 1" layer will be thousands of dollars. I can't imagine this is cost effective.

Looking at the specs I see on a local wholesale acoustical supply house it looks like 1” provides an r value of around 6.5 so a 2” layer would be pretty close to a standard 2x4 batting insulation at r12-14 but there seems to be a much higher efficiency of the insulation with foam due to the fact that it seals all airflow vs batting that still allows drafts around the batting.
How many square feet do you need to cover?
Amazon has a 2600 square foot kit for $3100 at 1” thickness. Which seems like it would be maybe half of what you’d want. I’d think it would also be much better at rodent control as well.
I could check the local supplier on wholesale cost easily enough. I may actually do that anyway since the cabin I’ve been working on hasn’t sold and I may end up buying it and would want to re insulate most of the roof and floor.

#1317 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42156 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 15 September 2019 - 07:50 PM

Looking at the specs I see on a local wholesale acoustical supply house it looks like 1” provides an r value of around 6.5 so a 2” layer would be pretty close to a standard 2x4 batting insulation at r12-14 but there seems to be a much higher efficiency of the insulation with foam due to the fact that it seals all airflow vs batting that still allows drafts around the batting.
How many square feet do you need to cover?
Amazon has a 2600 square foot kit for $3100 at 1” thickness. Which seems like it would be maybe half of what you’d want. I’d think it would also be much better at rodent control as well.
I could check the local supplier on wholesale cost easily enough. I may actually do that anyway since the cabin I’ve been working on hasn’t sold and I may end up buying it and would want to re insulate most of the roof and floor.

My company makes residential spray foam.  I think I need to talk to a few people and find out if some has "fallen off the truck" lately.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users